Martina on Venus, Lindsay and co. - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2005, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Under Carlos Moya
Posts: 4,919
                     
Martina on Venus, Lindsay and co.

From her column in "the Guardian" Monday July 4, 2005

.......The only consolation for Roddick and the rest is that the pecking order can change very suddenly in tennis. Venus Williams proved that with Saturday's stunning victory. What makes Venus's achievement all the more impressive is that it's so hard to get out of the kind of slump she was in. It's much easier to doubt yourself than it is to believe that you can do it and it only takes one person to ask you about the fact that you are not playing well and to put the negative thoughts in your head. Venus faced up to that and found a way to overcome the negativity.

Before this Wimbledon it was obvious that Venus didn't have much confidence and she also wasn't hitting the ball as hard or moving as well. Then, suddenly, in the second week, she turned into the player she was four years ago, and if she can back this performance, she is a contender for the No1 ranking.

That said I don't think that Venus is going to go from here and dominate the women's game because I don't see anybody doing that this year as it's such a wide open race for year-end No1. It's a truly fascinating time for women's tennis with players of different styles, different ages, and different personalities all competing. It could be Maria Sharapova, Lindsay Davenport, Justine Henin-Hardenne, Kim Clijsters, Venus Williams or, if she can get herself fit again, Serena Williams.

I wrote in this column during the first week of the Championships that it was unwise to write off the Williams sisters. I didn't think Serena had a chance to win but after seeing how Venus handled Jill Craybas, who had knocked Serena out, I think she was a different person. It was as if the moment Venus knew she wasn't going to have to face Serena, a big weight was lifted off her.

There are always opponents that you have a hang-up about and when they lose it gives you a big lift. As soon as Venus didn't have to worry about her sister any more, she could just play ball.

As much as Venus winning is great for the game, I do feel a great deal of empathy for Lindsay Davenport. I never lost a final being up a match-point so I can only imagine how devastating this loss is. You just want that moment back so you can do things differently.

The fairytale for Davenport now is to put it behind her and try to win the US Open. If she does that I would make a bet she will retire, just as I'm sure she'd have called it a day if she had won Wimbledon, because everybody wants to ride off into the sunset as a champion. I'm sure she regrets ever saying that she was going to retire because after a while it becomes a distraction to keep being asked about it. I'm certainly sorry that I ever said, in both 1994 and last year, that I was playing my last season because it means that, like Davenport, I get asked about it after every match I play........................

Traits Gandhi considered the most spiritually perilous to humanity.
*Wealth without Work * Pleasure without Conscience

*Science without Humanity *Knowledge without Character

*Politics without Principle *Commerce without Morality

*Worship without Sacrifice
Andy T is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: United States
Posts: 7,274
                     
nice article.

The WTA Women of Wonder Featuring....The Goddess: Venus Williams The Glamazon: Serena Williams The Lioness: Jennifer Capriati The High Priestess: Monica Seles The Saint: Kim Clijsters The Phoenix: Chanda Rubin The Bon Vivant: Amelie Mauresmo The Titan: Lindsay Davenport The Courtesan: Anna Kournikova The Exile: Martina Hingis The Sorceress: Anatasia Myskina The Minx: Maria Sharapova
Cybelle Darkholme is offline  
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 188
                     
great piece of writing Martin.
Club_Fed is offline  
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 402
                     
Wow...very well-balanced, well-written article.

Good Luck in 2005 to:

Martina Hingis-Welcome Back!

Venus Williams-Queen of Tennis

Ana Ivanovic-Future Champion

Kim Clijsters-Darling of Tennis

Honorable Mentions: Dinara Safina, Justine Henin-Hardenne, Lindsay Davenport, Svetlana Kuznetsova. Good Luck Girls!
La Reine is offline  
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2005, 07:49 PM
Senior Member
 
DA FOREHAND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 8,945
                     
"I wrote in this column during the first week of the Championships that it was unwise to write off the Williams sisters. I didn't think Serena had a chance to win but after seeing how Venus handled Jill Craybas, who had knocked Serena out, I think she was a different person. It was as if the moment Venus knew she wasn't going to have to face Serena, a big weight was lifted off her.

There are always opponents that you have a hang-up about and when they lose it gives you a big lift. As soon as Venus didn't have to worry about her sister any more, she could just play ball.
"


Hmmmm I wonder who that player was for Martina?......

quick question....When are you gonna ride off into the sunset?

"Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated" - George Bernard Shaw




"And for the best of the teen-agers who followed her, and who occasionally referred to her as over the hill, Graf had a ready answer: against top-ranked Martina Hingis, Graf wound up 7-2. Graf's stirring 4-6, 7-5, 6-2 throttling of Hingis at the French Open final this June was perhaps the most emphatic parting shot the game has ever seen. "


DA FOREHAND is offline  
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Planet Venus
Posts: 2,182
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T
From her column in "the Guardian" Monday July 4, 2005

I never lost a final being up a match-point so I can only imagine how devastating this loss is. You just want that moment back so you can do things differently.

.......
What are we supposed to do with this piece of information? To make Lindsay feel better?
servenrichie is offline  
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2005, 09:42 PM
Senior Member
 
faboozadoo15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: united states
Posts: 21,865
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA FOREHAND
Hmmmm I wonder who that player was for Martina?......

quick question....When are you gonna ride off into the sunset?
A) who knows? it was certainly never one person for too long. she trailed

goolagong-cawley head to head in slams after the first 2 times they played, and eventually martina paid her back twice in three set battles before their head to head came to an end. it's reasonable to say she would feel better after that lady was gone.

seles is navratilova's only real rival she trails in head to head in slams, 2-0. but the fact that monica beat her both at wimbledon and the us open stood to reason that IF monica ever lost early in a major (she didn't), martina would feel A LOT better about her chances.

she led graf narrowly 5-4 in majors and even scored wins over steffi in the twillight of her playing career.

in the beef of martina's career, it would obviously be chris evert whose losses in majors would make martina feel better about her game, but even there martina led 14-8 in majors. austin was dangerous too (2-2).

and B) whenever she feels like it.
faboozadoo15 is offline  
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2005, 11:34 PM
country flag RVD
Senior Member
 
RVD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 31,470
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T
From her column in "the Guardian" Monday July 4, 2005

.......The only consolation for Roddick and the rest is that the pecking order can change very suddenly in tennis. Venus Williams proved that with Saturday's stunning victory. What makes Venus's achievement all the more impressive is that it's so hard to get out of the kind of slump she was in. It's much easier to doubt yourself than it is to believe that you can do it and it only takes one person to ask you about the fact that you are not playing well and to put the negative thoughts in your head. Venus faced up to that and found a way to overcome the negativity.
Excuse me but wasn't Martina the very one feeding Venus negativity?!?!? If she knew this, why did she herself do it?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T
Before this Wimbledon it was obvious that Venus didn't have much confidence and she also wasn't hitting the ball as hard or moving as well. Then, suddenly, in the second week, she turned into the player she was four years ago, and if she can back this performance, she is a contender for the No1 ranking.
Strongly disagree! If she actually followed the sisters' game, then she'd know that Venus gained a ton of confidence around the time of this year's NASDAQ100, and that she just grew from that meeting with Serena. So I guess you have to actually win a slam to demonstate confidence?
And what of Vee's title prior to the French? Wasn't that a demonstration of confidence? If I recall, she never dropped a single set throughout that entire tourney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T
That said I don't think that Venus is going to go from here and dominate the women's game because I don't see anybody doing that this year as it's such a wide open race for year-end No1. It's a truly fascinating time for women's tennis with players of different styles, different ages, and different personalities all competing. It could be Maria Sharapova, Lindsay Davenport, Justine Henin-Hardenne, Kim Clijsters, Venus Williams or, if she can get herself fit again, Serena Williams.
Fair enough, but neither did she peg Venus to WIN any slams this year, let alone the prestigious Wimbledon title. She can find solice in the fact that she didn't completely eliminate the possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T
I wrote in this column during the first week of the Championships that it was unwise to write off the Williams sisters. I didn't think Serena had a chance to win but after seeing how Venus handled Jill Craybas, who had knocked Serena out, I think she was a different person. It was as if the moment Venus knew she wasn't going to have to face Serena, a big weight was lifted off her.
Martina should have honestly stopped after the first sentence here, because I could accept that as her opinion, not fact. But to go on to suggest that Serena was what prevented Venus from being confident, is to again suggest that Venus wasn't confidant when she defeated Serena at NASDAQ this year. Damn! What's up with this woman? Alzheimer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T
There are always opponents that you have a hang-up about and when they lose it gives you a big lift. As soon as Venus didn't have to worry about her sister any more, she could just play ball.
See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T
As much as Venus winning is great for the game, I do feel a great deal of empathy for Lindsay Davenport. I never lost a final being up a match-point so I can only imagine how devastating this loss is. You just want that moment back so you can do things differently.
I agree. i feel for Lindsay too. She was on a great roll at Wimbledon. And in fact, for most of the early part of the season. And to lose like that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T
The fairytale for Davenport now is to put it behind her and try to win the US Open. If she does that I would make a bet she will retire, just as I'm sure she'd have called it a day if she had won Wimbledon, because everybody wants to ride off into the sunset as a champion. I'm sure she regrets ever saying that she was going to retire because after a while it becomes a distraction to keep being asked about it. I'm certainly sorry that I ever said, in both 1994 and last year, that I was playing my last season because it means that, like Davenport, I get asked about it after every match I play........................
Agreed. Her, I can see where Martina can speak from her own experience. Still, I noticed that she COMPLETELY avoided mentioning Vee's and Rena's outside interests.

Oh well, at least she's not tearing the sisters down like she normally does. It's a step in the right direction.

Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery. - Malcolm X
A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything. - Malcolm X
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline  
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2005, 11:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,634
                     
[QUOTE=ReeVeeDynasty]Excuse me but wasn't Martina the very one feeding Venus negativity?!?!? If she knew this, why did she herself do it?!

Strongly disagree! If she actually followed the sisters' game, then she'd know that Venus gained a ton of confidence around the time of this year's NASDAQ100, and that she just grew from that meeting with Serena. So I guess you have to actually win a slam to demonstate confidence?
And what of Vee's title prior to the French? Wasn't that a demonstration of confidence? If I recall, she never dropped a single set throughout that entire tourney.

Fair enough, but neither did she peg Venus to WIN any slams this year, let alone the prestigious Wimbledon title. She can find solice in the fact that she didn't completely eliminate the possibility.

Martina should have honestly stopped after the first sentence here, because I could accept that as her opinion, not fact. But to go on to suggest that Serena was what prevented Venus from being confident, is to again suggest that Venus wasn't confidant when she defeated Serena at NASDAQ this year. Damn! What's up with this woman? Alzheimer?

See above.

I agree. i feel for Lindsay too. She was on a great roll at Wimbledon. And in fact, for most of the early part of the season. And to lose like that...

Agreed. Her, I can see where Martina can speak from her own experience. Still, I noticed that she COMPLETELY avoided mentioning Vee's and Rena's outside interests.

Oh well, at least she's not tearing the sisters down like she normally does. It's a step in the right direction.[/QUOTE]

A step in the right direction which will not last for long.
icequeen is offline  
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2005, 12:11 AM
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!
 
Rocketta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 35,911
                     
decent article...

only two gripes....

1. That's about Serena being in the way of Venus' confidence and that once Serena lost Vee was free to play well now. Um, was Serena at the French? If all it took was Serena not being in the way what happened there?

2. She didn't need to mention that she never lost a championship match after having a championship point. I mean what was she trying to convey?
Rocketta is offline  
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2005, 12:37 AM
Senior Member
 
spokenword73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,762
 
Her usual digs at the Williams sisters. Compliment them, then throw them under the bus. What a hater.

I still remember how she said "Richard Williams would have never danced at my loss" the way he did when Vee beat Lindsay at the USO. Like, what was she going to do if he did?
spokenword73 is offline  
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2005, 01:16 AM
Her Grace, The Duchess of Williamsburg
 
Denise4925's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Basking in Serena's Glory
Posts: 30,854
                     
The article was somewhat positive in my opinion. But, as Ree pointed out, if she felt Vee could lose confidence without all the negativity, why did she contribute? I also think it's that if Serena had not been knocked out she would have been a distraction to Vee's eventual win. She would have just beat Rena, as she did at the Nasdaq. Lastly and most importantly, why wouldn't Rena be able to get herself fit? :retard:
Denise4925 is offline  
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Senior Member
 
DA FOREHAND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 8,945
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by servenrichie
What are we supposed to do with this piece of information? To make Lindsay feel better?
It's not about Lindsay....don't you get it...it's always about Martina, perhaps if she'd gotten the endorsements she felt entitled to during her career she wouldn't be interjecting herself into everything.

"Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated" - George Bernard Shaw




"And for the best of the teen-agers who followed her, and who occasionally referred to her as over the hill, Graf had a ready answer: against top-ranked Martina Hingis, Graf wound up 7-2. Graf's stirring 4-6, 7-5, 6-2 throttling of Hingis at the French Open final this June was perhaps the most emphatic parting shot the game has ever seen. "


DA FOREHAND is offline  
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Senior Member
 
DA FOREHAND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 8,945
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphsgal
Her usual digs at the Williams sisters. Compliment them, then throw them under the bus. What a hater.

I still remember how she said "Richard Williams would have never danced at my loss" the way he did when Vee beat Lindsay at the USO. Like, what was she going to do if he did?
She said on the air that she'd smack him....And he wasn't dancing to anyone's loss he was dancing to Venus' win...Haters always wanna make it about them.

"Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated" - George Bernard Shaw




"And for the best of the teen-agers who followed her, and who occasionally referred to her as over the hill, Graf had a ready answer: against top-ranked Martina Hingis, Graf wound up 7-2. Graf's stirring 4-6, 7-5, 6-2 throttling of Hingis at the French Open final this June was perhaps the most emphatic parting shot the game has ever seen. "


DA FOREHAND is offline  
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Senior Member
 
DA FOREHAND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 8,945
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by faboozadoo15
A) who knows? it was certainly never one person for too long. she trailed

goolagong-cawley head to head in slams after the first 2 times they played, and eventually martina paid her back twice in three set battles before their head to head came to an end. it's reasonable to say she would feel better after that lady was gone.

seles is navratilova's only real rival she trails in head to head in slams, 2-0. but the fact that monica beat her both at wimbledon and the us open stood to reason that IF monica ever lost early in a major (she didn't), martina would feel A LOT better about her chances.

she led graf narrowly 5-4 in majors and even scored wins over steffi in the twillight of her playing career.

in the beef of martina's career, it would obviously be chris evert whose losses in majors would make martina feel better about her game, but even there martina led 14-8 in majors. austin was dangerous too (2-2).

and B) whenever she feels like it.

All of what you say may or may not be true, but BJK, and Mary Carillo, have stated that Martina def. tailored her schedule to avoid Steffi Graf.

"Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated" - George Bernard Shaw




"And for the best of the teen-agers who followed her, and who occasionally referred to her as over the hill, Graf had a ready answer: against top-ranked Martina Hingis, Graf wound up 7-2. Graf's stirring 4-6, 7-5, 6-2 throttling of Hingis at the French Open final this June was perhaps the most emphatic parting shot the game has ever seen. "


DA FOREHAND is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome