Venus Williams vrs Martina Hingis - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2005, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
blurring the lines between the real and the fake
 
V-MAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 25,109
                     
Venus Williams vrs Martina Hingis

sigh, I miss the rivalry so much between these two on court Nothing used to give me greater satisfaction than when Vee used to win a thrilling three-set match over Marti, like at the US Open 2000 I never liked Martina but I used to love the fact that she always played her best tennis against Vee, which made the victory for Vee all the sweeter. I think Venus also possibly loved playing against Martina more so than any other player as she had a differant , more intense kind of hunger and passion about her when she used to play against Martina. I'm feeling nostalgic for the great tennis rivalries of the past at the moment so I thought I'd just mention the best one Other ones I used to relish were Serena against again, Martina Hingis - always classic encounters full of drama and high quality tennis. hmm, please consider a proper comeback to the wta tour Martina!!

V-MAC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Famu_lady's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 180
                     
I hear you!!!!

My Reason For Living Is Too See Venus Dominate In 2007!!!!
Famu_lady is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2005, 08:11 PM
Senior Member
 
volta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Porto
Posts: 12,986
                     
yeah USOPEN 2k is one of my fav match

Dominika Cibulkova
volta is offline  
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Marie Waggedorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 137
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-MAC
sigh, I miss the rivalry so much between these two on court Nothing used to give me greater satisfaction than when Vee used to win a thrilling three-set match over Marti, like at the US Open 2000 I never liked Martina but I used to love the fact that she always played her best tennis against Vee, which made the victory for Vee all the sweeter. I think Venus also possibly loved playing against Martina more so than any other player as she had a differant , more intense kind of hunger and passion about her when she used to play against Martina. I'm feeling nostalgic for the great tennis rivalries of the past at the moment so I thought I'd just mention the best one Other ones I used to relish were Serena against again, Martina Hingis - always classic encounters full of drama and high quality tennis. hmm, please consider a proper comeback to the wta tour Martina!!
People always feel nostalgic when things arenít going well in the present day.
Marie Waggedorn is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Senior Member
 
VRee_Willario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: namimaa
Posts: 2,632
                     
Venus liked to play Lindsay more, her power game suited Venus' game more and Venus didn't get all those slow balls back until she would miss. But I do like her matches against Martina a lot, but I prefer Wimbledon 2000 match 'cause I like grass court game and Wimbledon's atmosphere more.

Ser ena the best and coolest in the world along with this person: Venus Williams

ArantxaSanchez-Vicario


Vee and Ree A fan since I was eight years old, and always supporting you
VRee_Willario is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Senior Member
 
VRee_Willario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: namimaa
Posts: 2,632
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Waggedorn
People always feel nostalgic when things arenít going well in the present day.
Not always, I felt nostalgic in 2002 of her 1998 matches against Martina

Ser ena the best and coolest in the world along with this person: Venus Williams

ArantxaSanchez-Vicario


Vee and Ree A fan since I was eight years old, and always supporting you
VRee_Willario is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2005, 08:51 PM
Senior Member
 
franny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,207
                     
Martina and the Williams had a great rivalry. Her rivalry with Serena was amazing, but it was her rivalry with Venus that really was what made tennis so interesting in the 1998-2002 years. I really think that they drove each and made each other play their best tennis. I really don't see anyone that we can say Venus has a rivalry with right now, unless you consider her and her sister's match-up as a rivalry. Venus lacks the passion and hunger that she once possessed, especially in those matches with Hingis.

hunger, desire, fire..........
stength, power, precision.........
talent, court sense, smartness........
no i am not talking about a racket or a squirrel, i am talking about the former and future number 1..............
martina hingis!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck Justine Henin Hardenne, Venus Williams, Maria Sharapova, Mary Pierce, and any of my other favorites that I might have forgotten about at this moment.
franny is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Senior Member
 
thelittlestelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,381
                     
Come back Martina!

VENUSWILLIAMS

LINDSAYDAVENPORT MARTINAHINGIS SERENAWILLIAMS MONICASELES CHANDARUBIN DANIELAHANTUCHOVA JENNIFERCAPRIATI MARYPIERCE JELENADOKIC KIMCLIJSTERS ANNAKOURNIKOVA JILLCRAYBAS
thelittlestelf is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2005, 10:31 PM
Senior Member
 
hingis-seles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 19,163
                     
Oh to relive those days. The US Open semifinals of 1999 and 2000. Two nail-biters. One win for Hingis. One win for Williams. Great tennis all around. Everyone's happy.

FUCK YOU, SEWTA.
[/SIZE]
hingis-seles is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2005, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
blurring the lines between the real and the fake
 
V-MAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 25,109
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by franny
Martina and the Williams had a great rivalry. Her rivalry with Serena was amazing, but it was her rivalry with Venus that really was what made tennis so interesting in the 1998-2002 years. I really think that they drove each and made each other play their best tennis. I really don't see anyone that we can say Venus has a rivalry with right now, unless you consider her and her sister's match-up as a rivalry. Venus lacks the passion and hunger that she once possessed, especially in those matches with Hingis.
Yep they both certainly brought out the best tennis in each other. was the Aus Open semi-final 2001 their last ever match?? ( I don't like refering to that match too often )

V-MAC is offline  
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2005, 12:16 AM
Senior Member
 
VeeReeDavJCap81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 9,542
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by franny
Martina and the Williams had a great rivalry. Her rivalry with Serena was amazing, but it was her rivalry with Venus that really was what made tennis so interesting in the 1998-2002 years. I really think that they drove each and made each other play their best tennis. I really don't see anyone that we can say Venus has a rivalry with right now, unless you consider her and her sister's match-up as a rivalry. Venus lacks the passion and hunger that she once possessed, especially in those matches with Hingis.
I loved watching Martina and Venus play. Serena and Martina wasn't as fun, because Martina had more trouble with Serena, and only would beat her if she was spraying errors. However, the 2001 Aussie Open QF was a pretty good one.

Really, don't even look at me...
VeeReeDavJCap81 is offline  
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2005, 12:24 AM
Senior Member
 
lukehingis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 7,465
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-MAC
Yep they both certainly brought out the best tennis in each other. was the Aus Open semi-final 2001 their last ever match?? ( I don't like refering to that match too often )
they played twice more after that. Close but not classics

Miami 01 venus won 6-3 7-6 (6)
Hamburgh 02 venus won 7-5 6-3

The Hamburgh match was the last time the martina of old was playing... after that she wasn't the same player.

I just love their matches. In the end, the best player always won. Both always produced the most spectacular shots! (Single handed backhand winner from Hingis anyone?)

-MARTINA HINGIS-
Unconditional Love & Support, Always and Forever, Genius, Legend, Star
All the Best, Elena Dementieva, Anna Chakvetadze, Ana Ivanovic, Jelena Jankovic, Zheng Jie, Vera Zvonareva
Keep Fighting, Keep Believing

Novak "Nole" Djokovic
lukehingis is offline  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2005, 12:40 AM
Senior Member
 
kiwifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 9,740
                     
Yep, coulda been the next truly great rivalry for the ages...

I blame Serena, she beat Hingis out of the game and beat Venus into not caring about her results anymore
kiwifan is offline  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2005, 12:51 AM
Senior Member
 
lukehingis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 7,465
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwifan
Yep, coulda been the next truly great rivalry for the ages...

I blame Serena, she beat Hingis out of the game and beat Venus into not caring about her results anymore
at blaming Serena, but you do have a point!

Martina vs Venus could've been the biggest rivalry since Navratilova and Evert! There are some similarities.

The aggressor against the counterpuncher. Also like Evert, Hingis won most of their earlier meetings but venus was catching up only for Hingis to retire. (Hingis leads 10:9) Would be great if they'd met in some slam finals. Hingis was always seeded 1 and venus 3..

-MARTINA HINGIS-
Unconditional Love & Support, Always and Forever, Genius, Legend, Star
All the Best, Elena Dementieva, Anna Chakvetadze, Ana Ivanovic, Jelena Jankovic, Zheng Jie, Vera Zvonareva
Keep Fighting, Keep Believing

Novak "Nole" Djokovic
lukehingis is offline  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2005, 12:55 AM
Senior Member
 
hingis-seles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 19,163
                     
lukehingis, Martina was not the same player at Hamburg 2002. She was playing on painkillers and one leg.

FUCK YOU, SEWTA.
[/SIZE]
hingis-seles is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome