Bud Collins: Monica's 1990 Title his 3rd Best Memory EVER At The French - TennisForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
SelesFan70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 11,027
                     
Thumbs up Bud Collins: Monica's 1990 Title his 3rd Best Memory EVER At The French

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8074291/

3. Monica Seles knocking off Steffi Graf in the 1990 women's singles final.

Graf had dominated the game for three years running and the German was so lethal that it was hard to imagine anyone pushing her off the court. But the fearless Seles swung from her hips and punched right through Graf, 7-6 (6), 6-4.

I was as wide-eyed as Steffi was at Monica's power and precision.

While their 1992 French Open women's singles final, which ended with a 10-8 third-set win for Seles, may have been more dramatic, it didnít knock my socks off like Monicaís first run to the title.

I still believe that if a madman had not stabbed Seles on court in early 1994 she would have ended up being the best player ever. (Wrong date, Bud but we get the point!)


Tammy Bruce RightSideOfTheRainbow

Liberals: Hard on the unborn, soft on terrorists

Man-made climate change is a LIE

COUNTDOWN!
SelesFan70 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 05:06 PM
Senior Member
 
selestribe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Paris
Posts: 405
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelesFan70
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8074291/

3. Monica Seles knocking off Steffi Graf in the 1990 women's singles final.

Graf had dominated the game for three years running and the German was so lethal that it was hard to imagine anyone pushing her off the court. But the fearless Seles swung from her hips and punched right through Graf, 7-6 (6), 6-4.

I was as wide-eyed as Steffi was at Monica's power and precision.

While their 1992 French Open women's singles final, which ended with a 10-8 third-set win for Seles, may have been more dramatic, it didnít knock my socks off like Monicaís first run to the title.

I still believe that if a madman had not stabbed Seles on court in early 1994 she would have ended up being the best player ever. (Wrong date, Bud but we get the point!)

This final is also one of my best memory
She was so awesome with her funny ponytail hitting every corners furiously !!!

MONICA

Women's tennis matches on DVD: http://tennisfighters.host22.com/

MONICA SELES ELENA DEMENTIEVA
selestribe is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 08:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,293
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelesFan70
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8074291/

3. Monica Seles knocking off Steffi Graf in the 1990 women's singles final.

Graf had dominated the game for three years running and the German was so lethal that it was hard to imagine anyone pushing her off the court. But the fearless Seles swung from her hips and punched right through Graf, 7-6 (6), 6-4.

I was as wide-eyed as Steffi was at Monica's power and precision.

While their 1992 French Open women's singles final, which ended with a 10-8 third-set win for Seles, may have been more dramatic, it didnít knock my socks off like Monicaís first run to the title.

I still believe that if a madman had not stabbed Seles on court in early 1994 she would have ended up being the best player ever. (Wrong date, Bud but we get the point!)


Bud has Alzheimer's as we all know ....

He chose Graf-Hingis as his 2nd best memory ever.
But his memory leaves him again when he says that Hingis melted after a controversial line call. This line call he was referring to happened at 6-4, 2-0, 00-00. Half an hour later Hingis still was one break up and served for the match at 6-4, 5-4. THEN she melted because she couldn't stand the heat of serving for a match in a slam against - Ms. Stefanie Graf. Graf turned back the clock and played in her 1988/89/95/96 peak form. Hingis was toast of course.

Seles-Graf, FO 90?
Graf made far more UEs than Seles who played very solid and made the important points. However she made only ONE point more than Graf (74-73).
In my book that is not "punching right through Graf". Well, Collins is from the U.S.A. and Seles is a U.S. citizen now. Coincidence ... ?

BTW,I don't think Seles would have been the greatest-ever without The Stabbing. We must not forget that she lost 5 of 7 matches against Graf when she was #1 in the WTA rankings. That she never played a year with less than 5 losses. And that she visibly was gaining weight already in 92/93 before The Stabbing.
Her very moderate success post-return shows that Seles was not extremely talented. An all-time great would have won several slams after her 22nd birthday. Seles only won AO 96 (Graf was out due to injury). Monica is a nice girl. But probably the most overrated player ever in tennis history.
Calimero377 is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 08:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: london
Posts: 730
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calimero377
Bud has Alzheimer's as we all know ....

He chose Graf-Hingis as his 2nd best memory ever.
But his memory leaves him again when he says that Hingis melted after a controversial line call. This line call he was referring to happened at 6-4, 2-0, 00-00. Half an hour later Hingis still was one break up and served for the match at 6-4, 5-4. THEN she melted because she couldn't stand the heat of serving for a match in a slam against - Ms. Stefanie Graf. Graf turned back the clock and played in her 1988/89/95/96 peak form. Hingis was toast of course.

Seles-Graf, FO 90?
Graf made far more UEs than Seles who played very solid and made the important points. However she made only ONE point more than Graf (74-73).
In my book that is not "punching right through Graf". Well, Collins is from the U.S.A. and Seles is a U.S. citizen now. Coincidence ... ?

BTW,I don't think Seles would have been the greatest-ever without The Stabbing. We must not forget that she lost 5 of 7 matches against Graf when she was #1 in the WTA rankings. That she never played a year with less than 5 losses. And that she visibly was gaining weight already in 92/93 before The Stabbing.
Her very moderate success post-return shows that Seles was not extremely talented. An all-time great would have won several slams after her 22nd birthday. Seles only won AO 96 (Graf was out due to injury). Monica is a nice girl. But probably the most overrated player ever in tennis history.
I'm sorry but you are really ignorant. How can someone who won 8 slams in a period less than 3 years be over-rated?

Long Live Queen Vee
villa is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
SelesFan70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 11,027
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calimero377
Bud has Alzheimer's as we all know ....

He chose Graf-Hingis as his 2nd best memory ever.
But his memory leaves him again when he says that Hingis melted after a controversial line call. This line call he was referring to happened at 6-4, 2-0, 00-00. Half an hour later Hingis still was one break up and served for the match at 6-4, 5-4. THEN she melted because she couldn't stand the heat of serving for a match in a slam against - Ms. Stefanie Graf. Graf turned back the clock and played in her 1988/89/95/96 peak form. Hingis was toast of course.

Seles-Graf, FO 90?
Graf made far more UEs than Seles who played very solid and made the important points. However she made only ONE point more than Graf (74-73).
In my book that is not "punching right through Graf". Well, Collins is from the U.S.A. and Seles is a U.S. citizen now. Coincidence ... ?

BTW,I don't think Seles would have been the greatest-ever without The Stabbing. We must not forget that she lost 5 of 7 matches against Graf when she was #1 in the WTA rankings. That she never played a year with less than 5 losses. And that she visibly was gaining weight already in 92/93 before The Stabbing.
Her very moderate success post-return shows that Seles was not extremely talented. An all-time great would have won several slams after her 22nd birthday. Seles only won AO 96 (Graf was out due to injury). Monica is a nice girl. But probably the most overrated player ever in tennis history.
Calimero...c'mon! Lighten up.

Tammy Bruce RightSideOfTheRainbow

Liberals: Hard on the unborn, soft on terrorists

Man-made climate change is a LIE

COUNTDOWN!
SelesFan70 is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 08:52 PM
Senior Member
 
jimbo mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: London
Posts: 8,787
                     
Monica is a great player but she is still overated

she would never have been able to match the achievements of graf, navratilova and evert stabbing or no stabbing
jimbo mack is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 08:57 PM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
PointBlank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Nine-Oh-One.
Posts: 16,154
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-mac
Monica is a great player but she is still overated

she would never have been able to match the achievements of graf, navratilova and evert stabbing or no stabbing
She had already topped Graf before the stabbing but after thats when Steffi took over because she had no one really to challenge her.

fuck.
PointBlank is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 09:03 PM
Senior Member
 
jimbo mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: London
Posts: 8,787
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma
She had already topped Graf before the stabbing but after thats when Steffi took over because she had no one really to challenge her.
yes, thats what all seles fans like to believe. the truth is in 1994 sanchez actually had a better year than graf and was her main challenger but in 1995-1999 graf only lost to seles once. graf won all their other meetings including their last meeting
jimbo mack is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 09:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,554
                     
you are right

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-mac
Monica is a great player but she is still overated

she would never have been able to match the achievements of graf, navratilova and evert stabbing or no stabbing

graf is the best memory at fo against asv or hingins and we are tired of old collins .....it's time to retire for him......but i respect him because he is an old man but is it useful to discuss in this forum about his divagations????.
manu32 is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
SelesFan70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 11,027
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by manu32
graf is the best memory at fo against asv or hingins and we are tired of old collins .....it's time to retire for him......but i respect him because he is an old man but is it useful to discuss in this forum about his divagations????.
This thread is about Bud Collins' memories, not what might have been or what didn't happen. The fact is Monica won in 1990 by out playing Graf and it was a good memory for Bud and lots of other people.

Tammy Bruce RightSideOfTheRainbow

Liberals: Hard on the unborn, soft on terrorists

Man-made climate change is a LIE

COUNTDOWN!
SelesFan70 is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 09:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,293
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelesFan70
This thread is about Bud Collins' memories, not what might have been or what didn't happen. The fact is Monica won in 1990 by out playing Graf and it was a good memory for Bud and lots of other people.


Winning with 74-73 on points-played with your opponent making far more UEs is "outplaying" in Selesian terminology?

Well, Graf fans have higher standards ...
Calimero377 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome