Best highlight reel player? - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2005, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
deja_entendu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: taradise.
Posts: 1,599
                     
Smile Best highlight reel player?

There are certain players who win points through hard work, consistence, and great depth of shot... while there are others who win points with pure flair. For example, although Lindsay Davenport and Maria Sharapova are great, dominating players, neither tends to have those one or two points in a match that are just unbelievable.

I think some players who play points that look good on the highlight reels are Kim Clijsters and Martina Hingis. Hingis often tripped up her opponent in games of cat and mouse which makes for wildly entertaining scrambling, while Clijsters' splits usually ensure that there are at least one or two points in her matches that are
deja_entendu is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2005, 10:21 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Among The Greats
Posts: 39,689
                     
Serena is definately a highlight reel player. Her forehands, when she's on, the angles are wicked! And Venus' backhand....AMAZING! They can go on streaks of 10 or so winners and their opponents are powerless!

Career Grand Slam in your 20s? Been there done that. Career golden slam your 30s?
There's only 1.
Been around the world, copped all 4 thrice.

Serena.[21]
MrSerenaWilliams is offline  
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Senior Member
 
faboozadoo15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: united states
Posts: 21,865
                     
monica seles and martina hingis
faboozadoo15 is offline  
post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2005, 11:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,293
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by deja_entendu
There are certain players who win points through hard work, consistence, and great depth of shot... while there are others who win points with pure flair. For example, although Lindsay Davenport and Maria Sharapova are great, dominating players, neither tends to have those one or two points in a match that are just unbelievable.

I think some players who play points that look good on the highlight reels are Kim Clijsters and Martina Hingis. Hingis often tripped up her opponent in games of cat and mouse which makes for wildly entertaining scrambling, while Clijsters' splits usually ensure that there are at least one or two points in her matches that are

Clijsters, is she the Belgian chick that is famous for losing tons of slam finals?
And Hingis, is she the Swiss brat who cried on her mum's shoulder when she had to play a great player for the first time in a slam final?

Erm, what did you want to tell us about those girls .... ?
Calimero377 is offline  
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Senior Member
 
WhatTheDeuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 34,208
                     
Kournikova always had a few GORGEOUS displays of shot-making, even when she lost.

Seles, Hingis, Serena, Conchita to name some others.
WhatTheDeuce is offline  
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,293
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrserenawilliams
Serena is definately a highlight reel player. Her forehands, when she's on, the angles are wicked! And Venus' backhand....AMAZING! They can go on streaks of 10 or so winners and their opponents are powerless!

Opponents?
You are not talking of good old (very old) Farina Elia, are you?
Calimero377 is offline  
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2005, 11:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,293
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by monicAnna
Kournikova always had a few GORGEOUS displays of shot-making, even when she lost. ....

First 5 rounds in slams don't count ....
Calimero377 is offline  
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2005, 11:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Pengwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,876
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calimero377
Clijsters, is she the Belgian chick that is famous for losing tons of slam finals?
And Hingis, is she the Swiss brat who cried on her mum's shoulder when she had to play a great player for the first time in a slam final?

Erm, what did you want to tell us about those girls .... ?

Neither of those is 'famous' for those things. They are greats on their own merits and natural talant and ability, and most would call Hingis the greatest 'analyst' of the tennis court.
Pengwin is offline  
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2005, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
deja_entendu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: taradise.
Posts: 1,599
                     
Who invited cali?

Anyway I totally agree about Anna, she would produce some of the most amazing shots I've ever seen (followed by some of the most shots I've ever seen)
deja_entendu is offline  
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2005, 11:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,293
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hautbois
Neither of those is 'famous' for those things. They are greats on their own merits and natural talant and ability, and most would call Hingis the greatest 'analyst' of the tennis court.

In her most important match ever she over-analysed obviously ....

Sonny, it's one thing to analyse Mauresmo types. But it is a totally different one to out-fox the greatest-ever. Hingis wasn't up to the task. Graf took her apart. Piece by piece by piece. With no mercy.
Calimero377 is offline  
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2005, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
deja_entendu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: taradise.
Posts: 1,599
                     


Why have not ONE of your posts in this thread pertained to the original topic?? And why is Graf even being mentioned in here? She has NOTHING to do with this discussion... take your fanaticism elsewhere.
deja_entendu is offline  
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2005, 11:26 PM
Senior Member
 
franny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,207
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calimero377
In her most important match ever she over-analysed obviously ....

Sonny, it's one thing to analyse Mauresmo types. But it is a totally different one to out-fox the greatest-ever. Hingis wasn't up to the task. Graf took her apart. Piece by piece by piece. With no mercy.
Was that what this thread was about? I thought it was about highlight reel players. Can you not change the subjects of threads, and even if you are going to change the subjects of threads, at least be less obnoxious in doing so. Either stay on topic or don't post at all. If you feel like you must talk about Hingis and Graf's 99 FO match, then start a new thread. I'm sure that you'll get your fair share of replies there. Until then, don't hijax another thread and make it a Worshipping Graf spectacle, it's quite rude.

hunger, desire, fire..........
stength, power, precision.........
talent, court sense, smartness........
no i am not talking about a racket or a squirrel, i am talking about the former and future number 1..............
martina hingis!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck Justine Henin Hardenne, Venus Williams, Maria Sharapova, Mary Pierce, and any of my other favorites that I might have forgotten about at this moment.
franny is offline  
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,293
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by deja_entendu


Why have not ONE of your posts in this thread pertained to the original topic?? And why is Graf even being mentioned in here? She has NOTHING to do with this discussion... take your fanaticism elsewhere.

Rewatch Graf-Seles, Wimbledon 1992 final.
2nd set, graf leading 4-1, 30-30. Watch the following rally.

Then come back ....
Calimero377 is offline  
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2005, 12:02 AM
Registered 1
 
jes_022's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Insomniacs Dream Sequence
Posts: 16,708
                     
Hingis and Clijsters definitely !!!!!

|Dominika Cibulkova |Alicia Molik | Svetlana Kuznetsova |Tatiana Golovin |Marta Domachowska|
| Marat Safin | Lleyton Hewitt | Olivier Rochus |
| Murray | Tipsarevic | Mahut | Srichaphan || Gulbis|
| Rafter | Majoli | Kim Clijsters | Schalken | Enqvist |
jes_022 is offline  
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2005, 12:34 AM
Senior Member
 
XaDavK_Kapri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 5,163
                     
POor guy, he even knows her POINTS by heart

Anyways, I'd say Mary Pierce and Monica Seles for the power and accuracy. Probably Kim and Hingis for the long rallies
XaDavK_Kapri is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome