Russia / USA / France - Which Team will Score Most Convincing Fed Cup Win? - TennisForum.com
View Poll Results: Which team will lose fewest games?
Russia 4 9.52%
USA 27 64.29%
France 11 26.19%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2005, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
pierce0415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 9,812
                     
Russia / USA / France - Which Team will Score Most Convincing Fed Cup Win?

Going into this week's Fed Cup, IMO the only World Group I result that is in doubt is Argentina vs. Spain. The other matches should be one sided affairs, with the only doubt being if the reserves playing the "dead" rubbers (Corina vs. Els would be a possible 4th dead rubber match).

But assuming that the teams go w/ their original lineup in the case of a dead rubber, I think both France and USA will win 5-0 w/ France losing fewer games in the 5 matches. All four members of the French team are very solid. Venus may be rusty against an on Flipkins assuming that she has recovered from injury. Russia on the other hand may be upset unless Myskina can get her game together.

WORLD GROUP I FIRST ROUND

ITALY v RUSSIA
Venue: Brindisi, Italy (clay - outdoors)

Italy
#20 Francesca Schiavone
#31 Flavia Pennetta
#60 Maria-Elena Camerin
#66 Tathiana Garbin
Captain: Mr Corrado Barazzutti

Russia
#5 Elena Dementieva
#6 Anastasia Myskina
#14 Elena Bovina
#38 Dinara Safina
Captain: Mr Shamil Tarpischev

USA v BELGIUM
Venue: Delray Beach, FL, USA (hard - outdoors)

USA
#1 Lindsay Davenport
#4 Serena Williams
#9 Venus Williams
UNRANKED Corina Morariu
Captain: Ms Zina Garrison

Belgium
#174 Kirsten Flipkens
#175 Els Callens
#364 Leslie Butkiewicz
#392 Evelyne Van Hyfte
Captain: Mr Carl Maes

AUSTRIA v FRANCE
Venue: Portschach, Austria (clay - outdoors)

Austria
#131 Yvonne Meusberger
#154 Sybille Bammer
#473 Sandra Klemenschits
UNRANKED Tamira Paszek
Captain: Mr Alfred Tesar

France
#3 Amelie Mauresmo
#15 Nathalie Dechy
#18 Tatiana Golovin
#27 Mary Pierce
Captain: Mr Georges Goven
pierce0415 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2005, 02:33 AM
Team WTAworld
 
TF Chipmunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 15,959
                     
Maria's not on the Russian team???

Hmm, I would have to say USA loses the least games just because Belgium looks so pathetically weak with their team. Not to mention, USA is playing on hardcourts, while France is playing on Clay (big DUH), however you can lose more games on clay than on hardcourts, I would say.

JUSTINE HENIN
ALLEZ!!!

ANASTASIA MYSKINA
Riding the 3AM Rollercoaster


NADIA PETROVA
ANNA-LENA GROENEFELD
TF Chipmunk is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2005, 03:02 AM
Senior Member
 
RenaSlam.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 25,038
                     
I will shit myself if the USA loses one match.
RenaSlam. is offline  
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2005, 03:08 AM
Senior Member
 
slydevil6142's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Orlando, FL US
Posts: 1,016
                     
If the US loses any matches they should be ashamed of themselves... honestly no disrespect to the other team btu without Kim or Justine they dont have a prayer.

Team Williams
Princess of Power: Serena Williams
21 time grand slam champion, Tours best fighter, Olympic Champion
Queen of Grass: Venus Williams
7 time grand slam champion, Olympic Champion,
The Tour Standard! .... still haha!
slydevil6142 is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2005, 04:14 AM
Team WTAworld
 
TF Chipmunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 15,959
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaSlam588
I will shit myself if the USA loses one match.

JUSTINE HENIN
ALLEZ!!!

ANASTASIA MYSKINA
Riding the 3AM Rollercoaster


NADIA PETROVA
ANNA-LENA GROENEFELD
TF Chipmunk is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2005, 04:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 27,509
                     
USA

Dementia
Serena X Venus
Holy "TF FAVOURITES" Trio- Guestoria X Q.V. Aga X KAMAN Karolina
FormalEducation is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2005, 05:15 AM
Stimpacker
 
_LuCaS_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Eastern Sun
Posts: 6,551
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce0415
Going into this week's Fed Cup, IMO the only World Group I result that is in doubt is Argentina vs. Spain. The other matches should be one sided affairs, with the only doubt being if the reserves playing the "dead" rubbers (Corina vs. Els would be a possible 4th dead rubber match).

But assuming that the teams go w/ their original lineup in the case of a dead rubber, I think both France and USA will win 5-0 w/ France losing fewer games in the 5 matches. All four members of the French team are very solid. Venus may be rusty against an on Flipkins assuming that she has recovered from injury. Russia on the other hand may be upset unless Myskina can get her game together.

WORLD GROUP I FIRST ROUND

ITALY v RUSSIA
Venue: Brindisi, Italy (clay - outdoors)

Italy
#20 Francesca Schiavone
#31 Flavia Pennetta
#60 Maria-Elena Camerin
#66 Tathiana Garbin
Captain: Mr Corrado Barazzutti

Russia
#5 Elena Dementieva
#6 Anastasia Myskina
#14 Elena Bovina
#38 Dinara Safina
Captain: Mr Shamil Tarpischev

USA v BELGIUM
Venue: Delray Beach, FL, USA (hard - outdoors)

USA
#1 Lindsay Davenport
#4 Serena Williams
#9 Venus Williams
UNRANKED Corina Morariu
Captain: Ms Zina Garrison

Belgium
#174 Kirsten Flipkens
#175 Els Callens
#364 Leslie Butkiewicz
#392 Evelyne Van Hyfte
Captain: Mr Carl Maes

AUSTRIA v FRANCE
Venue: Portschach, Austria (clay - outdoors)

Austria
#131 Yvonne Meusberger
#154 Sybille Bammer
#473 Sandra Klemenschits
UNRANKED Tamira Paszek
Captain: Mr Alfred Tesar

France
#3 Amelie Mauresmo
#15 Nathalie Dechy
#18 Tatiana Golovin
#27 Mary Pierce
Captain: Mr Georges Goven
Myskina doesn't play, Vera D. was picked instead.
France could go flawless through this. SAme with US. Russia might struggle a little.

I can't think of a witty signature right now. I like turtles.
_LuCaS_ is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Prizeidiot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,378
                     
I'd say the U.S.A

Italy has a good chance to provide an upset. Schivone and Penetta on clay is a very tough combination.
Prizeidiot is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2005, 08:26 AM
country flag syd
Senior Member
 
syd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 191
                     
Me i d'say France or USA !
Russia might have some difficulties

Rafael Nadal - 2008 ROLAND GARROS & WIMBLEDON CHAMPION
syd is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Brαm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Belgium
Posts: 14,910
                     
USA of course

Even the Belgian fans don't believe Belgium has a chance

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=161876
Brαm is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Jeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: California
Posts: 6,883
                     
Belgium will be lucky to win more than ten games the whole weekend.







Jeff is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2005, 08:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,180
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuCaS@ro
Myskina doesn't play, Vera D. was picked instead.
France could go flawless through this. SAme with US. Russia might struggle a little.

they chose vera D over myskina????
@m@nd@ is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome