Whoa, Sugiyama's reign in Japan could be over next week. - TennisForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2005, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 10,798
                     
Whoa, Sugiyama's reign in Japan could be over next week.

Just saw the updated rankings and by Monday, Shinobu Asagoe could be Japan's new number one player, finally supplanting Ai Sugiyama as that Nation's top-ranked player.

I did not realize how close Asagoe had gotten to Ai, just a matter of a few points, but her results have I guess been much more consistent in the past 17 tournaments for her to climb so high.

Does anyone know how long Ai has been Japan's top player?
Jakeev is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Wannabeknowitall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 17,275
                     
I don't know but seriously who cares. They're both around the same age. They're both going to retire around the same time. If they don't retire within a year of each other then two years. Japan needs a younger new player to come up in the rankings.
Wannabeknowitall is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2005, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 10,798
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeknowitall
I don't know but seriously who cares. They're both around the same age. They're both going to retire around the same time. If they don't retire within a year of each other then two years. Japan needs a younger new player to come up in the rankings.
Is it me or you always such a cranky Bitch? People do care about this stuff around here and if you have a problem with it than don't friggen post in these threads.
Jakeev is offline  
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2005, 09:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Veritas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,895
                     
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeknowitall
I don't know but seriously who cares.
I do, for one. And I'm sure there are a number of other fans who do as well.
Veritas is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
Farina Elia Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: wales
Posts: 24,128
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeev
Is it me or you always such a cranky Bitch? People do care about this stuff around here and if you have a problem with it than don't friggen post in these threads.

I agree
Farina Elia Fan is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Wannabeknowitall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 17,275
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeev
Just saw the updated rankings and by Monday, Shinobu Asagoe could be Japan's new number one player, finally supplanting Ai Sugiyama as that Nation's top-ranked player.

I did not realize how close Asagoe had gotten to Ai, just a matter of a few points, but her results have I guess been much more consistent in the past 17 tournaments for her to climb so high.

Does anyone know how long Ai has been Japan's top player?
Sighs. Sugiyama is in a funk and I'm sure she doesn't care about not being the number one Japanese player anymore. She'd rather just get out of this slump she's having. It is interesting how long she's been the Japanese top ranked player. All I'm saying is that Asagoe is around the same age so her reign at Japanese number one will be small.
Wannabeknowitall is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2005, 10:13 PM
.
 
Libertango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 13,831
                     
I care!!

Yea, we all know Ai hasn't been very good this year, and I think its only a matter of time for Shinobu to get top spot in Japan, she really deserves it. I'd love for her to get her first title this year!!

Halep Kvitova Venus
Shvedova Babos
Lucic Konjuh

Libertango is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2005, 10:14 PM
.
 
Libertango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 13,831
                     
Oh, and Ai has been Japanese no.1 since Kimiko's retirement in 1996. So, 9 years!!

Halep Kvitova Venus
Shvedova Babos
Lucic Konjuh

Libertango is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2005, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 10,798
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by emo_chico
Oh, and Ai has been Japanese no.1 since Kimiko's retirement in 1996. So, 9 years!!
Wow! that is definitely a long reign for Sugiyama. Probably one of the longest for Japanese women.
Jakeev is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Senior Member
 
JenFan75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Officially Dead
Posts: 2,493
                     
no offence to Ai but it's about time for Shinobu...
JenFan75 is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2005, 10:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Wannabeknowitall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA USA
Posts: 17,275
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenFan75
no offence to Ai but it's about time for Shinobu...
Wow is your avatar Liz Phair. She looks hot. What a change around for a women who's first song on her second album had the lyrics...
I met him at a party and he told me how to drive him home
He said he liked to do it backwards
I said, "That's just fine with me,
That way we can fuck and watch TV."
Wannabeknowitall is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2005, 10:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,003
                     
Shinobu deserves it she has been on top form this year while Ai has been in a big slump.

I also hope that Shinobu wins a singles title this year.
jonny84 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome