Q & A with John Wertheim - TennisForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2005, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
SelesFan70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 11,028
                     
Q & A with John Wertheim

I know it's been written about a lot already, mainly with reference to Serena, but after Venus' comments after her loss to Sharapova, I just despair -- Why why why can't the sisters show just a little more grace and sportsmanship, enough to make people like me actually like them, rather than merely respect their undoubted talent?
-- Chris, Oxford, England

This sentiment came up again and again. The aforementioned Pete Bodo has taken to calling Venus the "Queen of Denial." I wonder if Venus, in particular, feels that if she gave opponents the slightest bit of credit, it would amount to acknowledgement of her declining game. So she offers the usual papp about "I'll do some things differently next time" and "It wasn't her winners; it was my errors."

That is an interesting theory, but admitting that your opponent was better that day isn't admitting anything other than she was better that day.

Tammy Bruce RightSideOfTheRainbow

Liberals: Hard on the unborn, soft on terrorists

Man-made climate change is a LIE

COUNTDOWN!
SelesFan70 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2005, 02:29 PM
.
 
Stamp Paid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: ...
Posts: 49,014
                     
LOL, Why did I know you would post this?


█████████████████ʘ
Stamp Paid is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2005, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
SelesFan70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 11,028
                     
What are you accusing me of?

Tammy Bruce RightSideOfTheRainbow

Liberals: Hard on the unborn, soft on terrorists

Man-made climate change is a LIE

COUNTDOWN!
SelesFan70 is offline  
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Bankhead Bounce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: atlgeorgiawhatdowedoforya
Posts: 428
                     
No big whoop.

Count them millions Serena and Venus!
Bankhead Bounce is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2005, 05:27 PM
country flag SJW
Senior Member
 
SJW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Allez
Posts: 11,016
                     
sorry, aren't Venus and Serena tennis players, not contestants in a popularity contest?
SJW is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Senior Member
 
DelMonte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: England
Posts: 2,342
                     
Here we go again....
DelMonte is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Senior Member
 
hablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: canada
Posts: 49,953
                     
hablo is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Senior Member
 
mykarma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,276
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelesFan70
I know it's been written about a lot already, mainly with reference to Serena, but after Venus' comments after her loss to Sharapova, I just despair -- Why why why can't the sisters show just a little more grace and sportsmanship, enough to make people like me actually like them, rather than merely respect their undoubted talent?
-- Chris, Oxford, England

This sentiment came up again and again. The aforementioned Pete Bodo has taken to calling Venus the "Queen of Denial." I wonder if Venus, in particular, feels that if she gave opponents the slightest bit of credit, it would amount to acknowledgement of her declining game. So she offers the usual papp about "I'll do some things differently next time" and "It wasn't her winners; it was my errors."

That is an interesting theory, but admitting that your opponent was better that day isn't admitting anything other than she was better that day.
mykarma is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2005, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
SelesFan70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 11,028
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJW
sorry, aren't Venus and Serena tennis players, not contestants in a popularity contest?
That's what Monica used to say back in the early 1990's Now she's way too nice to her opponents when she beats them. I hate it when she says, "I was lucky today". I want her to say, "Yeah, I kicked her ass!"

Tammy Bruce RightSideOfTheRainbow

Liberals: Hard on the unborn, soft on terrorists

Man-made climate change is a LIE

COUNTDOWN!
SelesFan70 is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2005, 06:46 PM
 
harloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Wonderland Arts Society
Posts: 18,925
                     
Sorry I read Venus post match interview after Sharapova defeated her and she did was not in denial about anything. She complemented Sharapova and talked about what she did wrong. Werthless is at his usual bashing again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh
I'll say this in public once. I miss serena so much. Fed is my favorite player but no one does it like her.

harloo is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Diesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,127
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankhead Bounce
No big whoop.

Count them millions Serena and Venus!
Keep on doing what you're doing babes
Diesel is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2005, 07:27 PM
 
harloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Wonderland Arts Society
Posts: 18,925
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketta
i got bored a while ago.
I just got bored with responding to "it". I will no longer acknowledge the thing anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh
I'll say this in public once. I miss serena so much. Fed is my favorite player but no one does it like her.

harloo is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Senior Member
 
deja_entendu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: taradise.
Posts: 1,599
                     
Yes, they are the sour grape queens, everyone has known this for a while.
deja_entendu is offline  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Senior Member
 
creep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: R.I.P Ethel
Posts: 3,589
                     
Very few players are gracious when it comes to defeat. Especially the top players. Maybe they think it’s a chink in their mental armour if they show sportsmanship to their opponent.If they were to acknowledge they were beaten by the better player on the day.Very few top players are actually liked (admired for their talent, yes). I know most times I watch a match, I’m usually always rooting for the underdog.
creep is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome