sharapova played amazing against venus! - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2005, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
DementievaPowa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 46
                     
sharapova played amazing against venus!

way to prove the haters wrong (as always )
DementievaPowa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2005, 09:47 PM
Senior Member
 
tennislover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,357
                     
true


Martina Navratilova



Most career titles (singles+doubles):Navratilova
Most Wimbledon singles titles: Navratilova
Most Wimbledon singles and doubles titles: Navratilova
Most WTA Tour Championship singles titles: Navratilova
Most WTA Tour Championship doubles titles: Navratilova
tennislover is offline  
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2005, 10:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: With Dmitry
Posts: 12,860
                     
Good reason to start a thread.


Darop. is offline  
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2005, 10:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Becool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Terra Brazilis
Posts: 11,785
                     
she played enough to beat a passive venus


serena
townsend × rezaï × lisicki × vesnina × aiava
keys × mladenovic × osaka × broady × jankovic


Becool is offline  
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2005, 11:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Lolo8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 325
                     
She just played solid tennis and served well. Her groundstrokes were consistent. I wouldn't exactly say she is a genuis or played like Roger Federer. Maria played Venus like every coach tells their player to play her, just go for the Venus forehand and wait for the error. I watched that match and Venus made some spectacular shots like the stab volley she made at the net to cut off a cross court passing shot by Maria but Venus never got credit for that. Venus went toe to toe with Maria but lost her serves and made alot of forehand errors as usual. I also feel she didn't make good shot selections, instead she was hitting the balls in Maria's strike zone. Venus was inconsistent like always,she only got agressive towards the end but I was still impressed by her performance. At least she didn't get double bageled.

Last edited by Lolo8; Apr 1st, 2005 at 11:22 PM.
Lolo8 is offline  
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 12:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,996
                     
considering maria played as well as she could play and we all know venus can go up several more levels........its kinda scary to think that maria only won the match on two breaks and mostly venus errors (venus had more winners in both sets).........in due time this rivalry will favor venus if she continues the progress the way that she has these past couple of weeks
Brooks. is offline  
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 12:49 AM
country flag Odd
Senior Member
 
Odd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Bra
Posts: 1,749
                     
She sure did play well. Lets hope she can keep it up for the final.

If both maria and kim play up to their semi final levels, we are in for an absolute bottler.
Odd is offline  
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 01:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Junex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,135
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeReeFan
considering maria played as well as she could play and we all know venus can go up several more levels........its kinda scary to think that maria only won the match on two breaks and mostly venus errors (venus had more winners in both sets).........in due time this rivalry will favor venus if she continues the progress the way that she has these past couple of weeks

In due time, you mean as they get older?

OK....

so who has more chances of progressing?

the 25 year old Venus or
the 18 year old Maria.....

Look, in that match Venus and Maria almost played at the same level, only Venus failed to hold on the big points and Maria take advantage.

And i understand from where you are standing as fan of the WS but please your logic is way idiotic here.

Junex is offline  
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 01:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Junex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,135
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becool
she played enough to beat a passive venus

hmmm....you said this as an excuse right?

way to discredit Venus
Junex is offline  
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 01:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,996
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junex
In due time, you mean as they get older?

OK....

so who has more chances of progressing?

the 25 year old Venus or
the 18 year old Maria.....

Look, in that match Venus and Maria almost played at the same level, only Venus failed to hold on the big points and Maria take advantage.

And i understand from where you are standing as fan of the WS but please your logic is way idiotic here.

my logic is that 18 year old maria is at her peak..........you can disagree all you want but remember age doesnt have much to do with when a player peaks (hingis anyone?)..........she wont get much better than she already is......venus on the other hand is not at her peak right now b/c she has proven she can play much better than she did against maria........maybe maria has another level higher than the one she has displayed this year but i highly doubt it.........she was taught to hit the ball hard and that was about it......she doesnt have anything to back that game plan up should it go off.....in my opinion her game will remain the same and players will soon discover how to beat her.......and please dont reply back with venus and serena have the exact same game as maria........they have better games.....their movement is better...shot selection better......volleys better....serve better.....and the list goes on.........obviously i could be wrong but i doubt it....
Brooks. is offline  
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 03:04 AM
Senior Member
 
MrYonex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Canada!
Posts: 725
                     
Wow, this argument could go either way. Lets just say congrats to Maria for a good match, and to Venus, hopefully you will win a big tourney soon! Congrats to both on a good tournament!

MONICA SELES ~ THE REAL WORLD'S NUMBER 1!!


Waiting For You To Come Back And Dominate, Monica


C'mon Canadian Tennis!
Marie-Eve Pelletier
Maureen Drake
Melanie Marois
Aleksandra Wozniak
MrYonex is offline  
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 03:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 547
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeReeFan
my logic is that 18 year old maria is at her peak..........you can disagree all you want but remember age doesnt have much to do with when a player peaks (hingis anyone?)..........she wont get much better than she already is......venus on the other hand is not at her peak right now b/c she has proven she can play much better than she did against maria........maybe maria has another level higher than the one she has displayed this year but i highly doubt it.........she was taught to hit the ball hard and that was about it......she doesnt have anything to back that game plan up should it go off.....in my opinion her game will remain the same and players will soon discover how to beat her.......and please dont reply back with venus and serena have the exact same game as maria........they have better games.....their movement is better...shot selection better......volleys better....serve better.....and the list goes on.........obviously i could be wrong but i doubt it....
so your saying that maria is at her peak right not but venus isn't cause she can play much better? once players hit their peak, they usually don't play that well ever again. Venus will never be as good as she was a few years ago.
Malin is offline  
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 03:13 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,996
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malin
so your saying that maria is at her peak right not but venus isn't cause she can play much better? once players hit their peak, they usually don't play that well ever again. Venus will never be as good as she was a few years ago.
well thats a good point..........its definitely not certain that venus will ever reach her peak form again..........i guess what i am trying to say is that peak venus beats peak maria 9 times out of 10 unless maria can show us that she has another level that she can reach (which is definitely possible......no denying that)........but in my humble opinion you won't see maria sharapova in her career play much better than she is playing right now
Brooks. is offline  
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 03:16 AM
Senior Member
 
faboozadoo15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: united states
Posts: 22,579
                     
first people say venus was passive, but then they see that she had way more winners and unforced errors than maria, who actually dictated more points. if fans are so delusional that they can't see that maria was tugging venus around the baseline on a string that entire match, then that's their issue (and their mistake).

then they wanna paint the picture that this was some ultra close match and that maria played out of her mind and that venus has all these other "levels" she can play at. well where are they?

to think venus is going to improve throughout the rest of her career and that maria will either stay the same or get worse is just retarded.
faboozadoo15 is offline  
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 03:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,996
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by faboozadoo15
first people say venus was passive, but then they see that she had way more winners and unforced errors than maria, who actually dictated more points. if fans are so delusional that they can't see that maria was tugging venus around the baseline on a string that entire match, then that's their issue (and their mistake).

then they wanna paint the picture that this was some ultra close match and that maria played out of her mind and that venus has all these other "levels" she can play at. well where are they?

to think venus is going to improve throughout the rest of her career and that maria will either stay the same or get worse is just retarded.
huh???
Brooks. is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome