Serena's post match interview - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 115 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2005, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dreamgoddess099's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lost in time
Posts: 6,357
                     
Serena's post match interview

S. WILLIAMS/V. Douchevina
6-3, 6-0
An interview with:

SERENA WILLIAMS


THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. How satisfied were you with that?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I was very satisfied with that win, I guess.

Q. Was it frustrating at the end to close out that first set?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, it was. I was just making errors and I should have did some things different. I did eventually close it out.

Q. How is the fitness?

SERENA WILLIAMS: How is the fitness? Good. I'm feeling good out there, yeah.

Q. Is that because you're very happy in this environment?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I guess I'm happy in the environment. I have a lot of friends out here. I'm in good shape, so...

Q. After three years, you figure that this is like your championship?

SERENA WILLIAMS: It's always up for grabs. I'm here once again to try to defend it.

Q. Do you know anything at all about the girl you play in the next round?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Who do I play?

Q. The young Israeli girl here, Shahar Peer.

SERENA WILLIAMS: Maybe. I think I heard of her. I think I've seen her play. I think I've definitely seen her play. Yeah, I've seen her play.

Q. We've heard lots and lots about your upbringing. She comes from a West Bank settlement in Israel. She's pretty tough.

SERENA WILLIAMS: You know what, I'm ignorant to the whole West Bank settlement of Israel. I'm American. Can you elaborate on that, please.

Q. It's a dangerous place to live.

SERENA WILLIAMS: Is it, hmm. I'll have to look more into that.

I mean, unfortunately, like I said, I have no idea. I'm totally blind to that right now. I would have to look into that more.

Q. Would you recognize her if she came walking past you in the players' lounge?

SERENA WILLIAMS: There's a lot of people that I wouldn't recognize so I can't, you know ‑‑ there's just a lot of people. Especially now because there's so many new players coming and doing so well, so...

But, yeah.

Q. Anything that makes it really interesting for us or the spectators that you have new players coming where you, you know, which are maybe not that well‑known but show great ambition?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I definitely think it's very interesting to play different players that I've never seen. I seem to play a lot of players, a lot of different players that I've never played before. It's good because it keeps everything interesting.

Q. By the same token, Kim is back, Justine got back today. How do you see next year going at the very top of the game?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, as long as all the players are able to stay healthy and, you know, get back. You can't come back all of a sudden. It definitely, I think, takes a little while to get in shape. But if you're working hard, you should be able to come back fast. I just think it will be great for the game again.

Q. Is this competition more than what you expected for this first round?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Definitely, no, I knew she was a tough player. Almost played her a few times but then we never met so I've been meaning to play her for a while now.

Q. Does she have much potential?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I think she has great potential. She's a great fighter. I believe she's young, is she young?

Q. Yes, 17.

SERENA WILLIAMS: So she's doing really well, and she's a fighter and a hustler. She's gotten better already in a year.

Q. May I ask you about your thoughts about Amelie as a player, Amelie Mauresmo as a player and a person, what you know of her, what you think of her.

SERENA WILLIAMS: I think, you know, obviously she's been doing really well as a player. She wins a lot of Tier II's and Tier I's as well, hasn't quite been able to win that Grand Slam. She's almost there. I think she'll definitely get there sooner or later.

Q. The fact that she got to No. 1 without winning a Slam, can you reflect on that?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, you know, she won a lot of tournaments. I think Lindsay was No. 1 without winning a Slam last year as well. It goes to show you if you play a lot, then, you know, you can be No. 1. But I want to win Slams.

Q. How important is the No. 1 ranking to you at the moment? Is it winning Slams or the No. 1 ranking?

SERENA WILLIAMS: For me, the No. 1 ranking is obviously really important. I would love to be No. 1, but at the same time, I would love to win Grand Slams and keep going because I always said, if you win the Slams, then the ranking will come.

Q. How much does the crowd affect you when you're out playing? Do you ever pay attention to it, do you block it out totally, the calls, the cheers?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, I don't know. I try to block it out. Sometimes you hear what people are saying. For me, I'm just fighting, you know.

Q. I wanted to ask you about your other career. I was reading an excellent book on the biography of Althea Gibson. Although your sister looks more like Althea than you do, but since you're the actress in the family, I thought who could play it better than you if it were a movie? Has anyone approached you about doing something like that?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Yeah, I think physically Althea ‑‑ it would be a great challenge for me because I guess I would have to get in different type of shape, maybe lose a little muscle mass. That would be exciting to play that role.

Actually, I think it would be fun. It would be a great role for me to play. I've never thought about that, actually. I should probably try to get in on it, you know, because actually I would really do well in that role. I would excel because I obviously play tennis and I'm obviously an actress, and I think it would, you know, it would be hot and it would really be able to stretch my acting because Althea went through a lot as well off the court, and then she was playing golf and stuff like that. I would love, love to do that.

Q. Did you read that book, the book was called, "The Match"? It is about her friendship with Angela Buxton.

SERENA WILLIAMS: No, I didn't read it. I didn't read it. Who would play Angela Buxton?

Q. Well, the author told me he hasn't been approached about doing it as a movie. It was something that was on my mind. He said Venus would look more like Althea, but you're the actress in the family.

SERENA WILLIAMS: (Smiling) Venus, I don't know, maybe she acts as well so, you know...

But we would go out and test for it. Hopefully I'd get the role (laughing).

Q. There's been a lot built up about your outfits. How much of that plays ‑‑ do you just let it by?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I just let it by and I just play tennis. People are always speculating on what I'm going to wear next, so we'll keep watching. I like to make people guess. It's fun.

Q. Last year you came back after a long layoff here and you did very well. What's the last part of a player's game that gets back into sync?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I would say the mental aspect because, you know, I was winning, but it's like getting back in that mental stability thinking, "Okay, right here I'm going to focus on this point." Because you know which point you want to focus on. So just later last year, and during the California swing of tournaments, I finally was in that mental aspect thinking, "Okay, this point right here." I was like, "Oh, I forgot that I used to do that." I forgot that was what I used to do to stay focused on the court. I would say that takes the longest.

Q. How much better shape are you than you were a year ago?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Last year I wasn't in shape at all. I was just here on a wing and a prayer.

Q. You say you weren't in shape. When I'm looking at your muscle tone, your serve and your stamina, the long periods, long matches, you seem to outlast players.

SERENA WILLIAMS: Well, I don't know. I guess mentally I was in shape. I was like "Okay, I'm not going to get tired." But it was hard because it was hard for me to run and do things to get in shape last year because I had knee problems. But, you know, this year has been much different. I'm just so excited that I'm not having those issues right now.

"I want you to believe in yourself in every positive thing you do, and success will be your portion,"
Serena Williams inspires the children of Ghana
dreamgoddess099 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 115 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2005, 03:11 AM
Senior Member
 
VeeReeDavJCap81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 9,542
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamgoddess099
SERENA WILLIAMS: Maybe. I think I heard of her. I think I've seen her play. I think I've definitely seen her play. Yeah, I've seen her play.
SERENA LMAO!!!

Really, don't even look at me...
VeeReeDavJCap81 is offline  
post #3 of 115 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2005, 03:14 AM
.
 
Stamp Paid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: ...
Posts: 49,014
                     
What an odd question, "What do you think about Amelie Mauresmo?" I wouldn't want to hear Mauresmo's answer to "What do you think of Serena Williams?"

And Serena, you should know more about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, ignorant American or not. You should know what a settlement is.


█████████████████ʘ
Stamp Paid is offline  
post #4 of 115 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2005, 03:15 AM
 
harloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Wonderland Arts Society
Posts: 19,001
                     
Serena is so funny about the Althea role. LOL!

Why did the interviewer ask her about Amelie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh
I'll say this in public once. I miss serena so much. Fed is my favorite player but no one does it like her.

harloo is offline  
post #5 of 115 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2005, 03:15 AM
NeverWoz
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 26,904
                     
Holy shit. I think the entire reason Serena's answers seem ridiuclous sometimes is because those questions are SO STUPID. I've never seen such shitty questions in my life.
Ryan is offline  
post #6 of 115 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2005, 03:17 AM
country flag CC
Senior Member
 
CC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Still Point
Posts: 8,726
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustIncredible
What an odd question, "What do you think about Amelie Mauresmo?" I wouldn't want to hear Mauresmo's answer to "What do you think of Serena Williams?"

And Serena, you should know more about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, ignorant American or not. You should know what a settlement is.
She's just trying to avoid getting into something that is controversial. Reporters are usually just fishing for a good quote.
CC is offline  
post #7 of 115 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2005, 03:17 AM
Senior Member
 
vettipooh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 5,076
                     
Tricky questions deserve tricky answers.......and no one knows that better than Rena and Vee.lol:

Venus and Serena.....2012 Grand Slam Champions!
The Greatest Ever Grand Slam Team, Does It Again!!!!

And It's Not Over Yet...Just Wait....Wait.
vettipooh is offline  
post #8 of 115 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2005, 03:19 AM
Senior Member
 
kabuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In denial
Posts: 6,176
                     
Oh Lord. This thing is going to be at least 5 pages long. *sigh*
kabuki is offline  
post #9 of 115 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2005, 03:20 AM
 
harloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Wonderland Arts Society
Posts: 19,001
                     
What was up with the interviewer asking her about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict? She is not on CNN. Unfreaking believable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh
I'll say this in public once. I miss serena so much. Fed is my favorite player but no one does it like her.

harloo is offline  
post #10 of 115 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2005, 03:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 45,119
                     
Smart girl...I think she just wanted to avoid another conflict...remember how she's still being victimized for the French thing?

Always bet on black!
Can you handle the truth?
The truth:
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
22 majors:6376


Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline  
post #11 of 115 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2005, 03:21 AM
Senior Member
 
Knizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 21,749
                     
Quote:
SERENA WILLIAMS: (Smiling) Venus, I don't know, maybe she acts as well so, you know...

But we would go out and test for it. Hopefully I'd get the role (laughing).


I love it.
Knizzle is offline  
post #12 of 115 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2005, 03:27 AM
NeverWoz
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 26,904
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneve
True, but I think it is commendable what she said,


because I think there is a huge difference between not knowing/not caring, and not knowing/being willing to learn more.

I don't think she HAS to know about it at all. She's a wealthy athlete/designer/actress. Personally, I do not know much about it and I don't do anything but work and go to school.
Ryan is offline  
post #13 of 115 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2005, 03:28 AM
.
 
Stamp Paid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: ...
Posts: 49,014
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC
She's just trying to avoid getting into something that is controversial. Reporters are usually just fishing for a good quote.
OK yeah, answering that quote directly turns Serena into either an Anti-Semite or something else bad.


█████████████████ʘ
Stamp Paid is offline  
post #14 of 115 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2005, 03:30 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 120
                     
I've been critical of serenas responses in interviews b4, but I hope that this is a sign that she is getting better at dealing with them. She seems to be getting more mature to me, like venus a year or two ago changed too.

I think she handled the amelie question pretty well, and the political question too. If youre not an expert, say so, and dont get sucked into saying something that will get you in trouble. Its like when monica used to get asked about serbian politics, she would try not to get drawn into it..........
anabolix is offline  
post #15 of 115 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2005, 03:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Staticbeef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,218
                     
Damn, when will they learn? they keep trying to clown baby girl and they just get clowned instead. You go Rena, handle your Bus.
Staticbeef is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome