Jelena Jankovic: Motivation For Success
As long as I'm fit everything will be fine... a saying JJ repeats often.
However good fortune didn't smile on our number one player at the beginning of the new season. A virus has completely drained Jelena for the first tournaments of 2005 and because of exhaustion Jelena had to withdraw from Antwerpen and Doha.
- When I got back to Belgrade people couldn't believe how much weight I lost and how badly I was playing. I didn't even have the strength to hit the ball properly - explains Jelena
The young player was left with no option other than to come home, rest and prepare for the rest of the season.
- I've recovered from the virus but have come down with another cold since but compared to what I've been through recently this minor cough is nothing more than a hindrance - says a smiling Jelena
The current 27 in the world doesn't hide her disappoitment at the series of bad results especially after perfect preperations.
- Luckily I didn't have many points to defend so I've retained my ranking but I'm still disappointed that i became ill and that I didn't start the season like I expected and won more WTA points... To reach 23rd I need only another 50 points. Recently Jelena got a boost to her confidence from the WTA. Together with Tatjana Golovin and Nikola Vaidisova our player was nominated for 2004's rookie of the year
- I don't know if I'll win it but I'm grateful for the recognition. The buzz is that Golovin and myself are favorites.
Despite the poor start to the season Jelena hasn't changed this year's goals of climbing further in the rankings and bringing success to the "Blues".
-Next Friday I'm off to Dubai where I won my first big tournament. I hope that this city will bring a turnaroand in my career for the second time. I'd also like Ana Ivanovic, Jelena Dokic and I to make an accord with regard to Fed Cup matches and I hope we can reach the World Group. I don't know if we will achieve that I still haven't spoken with the new selector Tatjana Jacmenica but I've been in the Serbian team since I was a junior and everyone knows how much playing for the "Blues" means to me.
My "club" is Serbia-Montenegro !
Jelena's eventual transfer from Red star to Partizan kicked up a lot of dust in the local media. After more than a month of silence, the rival supporters are interested in the final outcome
- I'd rather not discuss this at this time because nothing is definite yet. My "club" before everything else is Serbia-Montenegro - explains Jelena who is currently training with Red Star experts in Belgrade.
Van Harpen in the wings
Jelena has approached the top of the WTA list. To reach the top-ten however a top coach is essential. Jelena has made an agreement in principal with one of Europe's most well-known coaches, Erik Van Harpen who until recently worked with Ana Ivanovic.
- Erik is having an op on his arm so a potential partnership wouldn't begin until Indian Wells. I am also getting offers from other coaches.
Some other news
Filip Zepter becomes the general sponsor of the Serbia national team. He also becomes the head of the Serbian Olympic Committe which is great news for all sport in the country.
Also Gemaks Tennis Club are planning to build a permanent 4000 seat venue in Belgrade http://www.gemaxtennisclub.com/
and increase the status of their one and only event the, the ATP Samsung Open Challenger. Read nothing yet about a WTA event or even a challenger.
A slovene newspaper has apparently reported that iva majli asked jelena to play for the croat fed cup team on the basis of her birthplace and her current location. Since her place of birth is Yugoslavia like everyone before the break up I'm not quite sure what she's talking about. Also, wouldn't it take 3 years for her to that ?
Also some papers saying she's back in Belgrade. Again. If that's the case, good move.