Why Venus Lost - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2005, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,049
                     
Why Venus Lost

She was 1 for 7 on break point converstions. 1 little break could have won her the match because it was so close.
backhanddtl4 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Senior Member
 
lizchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Bergen County
Posts: 20,943
                     
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhanddtl4
She was 1 for 7 on break point converstions. 1 little break could have won her the match because it was so close.
You're right.

Venus had four break points to begin the second set and could not convert. Had she done so, the match probably would have gone to three sets.
lizchris is offline  
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Senior Member
 
K-Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,379
                     
Plus, Venus didn't attack the backhand of Molik. Duh Venus! It really isn't that hard to figure that one out. I could've been her coach and told her that. She only served four times to the Molik backhand on first serves, and only 2 times on the second. Is Venus stupid? Molik's backhand sucks. Attack through her backhand to get to the net. That backhand is a weakness!! It's like if Alicia were to hit to Venus' backhand all day. Venus would've won if she would've employed this very simply tatic.
K-Dog is offline  
 
post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Senior Member
 
lizchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Bergen County
Posts: 20,943
                     
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dog
Plus, Venus didn't attack the backhand of Molik. Duh Venus! It really isn't that hard to figure that one out. I could've been her coach and told her that. She only served four times to the Molik backhand on first serves, and only 2 times on the second. Is Venus stupid. Molik's backhand sucks. Attack through her abckhand to get to the net. That backhand is a weakness!! It's like if Alicia were to hit to Venus' backhand all day. Venus would've won if she would've employed this very simply tatic.
Venus isn't stupid; you don't win four Grand Slam if you are stupid.

Venus didn't use that tatic this time, but I bet you the next time they play she will.
lizchris is offline  
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 15,899
                     
The game has passed Venus by. Its time she started to try to catch up or just admit that she's done.
LeRoy. is offline  
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Senior Member
 
~Cherry*Blossom~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 26,231
                     
You just know that Lindsay will exploit Molik's backhand!!!

Serena
Venus Venus
Serena

THE ROYAL SAINT - OFFICIAL MEMBER OF THE ROYAL COURT
USO99 FO02 W02 USO02 AO03 W03 AO05 AO07 USO08 AO09 W09 AO10 W10 W12 USO12 FO13 USO13 USO14 AO15 FO15 W15 W16 AO17
W00 USO00 W01 USO01 W05 W07 W08
~Cherry*Blossom~ is offline  
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Senior Member
 
lizchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Bergen County
Posts: 20,943
                     
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaB
The game has passed Venus by. Its time she started to try to catch up or just admit that she's done.
That's why she is 8 in the world.

She is far from done. You may want her to be done, but until she says she is done, then she is done.
lizchris is offline  
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 15,899
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizchris
That's why she is 8 in the world.
Well she has been back for over a year and yet is only # 8.

Had Kim , Justine and Jennifer not been injured she would have been OUT of the top ten.
LeRoy. is offline  
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Senior Member
 
K-Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,379
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizchris
Venus isn't stupid; you don't win four Grand Slam if you are stupid.

Venus didn't use that tatic this time, but I bet you the next time they play she will.
Next time doesn't matter, she played stupid!! Yes she won 4 slams, but the tour just isn't the same anymore!! Venus didn't need to play smart when she won her slams. During those years her serve was better and she was way more powerful than 98% of the tour. Now that isn't the same. I love Venus, and I would love to coach Venus (yeah, I wish!) because all she needs is a strategy and some little bits of confidence and she'll being winning again!! Believe me, when I don't play with a strategy, I don't feel confident. You're unsure of why you aren't hurting your opponent and why your game just isn't winning it for you. If Venus had someone give her a strategy then she would've won most of the Davenport matches last year, beaten Molik today, and not have lost to the types of players she's been losing to recently. I never said that she was stupid as a human being, but tennis wise today, she was!!
K-Dog is offline  
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Senior Member
 
lizchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Bergen County
Posts: 20,943
                     
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaB
Well she has been back for over a year and yet is only # 8.

Had Kim , Justine and Jennifer not been injured she would have been OUT of the top ten.
I wouldn't be so sure about that because if she were not injured, she would not have fallen out of the top ten.
lizchris is offline  
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Senior Member
 
lizchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Bergen County
Posts: 20,943
                     
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dog
Next time doesn't matter, she played stupid!! Yes she won 4 slams, but the tour just isn't the same anymore!! Venus didn't need to play smart when she won her slams. During those years her serve was better and she was way more powerful than 98% of the tour. Now that isn't the same. I love Venus, and I would love to coach Venus (yeah, I wish!) because all she needs is a strategy and some little bits of confidence and she'll being winning again!! Believe me, when I don't play with a strategy, I don't feel confident. You're unsure of why you aren't hurting your opponent and why your game just isn't winning it for you. If Venus had someone give her a strategy then she would've won most of the Davenport matches last year, beaten Molik today, and not have lost to the types of players she's been losing to recently. I never said that she was stupid as a human being, but tennis wise today, she was!!
Actually, you implied she was and that is worse than acutaly coming out and saying it.

I guess she should leave the tour until she figures out how to play again.
lizchris is offline  
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Senior Member
 
K-Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,379
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizchris
Actually, you implied she was and that is worse than acutaly coming out and saying it.

I guess she should leave the tour until she figures out how to play again.
Lizchris, do you play tennis competively? Second, I know that in terms of intelligence, Venus is very smart. Venus didn't play smart at all today. And since when are you related to Venus or good friends with her. If I feel that she played stupid I have a right to say that. Venus didn't go out there with a game plan, and it bit her in the ass royally. Venus is now playing more consistently, that was the first step, playing consistently in her comeback. The new racket and daily regimine have worked well in that department. Venus is very intelligent and all she had to do is watch one match of Alicia's to figure out what to do against her on the court. I guarentee that she would've won the match if she did!!
K-Dog is offline  
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Beware Of The Dog, Bitch.
 
!<blocparty>!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: LAX, JFK & LHR.
Posts: 21,941
                     
That was easier said than done out there today given the way molik played. Venus was having difficulty coping with that backhand slice of Alicia - off the forehand wing. But she could have hit there a tad bit more maybe. Going back to the opening post -

Women's tennis sucks.
~


Go Rafa.

!<blocparty>! is offline  
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Senior Member
 
K-Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,379
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by !<bloc_party>!
That was easier said than done out there today given the way molik played. Venus was having difficulty coping with that backhand slice of Alicia - off the forehand wing. But she could have hit there a tad bit more maybe. Going back to the opening post -
I agree that her break points were poor, but on the one of the six she could've played a good deep ball to Alicia's backhand, she may have won the point. I was more frustrated that Venus didn't serve more to the backhand. She could've served and volleyed to that side too!
K-Dog is offline  
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Beware Of The Dog, Bitch.
 
!<blocparty>!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: LAX, JFK & LHR.
Posts: 21,941
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dog
I agree that her break points were poor, but on the one of the six she could've played a good deep ball to Alicia's backhand, she may have won the point. I was more frustrated that Venus didn't serve more to the backhand. She could've served and volleyed to that side too!
Yes, I agree. Venus still went to the backhand in the match though, Alicia was running around it quite a bit too, and played some slices that troubled Venus and mixed it up well by coming over it. But all credit to Alicia for the improvement in the shot though. Molik was also looking to dominate the point early on with that monster FH, so once she got the first srtike in, V had to play brilliantly to get a good shot that forced Alicia on the backfoot with a BH.

Venus did miss a few chances though, that BH pass DTL that went into the net in the TB (i think) comes to mind.

Women's tennis sucks.
~


Go Rafa.

!<blocparty>! is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome