Recent news on all top-10 players leading into the Australian Open:
1. Lindsay Davenport: Withdrew from Hopman Cup with injury
2. Amelie Mauresmo: Withdrew from Hong Kong with injury
3. Anastasia Myskina: Fine AFAIK
4. Maria Sharapova: Withdrew from Hong Kong with "stomache problems"
5. Svetlana Kuznetsova: Fine AFAIK
6. Elena Dementieva: Fine AFAIK
7. Serena Williams: Withdrew from HK singles with injury
8. Justine Henin-Hardenne: Withdrew from Australian Open
9. Venus Williams: Fine AFAIK
10. Jennifer Capriati: Withdrew from Sydney and Tampa with injury
So who the hell's gonna actually BE there?!
I know some of them must have been precautionary withdrawals since withdrawing from a smaller tournament/exhibition before a major tournament is not uncommon.