Patty's Battle of the Sexes Part 3 vs. Austrian ATP pro - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2004, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 6,898
                     
Patty's Battle of the Sexes Part 3 vs. Austrian ATP pro

Patty Schnyder is set to play Austrian journeyman pro Thomas Schliessling (ATP 1050) in the St Anton exho on Thursday. In '02 at St Anton, Patty beat 1180th ranked Patrick Mayr 7-6 7-5, then last year she lost a surprisingly competetive match to ATP 167 and one of Austria's top players, Daniel Kollerer 6-2 6-4. Schliessling is not as good as Kollerer but he is definitely better than Mayr. He has been ranked inside the Top 300 and just last week qualified at a 25K Challenger. I have a feeling that this time Patty is going to take a pretty sound beating at the hands of the male pro, but who knows until they actually play, hopefully someobdy will see the match and be able to report on it...
vogus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2004, 07:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 121
                     
Oh! Is this frist time ?
If yes , I think Patty is an amazing girl. Wow !!
Tochio is offline  
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Plainclothes Division
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: South Park, CO
Posts: 6,350
                     
This is the rubber match. Go Patty!
Brian Stewart is offline  
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2004, 08:51 AM
Senior Member
 
Greenout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Abroad with a passport
Posts: 16,036
                     
Come on Patty!! Who says Patty has no sense of humour or is dour?

Co-Founder of JUSTINE Philistines' Society
Paul Weller & Morrissey + Tennis - Singing = Justine!

"I hung onto tennis. I have done so for the past 20 years.
It is something that is in me, it is me." - JH
Greenout is offline  
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 25,567
                     
His name is Schiessling.

Prediction if it was a real match: Schiessling def. Schnyder 6-1 6-1

Prediction for this match: someone wins 6-4 7-6.
GoDominique is offline  
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2004, 12:51 PM
On tour
 
DutchieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: my own Dutchie world
Posts: 152,978
                     
Go Patty!

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/i...10/sheadam.jpg

She & Him @ Melkweg "The Max", Amsterdam 6th May 2010
DutchieGirl is offline  
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Senior Member
 
TheBoiledEgg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: in Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 180,365
                     
is Patty on a one-woman crusade to finish Austrian tennis ??

would she be playing the Austrian women (only if half were not injured and other half not retired)

Good luck in 2016 to my favs*Kuznetsova*Sharapova*Kleybanova*Vesnina*Shvedova*Kulichkova*Kasatkina*
Pavlyuchenkova*Makarova*Diatchenko*Pivovarova*Gasparyan*Leykina*Zhuk*Potapova*Pervushina*AZARENKA *Govortsova
MINELLA TsurenkoAlize Lim*El Tabakh*Robson*Cirstea
*Juhaszova*Zanevska*Broady*Bouchard*
Cetkovska*Svitolina*
Pliskova's*Rus*Bellis*Soylu*Sibille*Uberalova*Eden Silva*
http://www.twitter.com/TheBoiledEgg
TheBoiledEgg is online now  
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2004, 04:14 PM
country flag xan
Senior Member
 
xan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: UK
Posts: 5,810
                     
Patty's not been playing so well this year, but hopefully she'll put up a good showing. The matches are usually reported briefly on her swiss website.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Official Hitman of the Maria Mafia
xan is offline  
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2004, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 6,898
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenout
Come on Patty!! Who says Patty has no sense of humour or is dour?
Well put. Patty has no sense of humor and is dour. She's the ultimate grumpy billionaire heiress.

I don't think this Austrian guy is going to be cutting the corner too close (that is, if he can help it). Patrick Mayr hasnt shown his face in public since he got beat by Patty two years ago. I doubt that kind of embarassment is worth the 10 or 15 thousand$ that these guys are getting paid for the exho. If Patty beats him it will be a totally legit win.
vogus is offline  
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Senior Member
 
LefandePatty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 31,434
                     
Good luck Patty !!!!!
LefandePatty is offline  
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 301
                     
no question about having sense of humour.
soos n the sis is offline  
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 7,044
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by vogus
Well put. Patty has no sense of humor and is dour. She's the ultimate grumpy billionaire heiress.

I don't think this Austrian guy is going to be cutting the corner too close (that is, if he can help it). Patrick Mayr hasnt shown his face in public since he got beat by Patty two years ago. I doubt that kind of embarassment is worth the 10 or 15 thousand$ that these guys are getting paid for the exho. If Patty beats him it will be a totally legit win.
Patrick Mayr was the equivalent of a Laura-Ritchey Thomas or an Elizabeth Freeman-Young on the mens tour. Mayr's ranking points came from playing low level tournaments in third world countries where the qualifying draws were basically empty. He picked up the odd win against another journeyman, but basically got his ATP ranking off of smart scheduling rather than actual ability. Patty should have won that match.

If this is a legitimate match Patty shouldn't be able to get more than three or four games. The only advantage is that Patty is used to playing in front of big crowds and this guy more than likely is not.
CoryAnnAvants#1 is offline  
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2004, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 6,898
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradshaw#1
Patrick Mayr was the equivalent of a Laura-Ritchey Thomas or an Elizabeth Freeman-Young on the mens tour. Mayr's ranking points came from playing low level tournaments in third world countries where the qualifying draws were basically empty. He picked up the odd win against another journeyman, but basically got his ATP ranking off of smart scheduling rather than actual ability. Patty should have won that match.

If this is a legitimate match Patty shouldn't be able to get more than three or four games. The only advantage is that Patty is used to playing in front of big crowds and this guy more than likely is not.
i agree somewhat but not totally. Mayr picked up a few cheap points in Nigeria or something to get his ranking, but unlike those women you cited, he was also the local champion of his region (Innsbruck i think), and he had be decent to manage that, as tennis is a popular sport in Austria. The ability of any female pro to beat even low-level male pros was something that most people (including myself) previously thought was impossible.

about the outcome of tomorrow's match, i think you are right, it shouldnt be very close, Schliessling is an experienced pro players - but after last year's scoreline against Kollerer, i'm not making any prediction.
vogus is offline  
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2004, 01:13 AM
Senior Member
 
Crazy Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Munchkin Land
Posts: 28,455
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDominique
His name is Schiessling.

Prediction if it was a real match: Schiessling def. Schnyder 6-1 6-1

Prediction for this match: someone wins 6-4 7-6.
I don't know about the actual scoreline, since I know absolutely nothing about this guy, but I agree with you that we really shouldn't read into the scoreline.... it's an exhibition. And exhibitions... are just that.
Crazy Canuck is offline  
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2004, 04:24 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 11,063
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by xan
Patty's not been playing so well this year, but hopefully she'll put up a good showing. The matches are usually reported briefly on her swiss website.
this year has been pretty good for patty considering she was injured for most the clay season which should be her best time of year.

GS semi, 2 tier I semis, 4th round US Open, semis of US Open doubles, doubles title. ranked 14 singes and 17 in doubles. only 98 and 2002 are comparable.
switz is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome