My two cents: Myskina is overrated - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2004, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 10,798
                     
My two cents: Myskina is overrated

You know I am one that respects and enjoys all the women that play the game on the WTA tour. But after reading all the hoopla over Anastasia Myskina, all I have to say is that she is absolutely the most overrated as a tennis player.

As far as I am concerned, Myskina is one of THE luckiest tennis players ever to have played the game. It's never mentioned that she rose near to the top when all the injuries began to plague the women's top players in 2003.

Granted she took full advantage of the situation, and it's not really her fault the tour had gone the way it has since June of 2003.

But I sincerely doubt she would be where she is right now if the Williams sisters, the Belgians and Capriati and Davenport had not suffered so many injuries that kept them off the tour and left them struggling to even return to the players they were.

Now don't get me wrong, I applaud Myskina for working harder and being able to find her best success on tour since the Fall of 2003.

But I really want to see what she is made of once EVERYBODY on tour is fully healthy and back on tour fulltime.

Than let's see what she is REALLY made of and then we can start singing the praises if whether or not she is the "best tactition," "the craftiest player since Hingis," and "the most exciting tennis player to watch."
Jakeev is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2004, 07:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Joana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Yugoslavia
Posts: 11,602
                     
All I am saying is when she is playing well, she is absolutely brilliant and a true joy to watch.
Joana is offline  
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2004, 07:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 7,843
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeev
But I really want to see what she is made of once EVERYBODY on tour is fully healthy and back on tour fulltime.
Yes, all the evidence says that this is going to happen any time soon

You come across as someone who is basing their opinion of Myskina on one match, and who cannot get over the fact that the status quo in tennis is no more.
sartrista7 is offline  
post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2004, 07:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 348
                     
And what players do not take advantage when other players are hurt. lets face it no one stays at the top very long. Hingis, Serena, Venus, Clijsters, Henin all of them came and went so stop crying over spilled milk, right now Myskina is one of the best and most exciting.

Don't hate me because I see life as Beautiful.
Instead you should ask why you can not see it like I do?


http://www.inside.superhost.pl/board/
www.Inside-Tennis.net
http://www.jelly-dokic.com/
http://www.dropshots-protennisphotos.com/

Anna Kournikova, thank you for everything you have done. You don't know what you have done for me. Thank you for the great times.
Frank Riley is offline  
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2004, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 10,798
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by sartrista7
Yes, all the evidence says that this is going to happen any time soon

You come across as someone who is basing their opinion of Myskina on one match, and who cannot get over the fact that the status quo in tennis is no more.
Wrong I'm basing my opinion on the facts of what she has accomplished since October of 2003 until now and in the manner in how she has been able to find success and rise in the rankings.

Moreover, on the ridiculous threads that people have been writing about her.......
Jakeev is offline  
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2004, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 10,798
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Riley
And what players do not take advantage when other players are hurt. lets face it no one stays at the top very long. Hingis, Serena, Venus, Clijsters, Henin all of them came and went so stop crying over spilled milk, right now Myskina is one of the best and most exciting.
Again if you say so. You are entitled to your opinion.........
Jakeev is offline  
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2004, 07:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Crazy Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Munchkin Land
Posts: 28,584
                     
Gee, I wonder why Myskina got to be the lucky chosen one and not say, Suarez or just about anybody else. I guess Myskina just prayed a lot
Crazy Canuck is offline  
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2004, 07:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 7,843
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeev
Wrong I'm basing my opinion on the facts of what she has accomplished since October of 2003 until now and in the manner in how she has been able to find success and rise in the rankings.

Moreover, on the ridiculous threads that people have been writing about her.......
Ah, you're basing your opinion on results and statistics rather than actually watching her play. That explains it

Also, this is eerily reminiscent of what people used to say about Justine and Kim
sartrista7 is offline  
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2004, 07:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 7,843
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Gee, I wonder why Myskina got to be the lucky chosen one and not say, Suarez or just about anybody else. I guess Myskina just prayed a lot
Ha - ironically enough, look at Paola's draws in the Slams this year. If anyone on the WTA Tour has had a horseshoe up their ass this year it's been her
sartrista7 is offline  
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2004, 07:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Crazy Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Munchkin Land
Posts: 28,584
                     
People were still saying it about Justine until about midpoint this year After she came back and won Athens most of the "Justine is just lucky!" comments died a horrible death.
Crazy Canuck is offline  
post #11 of 71 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2004, 07:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Joana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Yugoslavia
Posts: 11,602
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
People were still saying it about Justine until about midpoint this year After she came back and won Athens most of the "Justine is just lucky!" comments died a horrible death.
But that was because she was taking steroids, remember?
Joana is offline  
post #12 of 71 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2004, 07:59 PM
Senior Member
 
raquel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Legendary!
Posts: 7,096
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeev

Granted she took full advantage of the situation, and it's not really her fault the tour had gone the way it has since June of 2003.

But I sincerely doubt she would be where she is right now if the Williams sisters, the Belgians and Capriati and Davenport had not suffered so many injuries that kept them off the tour and left them struggling to even return to the players they were.
Davenport was healthy in Moscow and L.A, Henin was healthy in Leipzig last year, Venus Williams was healthy at RG and on a good clay court streak and Jennifer Capriati was healthy at RG as well. When you say she took advantage it's not like all these players were hobbling around injured during those matches.


raquel is offline  
post #13 of 71 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2004, 07:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 7,843
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joana
But that was because she was taking steroids, remember?
And remember that she's still 1-7 against Venus or whatever. Clearly the inferior player, the rankings are LYING.
sartrista7 is offline  
post #14 of 71 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2004, 08:09 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 51
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by sartrista7
And remember that she's still 1-7 against Venus or whatever. Clearly the inferior player, the rankings are LYING.
When did they last meet????
WTAaddict is offline  
post #15 of 71 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2004, 08:10 PM
Senior Member
 
AlexB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,947
                     
but aren't injuries part of the game? and what if myskina gets hurt next year , does that mean the people thta take her spot don't deserve it either....injuries or not you still have top produce...also even if all the players come back healthy the only 3 that can potentially surpass her are serena, kim and justine...WORST case senario she still is in the top ten (not too bad)..also why should anyplayer get penalized for someone else'e injuries and rushing back too fast like kim and justine did? but we do agree on one thing: i hope all the players stay healthy in 2005 thats for sure

Riding the 3AM Rollercoaster

Anastasia Myskina - 2004 French Open Champion
Member of the 2004 Fed Cup Champions
Member of the 2005 Fed Cup Champions
AlexB is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome