Venus Vs Serena Aussie Open 2003 (Was this a good match) - TennisForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2004, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
henree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: usa
Posts: 681
                     
Venus Vs Serena Aussie Open 2003 (Was this a good match)

I found a website that has this match for sale. Unfortunately it is gonna cost me 35.00 dollars for the dvd. To those that have seen this match is it good. More importantly, is it worth the above mentioned amount? I have been very interested in Serena and Venus's domination period between 2002 and 2003.
If this match is not that good, are there any other matches I should look into picking up. Tennis Videos website has a 180 min deal where I can get as many matches as I wan't for 35.00 as long as it doesn't exceed the 180 min count.
henree is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2004, 08:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 312
                     
I guess that that was one of their better grand slam finals, Serena was also taken to three sets so it should be a more balanced match.
Tichi is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Middle Earth
Posts: 1,011
                     
It was dramatic because Serena was playing for the Grand Slam, but I liked the WB'02 better.
Gandalf is offline  
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2004, 02:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Experimentee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,064
                     
Yes it was a good match. I think it was the best of the Williams matches, maybe also WImby 02 was up there.
Experimentee is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2004, 02:29 PM
Senior Member
 
alfajeffster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: United States of America
Posts: 9,216
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by henree
I found a website that has this match for sale. Unfortunately it is gonna cost me 35.00 dollars for the dvd. To those that have seen this match is it good. More importantly, is it worth the above mentioned amount? I have been very interested in Serena and Venus's domination period between 2002 and 2003.
If this match is not that good, are there any other matches I should look into picking up. Tennis Videos website has a 180 min deal where I can get as many matches as I wan't for 35.00 as long as it doesn't exceed the 180 min count.
I was in Melbourne that day and watched the match under the closed roof at Rod Laver Arena. I personally did not think it was a good match at all- was chock full of unforced errors on both players' sides, and neither player played great tennis- most of it was tentative and pretty awful, to tell you the truth. Venus should have won the match, IMO, as Serena played the first two sets spraying the ball all over the place, and finally cut down on her unforced errors long enough and started serving well enough in the third to actually win the match. None of the matches they've played against each other are great, really. They love each other, and I think it prevents them from ever playing really dominating tennis against the other for long stretches of time. Buy it if you are collecting such matches, but don't expect great tennis.

There is nothing more beautiful than Evonne Goolagong in full flight moving across a tennis court.
alfajeffster is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 45,119
                     
Got a point alfa.....but Ive seen matches with more errors than they had during this matches being called classic. Anyone remembers IW03 Jen vs Lindsay.....plenty of errors, but it still was called a classic.

Always bet on black!
Can you handle the truth?
The truth:
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
22 majors:6376


Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Senior Member
 
alfajeffster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: United States of America
Posts: 9,216
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou
Got a point alfa.....but Ive seen matches with more errors than they had during this matches being called classic. Anyone remembers IW03 Jen vs Lindsay.....plenty of errors, but it still was called a classic.
Personally, I thought their French Final was better quality tennis. That Aussie Open final really stank, to tell you the truth. Not only was it full of errors, the quality of play, shotmaking, and serving was just terrible. The only good thing about the whole match was that when it was over I actually got to meet Margaret Court and talk to her for a few minutes, and then on the stairs outside the arena, Ilie Nastase was sitting there (he was there to support the Rumanian junior players, who did well in Oz that year), and nobody recognized him, and I just went up to him and said hello, and got a nice picture with him. IT WAS SO FRIGGIN HOT THAT DAY OUTSIDE- GLAD THE ROOF WAS CLOSED!

There is nothing more beautiful than Evonne Goolagong in full flight moving across a tennis court.
alfajeffster is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2004, 03:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 45,119
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster
Personally, I thought their French Final was better quality tennis. That Aussie Open final really stank, to tell you the truth. Not only was it full of errors, the quality of play, shotmaking, and serving was just terrible. The only good thing about the whole match was that when it was over I actually got to meet Margaret Court and talk to her for a few minutes, and then on the stairs outside the arena, Ilie Nastase was sitting there (he was there to support the Rumanian junior players, who did well in Oz that year), and nobody recognized him, and I just went up to him and said hello, and got a nice picture with him. IT WAS SO FRIGGIN HOT THAT DAY OUTSIDE- GLAD THE ROOF WAS CLOSED!
I see...

Always bet on black!
Can you handle the truth?
The truth:
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
22 majors:6376


Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Knizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 21,749
                     
I think the Aussie had some great rallies one of their best GS finals. Wimby 02 and 03 were good also. 03 had real potential to be the best if not for Venus' body wearing down.
Knizzle is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome