A Little Coaching For Baby Girl - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2004, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
alfajeffster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: United States of America
Posts: 9,216
                     
A Little Coaching For Baby Girl

Not that I think I'm capable of coaching you, but here's a hint (just in case Papa Williams was busy with his camera instead of scouting the opposition), Serena- watch a few tapes of Maria Sharapova's matches from this week, and even the Wimbledon final (if you can stand it), and notice how many times she hits the ball cross-court, on both the forehand and backhand side. It's almost above 90% of the time, regardless of where she is on the court. She very rarely hits the ball down the line on either the forehand or backhand side, and on that forehand buggy-whip cross-court, if you want to slice a few low to that side and keep it deep, you'll have a sitter forehand volley every time.

Okay, now I've gotten that out of my system. Hope it's a good match tonight!

There is nothing more beautiful than Evonne Goolagong in full flight moving across a tennis court.
alfajeffster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2004, 01:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 45,276
                     
Interesting.....good analysis alfa. You pointed it out very well...Maria is a tall girl, so it´d be wise of Serena to keep the ball low and make Maria bend.....Serena´s slice is getting better and better and in fact she even was going slice battles with Momo.

Good luck babygirl...win this YEC and I guarantee you that NOBODY would want you on their half of the draw in Melbourne.

Always bet on black!
Can you handle the truth?
The truth:
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
22 majors:6376


Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline  
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2004, 01:47 PM
Snitch
 
Cam'ron Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Juelz Santana's bed
Posts: 16,096
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster
Not that I think I'm capable of coaching you, but here's a hint (just in case Papa Williams was busy with his camera instead of scouting the opposition), Serena- watch a few tapes of Maria Sharapova's matches from this week, and even the Wimbledon final (if you can stand it), and notice how many times she hits the ball cross-court, on both the forehand and backhand side. It's almost above 90% of the time, regardless of where she is on the court. She very rarely hits the ball down the line on either the forehand or backhand side, and on that forehand buggy-whip cross-court, if you want to slice a few low to that side and keep it deep, you'll have a sitter forehand volley every time.

Okay, now I've gotten that out of my system. Hope it's a good match tonight!
One sec, let me wake her and have her read this...We'll send you a t-shirt or something...BRB...

Official Gangsta rappa of the Royal Court

Will you be there?
Cam'ron Giles is offline  
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2004, 06:51 PM
pav
Senior Member
 
pav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: new zealand
Posts: 9,642
                     
Please love Her or not ,You can't call Someone Who looks like as, One poster said, a Football player in a Tutu (I didn't say it ,too scared!) baby Girl !
pav is offline  
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Senior Member
 
volta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Porto
Posts: 12,977
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou
Interesting.....good analysis alfa. You pointed it out very well...Maria is a tall girl, so it´d be wise of Serena to keep the ball low and make Maria bend.....Serena´s slice is getting better and better and in fact she even was going slice battles with Momo.

Good luck babygirl...win this YEC and I guarantee you that NOBODY would want you on their half of the draw in Melbourne.
once again AMEN to that

IMO if Serena wins the YEC she will have the "fear aura" back on force

Dominika Cibulkova
volta is offline  
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Zhao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 19,428
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam'ron Giles
One sec, let me wake her and have her read this...We'll send you a t-shirt or something...BRB...
Zhao is offline  
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2004, 12:30 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,716
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster
Not that I think I'm capable of coaching you, but here's a hint (just in case Papa Williams was busy with his camera instead of scouting the opposition), Serena- watch a few tapes of Maria Sharapova's matches from this week, and even the Wimbledon final (if you can stand it), and notice how many times she hits the ball cross-court, on both the forehand and backhand side. It's almost above 90% of the time, regardless of where she is on the court. She very rarely hits the ball down the line on either the forehand or backhand side, and on that forehand buggy-whip cross-court, if you want to slice a few low to that side and keep it deep, you'll have a sitter forehand volley every time.

Okay, now I've gotten that out of my system. Hope it's a good match tonight!
And, what is the percentage of Serena's shots that go crosscourt or land not far right or far left of the center of the court? If it is not as high as 90%, it has to be in the 70 to 80% range at least? Point being, neither lady in their current form moves the ball around with much consistency.

As to what Serena is supposed to do about it, your proposed tactical response raises more questions than it answers. For Serena to end up in the best position to hit that forehand volley off a backhand or forehand hit crosscourt, she would have to slice the ball down the line off her backhand or forehand. Good luck! She can hardly slice the ball crosscourt with any depth, sting, or consistency. And, that is just on the backhand side. Can she even hit a sliced forehand?

Or, were you thinking that she could slice the ball crosscourt off her backhand side to Maria's backhand in order to get into position? Frankly, that doesn't make things any easier for her. You see, I've also been looking out for patterns. And, here is one that I noted in Serena's match against Lindsay. Serena is having trouble closing the angle when she approaches crosscourt. She's just not that fast or agile. You are, of course, proposing that she do so anyway because Maria will just hit the ball back to her as she approaches the net diagonally. But, here is the catch as Lindsay demonstrated quite well. If you hit a shallow crosscourt shot into the open court in front of Serena as she closes diagonally, she just doesn't have the technique or agility to execute the forehand volley. Point goes to Maria.

As to the condition of Serena's backhand slice, I will acknowledge only that she doesn't look as silly as she once did attempting the shot. That may be an effect of kneeling down for the shot and of staying in that position until she's finished her follow through. But for all those minor improvements, she is still not using her shoulder to hit the shot. There is absolutely no lean to her body when hitting the shot. It is still all arm. Not surprisingly, Serena's slice floats across the net. And, when it bounces, it hardly bites. Less clownish, yes. Better overall, hardly.
LDVTennis is offline  
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2004, 02:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 3,087
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDVTennis
And, what is the percentage of Serena's shots that go crosscourt or land not far right or far left of the center of the court? If it is not as high as 90%, it has to be in the 70 to 80% range at least? Point being, neither lady in their current form moves the ball around with much consistency.

As to what Serena is supposed to do about it, your proposed tactical response raises more questions than it answers. For Serena to end up in the best position to hit that forehand volley off a backhand or forehand hit crosscourt, she would have to slice the ball down the line off her backhand or forehand. Good luck! She can hardly slice the ball crosscourt with any depth, sting, or consistency. And, that is just on the backhand side. Can she even hit a sliced forehand?

Or, were you thinking that she could slice the ball crosscourt off her backhand side to Maria's backhand in order to get into position? Frankly, that doesn't make things any easier for her. You see, I've also been looking out for patterns. And, here is one that I noted in Serena's match against Lindsay. Serena is having trouble closing the angle when she approaches crosscourt. She's just not that fast or agile. You are, of course, proposing that she do so anyway because Maria will just hit the ball back to her as she approaches the net diagonally. But, here is the catch as Lindsay demonstrated quite well. If you hit a shallow crosscourt shot into the open court in front of Serena as she closes diagonally, she just doesn't have the technique or agility to execute the forehand volley. Point goes to Maria.

As to the condition of Serena's backhand slice, I will acknowledge only that she doesn't look as silly as she once did attempting the shot. That may be an effect of kneeling down for the shot and of staying in that position until she's finished her follow through. But for all those minor improvements, she is still not using her shoulder to hit the shot. There is absolutely no lean to her body when hitting the shot. It is still all arm. Not surprisingly, Serena's slice floats across the net. And, when it bounces, it hardly bites. Less clownish, yes. Better overall, hardly.
Why don't you just watch old tapes of Steffi, you'd be a much happier person and more pleasant to be around.
DeDe4925 is offline  
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2004, 02:24 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 45,276
                     
Is there ANY aspect of Serena´s game that you think is good, ldv?

Always bet on black!
Can you handle the truth?
The truth:
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
22 majors:6376


Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline  
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2004, 02:32 AM
Senior Member
 
tennischick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: cerca de aquí
Posts: 5,730
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDVTennis
And, what is the percentage of Serena's shots that go crosscourt or land not far right or far left of the center of the court? If it is not as high as 90%, it has to be in the 70 to 80% range at least? Point being, neither lady in their current form moves the ball around with much consistency.

As to what Serena is supposed to do about it, your proposed tactical response raises more questions than it answers. For Serena to end up in the best position to hit that forehand volley off a backhand or forehand hit crosscourt, she would have to slice the ball down the line off her backhand or forehand. Good luck! She can hardly slice the ball crosscourt with any depth, sting, or consistency. And, that is just on the backhand side. Can she even hit a sliced forehand?

Or, were you thinking that she could slice the ball crosscourt off her backhand side to Maria's backhand in order to get into position? Frankly, that doesn't make things any easier for her. You see, I've also been looking out for patterns. And, here is one that I noted in Serena's match against Lindsay. Serena is having trouble closing the angle when she approaches crosscourt. She's just not that fast or agile. You are, of course, proposing that she do so anyway because Maria will just hit the ball back to her as she approaches the net diagonally. But, here is the catch as Lindsay demonstrated quite well. If you hit a shallow crosscourt shot into the open court in front of Serena as she closes diagonally, she just doesn't have the technique or agility to execute the forehand volley. Point goes to Maria.

As to the condition of Serena's backhand slice, I will acknowledge only that she doesn't look as silly as she once did attempting the shot. That may be an effect of kneeling down for the shot and of staying in that position until she's finished her follow through. But for all those minor improvements, she is still not using her shoulder to hit the shot. There is absolutely no lean to her body when hitting the shot. It is still all arm. Not surprisingly, Serena's slice floats across the net. And, when it bounces, it hardly bites. Less clownish, yes. Better overall, hardly.
the problem for me is that both Maria and Serena seem bizarrely to have the same strengths as well as weaknesses. i dunno when this cloning happened but a lot of the recommendations for Serena can be just as effective for Maria and vice versa.

"For now, Roddick seems to play with the intelligence of a fence post."
Greg Couch, Chicago Sun Times
tennischick is offline  
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2004, 02:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 3,087
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou
Is there ANY aspect of Serena´s game that you think is good, ldv?
The answer is obvious bandabou, no. Her name is not Steffi Graf.
DeDe4925 is offline  
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2004, 02:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 45,276
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDe4925
The answer is obvious bandabou, no. Her name is not Steffi Graf.
Hey....worth a try.

Always bet on black!
Can you handle the truth?
The truth:
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
22 majors:6376


Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline  
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2004, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
alfajeffster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: United States of America
Posts: 9,216
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennischick
the problem for me is that both Maria and Serena seem bizarrely to have the same strengths as well as weaknesses. i dunno when this cloning happened but a lot of the recommendations for Serena can be just as effective for Maria and vice versa.
I'll tell you when and where this cloning happened- in their formative years in the State of Florida, under the tutilage of any number of coaches who have brought the game to where it is today. Did you watch that final last night- BORING TENNIS- no creativity save for two or three spectacular (and all cross-court, I might add) points. It was nice to see Serena gamely fighting until the end without the benefit of her serve, and actually getting pretty deep into the third set until Sharapova stopped pouting and started realizing that she actually had to WIN the match. GOD- I WISH I WOULD HAVE BEEN OUT THERE IN A MINI-SKIRT WITH SOMEONE TELEGRAPHING TO ME THAT ALL I HAVE TO DO IS BE CONSISTENT WITH MY RETURN OF SERVICE AND THERE ARE 5 STRAIGHT GAMES AND A CHAMPIONSHIP FOR THE TAKING!!!! ARGH!!!!

There is nothing more beautiful than Evonne Goolagong in full flight moving across a tennis court.
alfajeffster is offline  
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,716
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster
I'll tell you when and where this cloning happened- in their formative years in the State of Florida, under the tutilage of any number of coaches who have brought the game to where it is today. Did you watch that final last night- BORING TENNIS- no creativity save for two or three spectacular (and all cross-court, I might add) points. It was nice to see Serena gamely fighting until the end without the benefit of her serve, and actually getting pretty deep into the third set until Sharapova stopped pouting and started realizing that she actually had to WIN the match. GOD- I WISH I WOULD HAVE BEEN OUT THERE IN A MINI-SKIRT WITH SOMEONE TELEGRAPHING TO ME THAT ALL I HAVE TO DO IS BE CONSISTENT WITH MY RETURN OF SERVICE AND THERE ARE 5 STRAIGHT GAMES AND A CHAMPIONSHIP FOR THE TAKING!!!! ARGH!!!!
Last night, Serena's best play against Maria was to hit the ball crosscourt out wide. If Maria got the ball back, the play was to hit the ball into the open court for a winner.

Maria's best play was to hit the ball down the line with her forehand or backhand. If Serena got the ball back, I don't really think Maria had a consisistent response. Sometimes, she found a way to put the short ball away. Sometimes she just hit it back to Serena to restart the point.

One shot neither player attempted last night, a drop shot. It could have worked for either player after a deep shot to their opponent's backhand side. Ahh, but here is the catch. It needed to be a dropshot down the line. I don't think either of them has the technique or control to hit that shot.

Serena gets honorable mention for hitting what turned out in effect to be a dropshot somewhere during the first set. But, from the motion of her stroke, I think it was supposed to be a sliced backhand. She simply couldn't control the ball at point of contact and it popped up.

Most annoying shot to see both of them hit - the forehand. Some premliminary impressions. When Serena tries to hit a topspin forehand, Serena brushes up the back of the ball too much and her swing loses all of its forward momentum. Effect, the ball goes into the net. She's better off just going for broke and hitting it as flat and as hard as she can, preferably crosscourt. As to Maria, she also has no feel on the shot. Like Serena, she loses the ball on the face of her racquet from time to time. Whereas Serena ends up muscling it into the net when that happens, Maria ends up letting the ball spin off her racquet face. When Maria does manage to connect with the ball, her forearm takes quite a shock, really painful to watch.
LDVTennis is offline  
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 45,276
                     
Agreed on that forehand part....I think Serena should just revert to hit it like she did in ´99: flat and hard....

Always bet on black!
Can you handle the truth?
The truth:
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
22 majors:6376


Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome