Flashback : 1999 Top 20 Year End Junior Rankings - 5 years on, where are they now?
I saw a thread on MensTennisForums about this. Roger Federer was number 1. Here are the top 20 Juniors at year end 1999. Most we know, but where are the rest? It just shows a junior top 20 is one thing but making it in the seniors is a big step.
1. Lina Krasnoroutskaya, Russia Injuries holding her back
2. Daniela Bedanova, Czech Rep Did well, but slumped majorly
3. Virginie Razzano, France Dropped out of top 100, but climbing back up
4. Aniko Kapros, Hungary Steadily climbing
5. Maria Emilia Salerni, Argentina Disappeared? Anyone know what Pitu is doing now?
6. Iroda Tulyaganova, Uzbekistan Injuries taking her out of the game for over a year. Any comeback talk?
7. Eleni Danilidou, Greece Consistent top 30, but no major breakthrough
8. Katarina Basternakova, Slovakia Who? Any news post 1999?
9. Lenka Dlhopolcova, Slovakia Again, what happened after 1999?
10. Ivana Abramovic, Croatia Top 10 junior, but no major senior success. Where is she now?
11. Lubormira Kurhajcova, Slovakia Top 100
12. Scarlett Werner, Germany Anything??
13. Ansley Cargill, USA Made top 100
14. Laura Granville, USA Made top 30, slumping this year
15. Hannah Collin, Great Britain She has really struggled in seniors. Playing British Futures this week
16. Gisela Dulko, Argentina In contrast, Dulko is in Bali QFs. Good 2004.
17. Michelle Gerards, Netherlands What is she doing now?
18. Melissa Dowse, Australia Anything?
19. Natalie Grandin, South Africa ????
20. Monique Adamczak, Austria Any news
A few top 20's in the seniors game but that's all. Dulko is looking good for the future. Lina K as well if she gets fit again. Anyone know what the less known girls are doing now?
1. Daniela Bedanova, Czech Rep
2. Virginie Razzano, France
3. Flavia Penneta, Italy Flavia is doing well this year, won her first title
4. Maria Emilia Salerni, Argentina
5. Roberta Vinci, Italy Plays a lot of Challengers, good doubles player
6. Aniko Kapros, Hungary
7. Iroda Tulyaganova, Uzbekistan
8. Erica Krauth, Argentina Any news?
9. Katarina Basternakova, Slovakia Top 10 singles and doubles, but where is she now?
10. Natalie Grandin, South Africa
11. Sarah Stone, Australia ???
12. Aniela Mojzis, South Africa 2 South Africans in top 20 but now Amanda Coetzer has gone neither have filled the gap
13. Ansley Cargill, USA
14. Martina Babakova, Slovakia Recognise the name, any news?
15. Galina Fokina, Russia The Russians are all over the top 100, but where did Galina go?
16. Gisela Dulko, Argentina
17. Laura Granville, USA
18. Lubomira Kurhajcova, Slovakia
19. Lina Krasnoroutskaya, Russia
20. Eva Birnerova, Czech Rep
None of these juniors have really made it in the big time yet, so who do you think is most likely to break top 10 one day or have they already missed the boat 5 years after their juniors success?
Last edited by raquel; Sep 16th, 2004 at 04:11 PM.