The 20 Greatest *Active Singles* Players on the WTA Tour - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
 53Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 1709 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2005, 03:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,704
                     
I don't totally agree with the order

(1) I definitely think Conchita is more accomplished than Maria

(2) I think (but not adamant) that Kim is now more accomplished than Mary.
Robbie. is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 1709 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2005, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 21,823
                     
Note: It's really hard to compare some people, so I'm trying to list by slam count and then break ties with GS doubles and mixed wins... However, where do I put someone like Alex Stevenson who was such a fluke SF?

BARBIE
is coming for your towel, too.



Keys
MakarovaBeguKasatkinaGavrilovaBarthelAllertovaPutintsevaKrisPliskovaKhromacheva
SmitkovaTownsendAbandaPuchkova

Tennis Fool is offline  
post #63 of 1709 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2005, 03:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,704
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis Fool
Note: It's really hard to compare some people, so I'm trying to list by slam count and then break ties with GS doubles and mixed wins... However, where do I put someone like Alex Stevenson who was such a fluke SF?
Oh, I understand. I'm one of those freaks who doesnt think number of GS is the be all and end all though

Just out of interest, how'd you figure Maria over Conchita?
Robbie. is offline  
post #64 of 1709 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2005, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 21,823
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie.
Oh, I understand. I'm one of those freaks who doesnt think number of GS is the be all and end all though

Just out of interest, how'd you figure Maria over Conchita?
Maria got to #1, something Conchita never did. This tells that, although Conchita has more titles, they are more Tier III and IV variety, and or Conchita never figured out Steffi Graf...

BARBIE
is coming for your towel, too.



Keys
MakarovaBeguKasatkinaGavrilovaBarthelAllertovaPutintsevaKrisPliskovaKhromacheva
SmitkovaTownsendAbandaPuchkova

Tennis Fool is offline  
post #65 of 1709 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2005, 04:02 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,704
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis Fool
Maria got to #1, something Conchita never did. This tells that, although Conchita has more titles, they are more Tier III and IV variety, and or Conchita never figured out Steffi Graf...
I think it tells that Conchita had the misfortune of peaking at the same time as Graf.

When you look at Conchita's 1995 it is every bit as good if not better than Maria's 2005 so far. But Conchita never got to number one because Graf won three slams that year.

They both suprisingly won Wimbledon the year before their best year.

Conchita does have nine tier 1 titles to go with her GS (maria has one although also a YEC), has two additional slam finals which Maria doesn't have and nine year's in the top ten between 1989-2000 and 5 years in the top 5. She also has overall more than 20 titles more than Maria. And before we get into picking out Conchita's lower tier titles, you have to remember that Maria only has 4 titles that are Tier II or above in her whole carrer.

#1 is important but it is also circumstantial; I think Conchita has it over Maria at this stage.
Robbie. is offline  
post #66 of 1709 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2005, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 21,823
                     
Some updates as we approach the end of the 2005 season. The biggest, IMHO, is Nadia not having a bagel next to her number of titles.

Questions:
1. Do you think Nadia will win a Slam next year?
2. Will Patty ever pass her high rank of #8?
3. Who do you think will regain their spots in the Top 10?
4. Who will never see the top 10 again?

BARBIE
is coming for your towel, too.



Keys
MakarovaBeguKasatkinaGavrilovaBarthelAllertovaPutintsevaKrisPliskovaKhromacheva
SmitkovaTownsendAbandaPuchkova

Tennis Fool is offline  
post #67 of 1709 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2006, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 21,823
                     
Hingis back on the list at No. 2 and Amelie leapfrogs to No. 8.

BARBIE
is coming for your towel, too.



Keys
MakarovaBeguKasatkinaGavrilovaBarthelAllertovaPutintsevaKrisPliskovaKhromacheva
SmitkovaTownsendAbandaPuchkova

Tennis Fool is offline  
post #68 of 1709 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Senior Member
 
bellascarlett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 9,129
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis Fool
Hingis back on the list at No. 2 and Amelie leapfrogs to No. 8.
Where was Amelie b4? Great list though. Thanks.

Maria Sharapova
bellascarlett is offline  
post #69 of 1709 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Senior Member
 
hablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: canada
Posts: 50,079
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis Fool
Hingis back on the list at No. 2 and Amelie leapfrogs to No. 8.
Momo is no longer the best (active) player to have never won a slam!!

Quote:
19. In the period from January to April 2006 Dr. Skalny sent very detailed messages to Ms Sharapova [...]: “Mildronate 1-2 X 10, repeat in 2 wks (before training or competition)”; “1 hr before competition, 2 pills of Mildronate”; “During games of special importance, you can increase your Mildronate dose to 3-4 pills (1 hr before the match). However, it is necessary to consult me on all these matters (please call)”; “30 minutes prior to a training session: Mildronat – 1 Capsule. 30-45 minutes prior to a tournament Mildronat 2 capsules”.
hablo is offline  
post #70 of 1709 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2006, 09:09 AM
Senior Member
 
hablo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: canada
Posts: 50,079
                     
I'm pretty sure that Mauresmo has 20 singles titles though

Quote:
19. In the period from January to April 2006 Dr. Skalny sent very detailed messages to Ms Sharapova [...]: “Mildronate 1-2 X 10, repeat in 2 wks (before training or competition)”; “1 hr before competition, 2 pills of Mildronate”; “During games of special importance, you can increase your Mildronate dose to 3-4 pills (1 hr before the match). However, it is necessary to consult me on all these matters (please call)”; “30 minutes prior to a training session: Mildronat – 1 Capsule. 30-45 minutes prior to a tournament Mildronat 2 capsules”.
hablo is offline  
post #71 of 1709 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2006, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 21,823
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellascarlett
Where was Amelie b4? Great list though. Thanks.
No. 10.

BARBIE
is coming for your towel, too.



Keys
MakarovaBeguKasatkinaGavrilovaBarthelAllertovaPutintsevaKrisPliskovaKhromacheva
SmitkovaTownsendAbandaPuchkova

Tennis Fool is offline  
post #72 of 1709 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2006, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 21,823
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by hablovah
I'm pretty sure that Mauresmo has 20 singles titles though
correction made.

BARBIE
is coming for your towel, too.



Keys
MakarovaBeguKasatkinaGavrilovaBarthelAllertovaPutintsevaKrisPliskovaKhromacheva
SmitkovaTownsendAbandaPuchkova

Tennis Fool is offline  
post #73 of 1709 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Sir Stefwhit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 5,936
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis Fool
Updated 1/29/06...

Top 20 Active Players

And the Most Accomplished is

1. Serena Williams 24
7 Slams, 6 GS Doubles, 2 GS Mixed, 1 Olympic Doubles Gold Medal, 19 other singles, 57 weeks at No. 1. YE No. 1 player: 2002.

The Best of the Rest

2. Martina Hingis 25
5 Slams, 9 GS Doubles, 35 other singles, 209 weeks at No. 1. YE No. 1 player: 1997, 1999, 2000.

3. Venus Williams 25
5 Slams, 6 GS Doubles, 2 GS Mixed, 1 Olympic Gold, 1 Olympic Doubles Gold, 28 other titles, 11 weeks at No. 1.

4. Justine Henin-Hardenne 23
4 Slams, 1 Olympic Gold Medal, 19 other singles, 2 Doubles, 45 weeks at No. 1. YE No. 1: 2003.

5. Lindsay Davenport 29
3 Slams, 3 Slam Doubles, 1 Olympic Gold Medal, 48 other singles, 31 Doubles, 98 weeks at No. 1. YE No. 1 player: 1998, 2001, 2004, 2005.

6. Mary Pierce 30
2 Slams, 1 GS Doubles, 1GS Mixed, 16 other singles, 9 other doubles, HR No. 3

7. Kim Clijsters 22
1 Slam, 2 GS Doubles, 29 other Singles, 11 Doubles, high rank #1 for 12 weeks

8. 9. Amelie Mauresmo 26
1 Slam, Olympic Silver Medal, 19 other Singles, 1 Doubles, high rank: #1 for 7 weeks.

9. Maria Sharapova 18
1 Slam, 9 other singles, 3 Doubles, HR No. 1, 7 weeks

10. Conchita Martinez
1 Slam, 33 other singles, 12 doubles, HR No. 2

11. Anastasia Myskina
1 Slam, 9 other singles, 2 Doubles, high rank #2

12. Svetlana Kuznetsova 20
1 Slam, 1 Slam Doubles, 4 other singles, 11 other doubles, HR#4

13. Elena Dementieva
2 GS Finals, 1 Olympic Silver Medal, 3 Singles, 5 Doubles, high rank:#4

14. Nadia Petrova 23
2 GS Semis, 1 GS Doubles, 1 Single, 10 other doubles, hr. #6

15. Paola Suarez
1 GS Semi, 7 GS Doubles, 4 Singles, 33 other doubles, hr #9

16. Chanda Rubin
1 GS Semi, 1 GS Doubles, 7 Singles, 9 other Doubles, high rank #6

17. Jelena Dokic 22
1 GS Semi, 5 Singles, 4 Doubles, hr #4

18. Patty Schnyder
1 GS Semi, 10 Singles, 4 Doubles, high rank #7

19. Elena Likhovsetva 30
1 GS Semi, 2 GS Doubles Finals, 3 singles, 23 Doubles, hr. #15

20. Daniela Hantuchova 22
3 GS Qtrs, 4 GS Mixed Doubles, 1 title, 5 Doubles, hr. #5
Cool list. I can see the time and effort that was put in compiling it- good job. Obviously the slams are weighted more heavily, as they should be. I also like that you differentiate between reaching number one (weeks there,) and ending the year at number one. These kinds of lists can be tricky especially when players are similar in achievements. You have to make a judgement call as to the weight of each accomplishment. Looks as though you used the most important criteria and weighted things the most logical way- or at least the way I would have.

The only other thing I think I might have added would be the 'Career Grand Slam". I think a player that has won 4 slams, winning all 4 once, has accomplished more than a player that has won 5 slams but is missing one. That's kind of a mute point right now since Serena is the only player to have accomplished this. But I think the race for number two is close and a career grand slam by Justine, Hingis, Lindsay, or Venus would make things really interesting. There's something to be said about winning all four majors, that's something even the great and wonderful Federer has yet to do.

STEFWHIT'S HALL OF FAME
Greatest Singles Player of All Time: Steffi Graf
Simply the BEST: Serena Williams [Proud MEMBER OF RENA'S ARMY]
The REAL GOAT Rafael Nadal
Future Inductees: Clijsters, C.Evert, A.Agassi, A.Berasategui, N. Zvereva, I.Majoli, M.Safin, Li Na, VIKA, and Del Potro
Sir Stefwhit is offline  
post #74 of 1709 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Senior Member
 
spiceboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 51,089
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie.
I think it tells that Conchita had the misfortune of peaking at the same time as Graf.

When you look at Conchita's 1995 it is every bit as good if not better than Maria's 2005 so far. But Conchita never got to number one because Graf won three slams that year.

They both suprisingly won Wimbledon the year before their best year.

Conchita does have nine tier 1 titles to go with her GS (maria has one although also a YEC), has two additional slam finals which Maria doesn't have and nine year's in the top ten between 1989-2000 and 5 years in the top 5. She also has overall more than 20 titles more than Maria. And before we get into picking out Conchita's lower tier titles, you have to remember that Maria only has 4 titles that are Tier II or above in her whole carrer.

#1 is important but it is also circumstantial; I think Conchita has it over Maria at this stage.
Great post

What a joke of a list...Amélie & Maria ranked ahead of Conchita?

But I, being poor, have only my dreams
I have spread my dreams under your feet
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams
spiceboy is offline  
post #75 of 1709 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Senior Member
 
KimC&MariaSNo1's's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wherever Life Takes Me
Posts: 10,352
                     
Amelie was #1 for only 5 weeks not 7 weeks.
KimC&MariaSNo1's is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome