Unfortunately, matches has always been affected by very bad calls... - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2004, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East Coast, USA
Posts: 94
                     
Unfortunately, matches has always been affected by very bad calls...

It happened before, its still happening now, and it will happen again.
So are just supposed to move on or do something about it?

It takes out the fun and fairness in the sports....

Last edited by jt2002; Sep 8th, 2004 at 02:19 AM.
jt2002 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2004, 03:54 AM
Senior Member
 
SelesFan70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 11,028
                     
Does anyone remember when Chris Evert was ROBBED in the Wimbledon semi-finals against Navratilova in 1988? Evert hit a backhand cross-court passing shot at 30-40 down while she served. It clipped the tape and landed on the line, but the linesman called it out and of course Martina, as always, was all too willing to win at any cost so she didn't say anything other than to say later that "no chalk flew up, so it's just sour grapes" Of course, Ms. Evert handled herself with class just as Venus and Serena did.

Tammy Bruce RightSideOfTheRainbow

Liberals: Hard on the unborn, soft on terrorists

Man-made climate change is a LIE

COUNTDOWN!
SelesFan70 is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2004, 03:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Berlin_Calling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Monaco
Posts: 6,966
                     
LOL @ Martina

azarenka - pavlyuchenkova - li - jankovic
garcia - bencic - paszek - rus - kanepi - kuznetsova - stephens
bouchard - karatantcheva - larcher de brito - voegele - lim - mladenovic

mary pierce - forever #1
vaidisova - kournikova - golovin - henin
the boys - federer - gasquet - del potro - haase - nishikori
Berlin_Calling is offline  
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2004, 04:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 4,096
                     
AO 04? We thought kim was coming back until that one bad call from the umpire if I recall - that was a GS final. Not to mention FO 99 when the ball was clearly in........
fammmmedspin is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2004, 01:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,315
                     
Monica might have won the 95 US Open but for one call.

You have to answer for Santino, Carlo.
disposablehero is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2004, 01:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 25,764
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposablehero
Monica might have won the 95 US Open but for one call.
Yep. The result would have been 7-6 6-0.
GoDominique is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2004, 01:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 25,764
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanTaureau Fan
Graf had a bit of a let down during the second set and right from the beginning of the third set, she lifted her game.

If Graf would have lost the first set, my guess is that she would have stayed more focus and the result could have been totally different in the second set.

But who knows. Seles serve was very very close, it was hard to say 100% sure if it was in or out. Gotta give credit to Graf to hit a winner on Seles second serve to save that set point.
Well you should know that I applied the logic which is most commonly used on the board: If you change a certain situation in a match (like Monica's serve being called good), everything that's following it stays the same.
GoDominique is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2004, 01:25 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 323
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanTaureau Fan
Graf had a bit of a let down during the second set and right from the beginning of the third set, she lifted her game.

If Graf would have lost the first set, my guess is that she would have stayed more focus and the result could have been totally different in the second set.

But who knows. Seles serve was very very close, it was hard to say 100% sure if it was in or out. Gotta give credit to Graf to hit a winner on Seles second serve to save that set point.
Exactly Monica was sooo pissed . She would have bagelled ANYONE at that time. Same thing happened against ASV at the RG 1998 in the second set
tennisfan22 is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2004, 01:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 25,764
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanTaureau Fan
Does GoDominique ever post these days. It's always either Lizchris, sarcarm or the opinion of the majority of posters.
Maybe it's getting a bit too much.

And some weird things happen - I post a troll thread about the umpire being banned, and then it turns out to be true.
GoDominique is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2004, 01:37 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brasschaat
Posts: 1,471
                     
Matches get affected by bad calls because humans are judging it. And human make mistakes !

HOWEVER WE MAY NEVER FORGET THAT MOST OF THE LINESMEN AND CHAIRMAN ARE DOING THIS AS A VOLUNTEER OUT OF LOVE FOR THEIR SPORT, WE SHOULD BE GRATEFUL THAT PEOPLE ARE WILLING TO BE A LINESMAN !

I'm sure that the mistakes that are unfortunately made were human errors and not on purpose.

And let's thin a moment about this : THERE ARE A HUGE AMOUNT OF TENNISMATCHES EVERY YEAR. HOW MANY MATCHES ARE NOT AFFECTED BY MISTAKES ? The problem is that every time a call mistake is made, people blow it up and the people who made a human fault are attacked for just beiing human...
William Hunt is offline  
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2004, 01:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,315
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDominique
Well you should know that I applied the logic which is most commonly used on the board: If you change a certain situation in a match (like Monica's serve being called good), everything that's following it stays the same.
Give Steffi 2 extra holds and its still 4-2. Lose a set with a bagel and it would take a pretty radical change of form to actually win that set.

You have to answer for Santino, Carlo.
disposablehero is offline  
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2004, 02:05 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 25,764
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposablehero
Give Steffi 2 extra holds and its still 4-2. Lose a set with a bagel and it would take a pretty radical change of form to actually win that set.
But you are still implying that Monica would have been the BETTER player in the 2nd set no matter who had won the 1st. I disagree with that.
After winning the first set, Steffi can afford a slow start in the 2nd. And she can afford to let the set go after going down 0-4.
I'm not saying Steffi tanked the 2nd set altogether.
But if Monica had won the 1st set, the roles might have been totally reversed, meaning that Steffi might have won the 2nd.
Unless you think that Monica was clearly the better player on that day.
GoDominique is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2004, 02:22 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 18
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hunt
Matches get affected by bad calls because humans are judging it. And human make mistakes !
How many calls would it take to become more than just "human error"? 2 calls? 4 calls? 10 calls? Would it ever get to that level?

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hunt
HOWEVER WE MAY NEVER FORGET THAT MOST OF THE LINESMEN AND CHAIRMAN ARE DOING THIS AS A VOLUNTEER OUT OF LOVE FOR THEIR SPORT, WE SHOULD BE GRATEFUL THAT PEOPLE ARE WILLING TO BE A LINESMAN !
Should we accept incompetent judges? Are there a dearth of good umpires? I know there isn't because my father was an umpire. Why should we tolerate incompetent judges when there are so many who want to be a linesman at the US Open?

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hunt
I'm sure that the mistakes that are unfortunately made were human errors and not on purpose.

And let's thin a moment about this : THERE ARE A HUGE AMOUNT OF TENNISMATCHES EVERY YEAR. HOW MANY MATCHES ARE NOT AFFECTED BY MISTAKES ? The problem is that every time a call mistake is made, people blow it up and the people who made a human fault are attacked for just beiing human...
I'm not quite sure how you're so confident that bias had nothing to do with it. The fact is there were at least 3 bad calls in the last game alone. I might be able to dismiss one bad call to "human error." BTW, your argument for "being human" can pretty much be used as an excuse for any situation.

A simple solution to this problem is instant replay. It would remove any chance of bias affecting the flow of the game.
arunsjunk is offline  
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2004, 02:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 4,096
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunsjunk
How many calls would it take to become more than just "human error"? 2 calls? 4 calls? 10 calls? Would it ever get to that level?



Should we accept incompetent judges? Are there a dearth of good umpires? I know there isn't because my father was an umpire. Why should we tolerate incompetent judges when there are so many who want to be a linesman at the US Open?



I'm not quite sure how you're so confident that bias had nothing to do with it. The fact is there were at least 3 bad calls in the last game alone. I might be able to dismiss one bad call to "human error." BTW, your argument for "being human" can pretty much be used as an excuse for any situation.

A simple solution to this problem is instant replay. It would remove any chance of bias affecting the flow of the game.
Except you can't do it without affecting the flow of the game, If its not a player who decides what should be looked at - you can't review every point - the match would be twice as long. Player A asks for replay. Umpire is given replay - presumably in real or slow time which takes time to prepoare and show. Do the players get to look too ? Decision made and players prepare for next point. Problem is by then they could have been several points down the game or even in a new game or sitting down in their chair. Then imagine what happens if Serena interrupts the last game to ask for 4 replays as Jen serves it out - you would never hear the end of it - gamesmanship, only did it to disrupt Jen or recover her strength or concentration ..... .
fammmmedspin is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2004, 02:44 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 18
                     
Quote:
Except you can't do it without affecting the flow of the game, Player A asks for replay. Umpire is given replay - presumably in real or slow time which takes time to prepoare and show. Do the players get to look too? Decision made and players prepare for next point. Problem is by then they could have been several points down the game or even in a new game or sitting down in their chair. Then imagine what happens if Serena interrupts the last game to ask for 4 replays as Jen serves it out - you would never hear the end of it.
This will be all done in real-time. Have another umpire looking only at the instant replay. Have a red light/green light to reflect the decision. Doesn't need to take too long. Hopefully, this doesn't need to be done too many times. This should only happen if the external umpire thinks it's a close call [or have a penalty system for challenges]. No players are involved, and the result must be accepted immediately without further argument.
arunsjunk is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome