Originally Posted by mboyle
The Navratilova vs. Graf match was a popularity contest. It is PREPOSTEROUS and merely false for anyone to say that Steffi was a better singles champion, let alone tennis champion, than Martina Navratilova. Martina had a rival people. Steffi won 8 slams that she likely wouldn't have won if her only rival had not been stabbed by some deranged psycopath. Martina played her prime against Chris Evert, clearly one of the game's greats. Even when Martina was dominating their rivalry and women's tennis in general, Chris won at least one slam every single year. Steffi never had anyone like that to challenge her other than Seles, and when the 16 year old Monica whalloped Graf twice in a row in 1990, Graf went into a shell and didn't really emerge until 1993. Even then, Monica won in three sets down under, when Steffi was at a peak that would see her capture the next four slams.
Otherwise, Serena really should have won this tournament. Serena of 02 would have beaten any man outside the top 100. Chris Evert would have proven no more challenge than Nancy Loefler Caro or Eva Bes (one of the bagel girls.) Steffi and Martina might have pushed Serena to three sets, but Serena, as much as y'all might hate her (and this really was no more than a popularity contest in the end, unfortunately,) is clearly the greatest female tennis player, in terms of ability, in the history, however brief, of the sport.
I can't resist answering these posts, even though I'm sure u derive some perverse pleasure from feeling u have an audience. Let's see....
1. If the poll HAD been a popularity contest, what does that say about the popularity of ur big fav? (My fav still won!!) Ever wondered why?
2. Demonstrate the extraordinary statistics u have at ur disposal which prove that serena was "clearly the greatest female tennis player". Can't do it, huh? I can, and have, for steffi.
3. U disparage chris evert, one of the game's greatest and longest-serving ambassadors, by suggesting she'd be no more than canon fodder for serena. Just a reminder to you - chris was taught immaculate groundstrokes, possessed uncanny patience and consistency and 37 times beat the only player you feel would have given serena a challenge. when serena has developed consistency, patience and learned how to hit shots without spraying them embarrassingly low into the net or far beyond the baseline in a 10 stroke rally, come back to me.
4. what is it with u seles lovers and ur poor spelling? am i going to have to run a masterclass for u? believe me, it adds weight to ur posts (and boy do urs need it!) if things are just correctly spelled!! words like PSYCHOPATH
- it's just careless and u really should do anything u can to improve it. Mind u, u can't even spell MASSACHUSSETTS correctly in ur location signature
, so why should i expect anything better! Look at it a little like serena and her clumsy, awkward groundstrokes - if u work on it, it will get better!
Make an effort mboyle - ur an mbarrassment!