Davenport's resurrection proof of women's tennis decline? - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2004, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,293
                     
Davenport's resurrection proof of women's tennis decline?

Watching a 28-year-old Lindsay dominating the US summer hard court tournaments makes me wonder whether this is another proof of how women's tennis has sunk in the last 5, 7 years.
Lindsay first profited at the end of the 90ies from Graf being caught at last by her numerous injuries (reconstructive knee surgery in 97), from Seles's gaining weight and from Sanchez' being over the hill.
She battled with the types of Hingis, Capriati and Venus for the top spot but was minced meat when more talented players like Serena and Henin elevated the game again to the level it had before 97. And now as Serena slowly transfers to a movie/TV career and the Belgians are sidelined due to injury she is back again to pick up the pieces! Although she clearly is not in prime age any more (for a tennis player!).

Opinions?
Calimero377 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2004, 07:46 PM
A winner is me.
 
Andrew.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Victory Trail.
Posts: 11,118
                     
Yes. Lindsay sucks and only wins because everyone else sucks more.

Lindsay Davenport|Elena Bovina|Marissa Irvin|Tatiana Golovin|Mary Pierce|Sesil Karatantcheva|Cara Black|Clarisa Fernandez
Andrew. is offline  
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2004, 07:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Leo_DFP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 6,947
                     
I disagree. The way Davenport is playing right now, 2002's Serena or 2003's Justine would have problems beating her.
Leo_DFP is offline  
post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2004, 07:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Leo_DFP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 6,947
                     
Andrew said it better than I.
Leo_DFP is offline  
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2004, 07:50 PM
Beware Of The Dog, Bitch.
 
!<blocparty>!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: LAX, JFK & LHR.
Posts: 21,942
                     
your dumb.

Women's tennis sucks.
~


Go Rafa.

!<blocparty>! is offline  
post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2004, 07:50 PM
Senior Member
 
pokey camp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: once by the pacific
Posts: 2,249
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew.
Yes. Lindsay sucks and only wins because everyone else sucks more.
Ha.
pokey camp is offline  
post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2004, 07:51 PM
Senior Member
 
pokey camp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: once by the pacific
Posts: 2,249
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by selesport
your dumb.
His dumb what selesport? I'm hanging on the edge of my seat here.
pokey camp is offline  
post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2004, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,293
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_DFP
Andrew said it better than I.

Andrew was even more radical then me!
I would never say Lindsay sucks but definitely she is a player in the Mandlikova, Martinez, Sabatini, Capriati, V. Williams mould who only won/win slams & dominate Tier I tournaments when there are no real great players in the field.
Calimero377 is offline  
post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2004, 07:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Leo_DFP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 6,947
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calimero377

Andrew was even more radical then me!
I would never say Lindsay sucks but definitely she is a player in the Mandlikova, Martinez, Sabatini, Capriati, V. Williams mould who only won/win slams & dominate Tier I tournaments when there are no real great players in the field.
Andrew was being sarcastic... And once again, I don't agree. Davenport has always been able to beat the best when she plays her best.
Leo_DFP is offline  
post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2004, 07:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 131
                     
are you people for real!?!?! Why don't you watch tapes of when Lindsay was winning slams, then watch her now? It's not that the game has declined, you'll see that she has upped her own game tremendously. She hits harder and moves faster today than she ever has. Not to mention that she FINALLY seems to have gotten over her poor attitude on the court.

It is true that injuries at the top have opened the door a bit--the same way LINDSAY's injury opened the door to others. Before she had her knee surgery, the belgian girls could barely keep up with her. Venus and Serena always gave her problems because of her movement. But now that she's moving so much better, she can hang with anyone. I think the way she's playing now is as good or better than Justine before her injury/illness.
jpurkey1 is offline  
post #11 of 76 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2004, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,293
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_DFP
Andrew was being sarcastic... And once again, I don't agree. Davenport has always been able to beat the best when she plays her best.

Same with Casals, Jaeger, Mandlikova, Sabatini, Martinez - were always able to beat Navi, Evert, Graf when they played their best.
Calimero377 is offline  
post #12 of 76 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2004, 08:00 PM
Senior Member
 
faboozadoo15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: united states
Posts: 22,408
                     
what a bunch of crap. lindsay winning this late in her career only tells us about what lindsay has been able to do-- not the state of the tour. did you see some of the running shots she made against elena? she is better than maybe she ever way before, and the fields are stronger. watching davenport "dominate" once again is just showing us what she's capable of-- which is to say the least-- a lot.
faboozadoo15 is offline  
post #13 of 76 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2004, 08:01 PM
Senior Member
 
faboozadoo15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: united states
Posts: 22,408
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calimero377
Same with Casals, Jaeger, Mandlikova, Sabatini, Martinez - were always able to beat Navi, Evert, Graf when they played their best.
what about steffi graf's "dominance" 93-95??? what did that tell us about the state of the game in those years?
faboozadoo15 is offline  
post #14 of 76 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2004, 08:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 10,798
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calimero377
Watching a 28-year-old Lindsay dominating the US summer hard court tournaments makes me wonder whether this is another proof of how women's tennis has sunk in the last 5, 7 years.
Lindsay first profited at the end of the 90ies from Graf being caught at last by her numerous injuries (reconstructive knee surgery in 97), from Seles's gaining weight and from Sanchez' being over the hill.
She battled with the types of Hingis, Capriati and Venus for the top spot but was minced meat when more talented players like Serena and Henin elevated the game again to the level it had before 97. And now as Serena slowly transfers to a movie/TV career and the Belgians are sidelined due to injury she is back again to pick up the pieces! Although she clearly is not in prime age any more (for a tennis player!).

Opinions?
You know when I read crap like this I always wonder what compells people to sit at their computer chair and insight junk posts like this without truly pondering a simple thought.

Tennis has declined the last 5 years because in 2004, Lindsay does not have serious injuries and is gaining her confidence back? Because she is beating players she is capable and powerful enough to beat?

Over the years it has never ceased to amazed me that people who dump on Lindsay have absolutely no clue about this woman as a tennis player.

There are only two Universal facts about Lindsay that have prevented her from winning more big titles:

1. She is not as fast as the Williams sisters or the top two Belgians. Therefore, they caught up to her. Not because Lindsay is less talented

2. Lindsay has dealt with two major injuries. No great player can play hurt and be successful. NOBODY.

Other than that Lindsay deserves to be where she is. I really wish people would think about what they are writing about once in a while when they start garbage like this thread.......
Jakeev is offline  
post #15 of 76 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2004, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,293
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeev
You know when I read crap like this I always wonder what compells people to sit at their computer chair and insight junk posts like this without truly pondering a simple thought.

Tennis has declined the last 5 years because in 2004, Lindsay does not have serious injuries and is gaining her confidence back? Because she is beating players she is capable and powerful enough to beat?

Over the years it has never ceased to amazed me that people who dump on Lindsay have absolutely no clue about this woman as a tennis player.

There are only two Universal facts about Lindsay that have prevented her from winning more big titles:

1. She is not as fast as the Williams sisters or the top two Belgians. Therefore, they caught up to her. Not because Lindsay is less talented

2. Lindsay has dealt with two major injuries. No great player can play hurt and be successful. NOBODY.

Other than that Lindsay deserves to be where she is. I really wish people would think about what they are writing about once in a while when they start garbage like this thread.......

But you don't want to compare her with all-time greats like Evert, Navratilova, Graf, or even with players like Seles (90-96), Hingis, Serena & Henin, do you?

Calimero377 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome