Sharapova is the Sarah Hughes of figure skating - TennisForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 90 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2004, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Jeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: California
Posts: 6,882
                     
Sharapova is the Sarah Hughes of figure skating

Sarah Hughes upset Michelle Kwan and Irina Slutskaya for the figure skating gold medal. Despite the fact that she is clearly outclassed by the top figure skaters, she happened to have a good short and long program (do mostly to her triple triples and not really much of anything to do with artistry). Michelle and Slutskaya didn't perform up to par, and therefore the gold to Hughes.

Well I'll be slammed for this comment, but I don't really care, 'cuz the Acura quarterfinal tonight made me thing that Sharapova is in the same boat. She was clearly outplayed by Myskina. Not by power, of course, because everyone knows Sharapova is a "swing away at every point as hard as you can" machine. Like Sarah Hughes, who does as many triple-triples as she can to gain points from her lack of artistry, Sharapova just slams the ball every point hoping for a 50-50 chance to end the point.

Myskina outclassed Maria today. Maria squeeked by with Wimbledon win, but with results like today (not by losing, but by the way she lost with zillions of unforced and crazy errors), she definetly isn't representing a champion.

Bad points for me, oh well







Jeff is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 90 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2004, 05:08 AM
Senior Member
 
Leo_DFP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 6,947
                     
I agree about Kwan and Slutskaya. What a blown opportunity for Gold for both of them.

Sharapova certainly does not compare to the players above her at this point, but, to be honest, she is still only 17 and has much improving left to do. As much as I can't stand her or her fans, she does not yet deserve to be called the "Sarah Huges of tennis."
Leo_DFP is offline  
post #3 of 90 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2004, 05:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Crazy Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Munchkin Land
Posts: 28,511
                     
Yes, it's certainly too early to call her that... unless she's already announced her plans to run off to Yale and I missed that thread

If the Sharapova trolls would just all die a nice quiet death, she'd be quite easy to accept, actually. It's getting irritating hearing that she's all of a sudden the favourite against Myskina, and whoever else. Please.

Anyways, I expect more great things from her in the future... not so much from Sarah - at least, not on the ice
Crazy Canuck is offline  
post #4 of 90 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2004, 05:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 589
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_DFP
I agree about Kwan and Slutskaya. What a blown opportunity for Gold for both of them.

Sharapova certainly does not compare to the players above her at this point, but, to be honest, she is still only 17 and has much improving left to do. As much as I can't stand her or her fans, she does not yet deserve to be called the "Sarah Huges of tennis."
She did beat Sugiyama, Davenport and Serena Williams at Wimbledon. That isn't nothing. I think it's actually ridiculous to say she's not as good as the players ahead of her yet. She might not be ... but what are we basing this on? What happened in March? Who cares? She's much better now.
SerenaVenusNo1 is offline  
post #5 of 90 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2004, 05:13 AM
Senior Member
 
Crazy Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Munchkin Land
Posts: 28,511
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenaVenusNo1
She did beat Sugiyama, Davenport and Serena Williams at Wimbledon. That isn't nothing. I think it's actually ridiculous to say she's not as good as the players ahead of her yet. She might not be ... but what are we basing this on? What happened in March? Who cares? She's much better now.
I think that he was actually basing it on what happened tonight...

(not that I agree with his overall assessment, mind you)
Crazy Canuck is offline  
post #6 of 90 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2004, 05:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 589
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
I think that he was actually basing it on what happened tonight...

(not that I agree with his overall assessment, mind you)
The first paragraph obviously refers to Wimbledon.
SerenaVenusNo1 is offline  
post #7 of 90 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2004, 05:17 AM
Senior Member
 
Crazy Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Munchkin Land
Posts: 28,511
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenaVenusNo1
The first paragraph obviously refers to Wimbledon.
Yes, and then he continues with this:

'cuz the Acura quarterfinal tonight made me thing that Sharapova is in the same boat

Hence my assumption that his post was inspired by tonights result
Crazy Canuck is offline  
post #8 of 90 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2004, 05:17 AM
Senior Member
 
Leo_DFP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 6,947
                     
Um, what about March?

I'm basing that statement on her record, of course. She has not had great results, over all, against the top players ranked ahead of her. Time and time again, they have gotten the better of her. The one exception, obviously was Wimbledon, which is comparable, according to Jeff, with Sarah's Gold medal victory (the one difference being that Sarah didn't benefit from fortunate rain delays at opportune moments ). If that title was a sign that she has indeed reached the level of those ahead of her already, then she better start proving it. She certainly did not today.
Leo_DFP is offline  
post #9 of 90 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2004, 05:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 589
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Yes, and then he continues with this:

'cuz the Acura quarterfinal tonight made me thing that Sharapova is in the same boat

Hence my assumption that his post was inspired by tonights result
So fucking what?

He talks of Wimbledon. So did I. It's relevant.
SerenaVenusNo1 is offline  
post #10 of 90 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2004, 05:18 AM
Senior Member
 
faboozadoo15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: united states
Posts: 22,194
                     
what the hell, im not a figure skating fan at all, but wasn't it the long program that hughes won, coming back from fourth place to get to the top. and isn't the long program the one that emphasizes artistry??? get your facts straight...
faboozadoo15 is online now  
post #11 of 90 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2004, 05:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 589
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_DFP
Um, what about March?

I'm basing that statement on her record, of course. She has not had great results, over all, against the top players ranked ahead of her. Time and time again, they have gotten the better of her. The one exception, obviously was Wimbledon, which is comparable, according to Jeff, with Sarah's Gold medal victory (the one difference being that Sarah didn't benefit from fortunate rain delays at opportune moments ). If that title was a sign that she has indeed reached the level of those ahead of her already, then she better start proving it. She certainly did not today.
Oh, time and time again. Yes, she's been around for AGES and she's obviously not improving, right Leo? She's getting better and better, and I don't care that Vera won a match with her in March because it doesn't matter now. She's a new player. Get it?
SerenaVenusNo1 is offline  
post #12 of 90 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2004, 05:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Crazy Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Munchkin Land
Posts: 28,511
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenaVenusNo1
So fucking what?

He talks of Wimbledon. So did I. It's relevant.
mm hmm. You clearly missed my point. I will move on now.
Crazy Canuck is offline  
post #13 of 90 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2004, 05:21 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 589
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
mm hmm. You clearly missed my point. I will move on now.
Of course I missed your point! What other explanation is there?
SerenaVenusNo1 is offline  
post #14 of 90 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2004, 05:22 AM
Senior Member
 
Crazy Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Munchkin Land
Posts: 28,511
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by faboozadoo15
what the hell, im not a figure skating fan at all, but wasn't it the long program that hughes won, coming back from fourth place to get to the top. and isn't the long program the one that emphasizes artistry??? get your facts straight...
Um. If everybody else falls on their ass during key elements, it doesn't much matter if they had better artistic presentation than you.
Crazy Canuck is offline  
post #15 of 90 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2004, 05:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Leo_DFP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 6,947
                     
Once again you bring up March and I have no idea why. Is that your favorite month of the year or something?

I never said that she's been around for ages. Obviously she is young and she has much improving to do. I did say that in my first post in this thread, but obviously you're not the best reader. And all I mean is that Sharapova is clearly not ready to beat those ranked ahead of her on a consistent basis yet because she is not steady, consistent, or sure of herself enough to do that. They are a level above her. That will most likely be different a year or two from now.
Leo_DFP is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome