If Momo wins Athens and reach #1 - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2004, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
skanky~skanketta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Not paradise thats fo sho
Posts: 15,453
                     
If Momo wins Athens and reach #1

would you say they deserved it?or do u still think they had to win a grand slam first?


Last edited by name_change; Jul 30th, 2004 at 07:44 AM.
skanky~skanketta is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Senior Member
 
foreva lindsay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK: Kent
Posts: 8,949
                     
lindsays not playing in athens count her out

LINDSAY DAVENPORT

Elena Baltacha Alicia Molik
*Alicia's coming back!!! *

Lisa Raymond Rennae Stubbs Nadia Petrova Anna-Lena Groenefeld
foreva lindsay is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
LostGlory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: *LostGlory*
Posts: 11,196
                     
Olympics

Lindsay Already Has An Olympic Gold And 3 Grand Slam Titles, Oh And She Will Not Go To This Year's Olympics. Momo, She Definetly Deserves It(fingers Crossed She Will Win A Medal At Least This Year)....because She Is One Of The Best Talents And Definetly Has The Best All Court Game On The Tour However She Hasn't Reached 1/2 Her Potential Yet.....which Reminds Us That We Should Be Mentally As Well As Physically Strong To Achieve Greatness In Any Sport...
LostGlory is offline  
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2004, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
skanky~skanketta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Not paradise thats fo sho
Posts: 15,453
                     
Bump

skanky~skanketta is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 15
                     
I don't think it's possible to reach No. 1 without earning it.
ahimsadawn is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2004, 09:11 AM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
LostGlory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: *LostGlory*
Posts: 11,196
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahimsadawn
I don't think it's possible to reach No. 1 without earning it.
There is a 1000 or more points difference between Momo and the No. 1 spot she needs to win Athens and the Usopen ...and Henin needs to loose both in early stages.....without forgetting Davenport who is impressively in form.....

Amelie - Marcos

You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh because you're all the same

I'm Back
LostGlory is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Senior Member
 
Vass22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dubai
Posts: 2,519
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostGlory
There is a 1000 or more points difference between Momo and the No. 1 spot she needs to win Athens and the Usopen ...and Henin needs to loose both in early stages.....without forgetting Davenport who is impressively in form.....
Justine is out of the picture I think. I doubt that she'll manage to get further than 3rd round in USO and she'll lose these points.

Riding the 3AM Rollercoaster
Vass22 is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2004, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
skanky~skanketta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Not paradise thats fo sho
Posts: 15,453
                     
oh just answer the question already!

i mean, many complained when kim made #1 without winning a GS....and when martina was at #1 withhout winning a GS that year and same with lindsay in 01 i think. but if Momo wins the olympics, but not the USO and does welll till the end of the year and makes #1, would u say yeah, she deserved it?or would u say no she has to win a GS first?

skanky~skanketta is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 589
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by name_change
oh just answer the question already!

i mean, many complained when kim made #1 without winning a GS....and when martina was at #1 withhout winning a GS that year and same with lindsay in 01 i think. but if Momo wins the olympics, but not the USO and does welll till the end of the year and makes #1, would u say yeah, she deserved it?or would u say no she has to win a GS first?
The Olympics is prestigious because it is the Olympics, but in Tour value points, it's not even close to being on par with the majors, so no, it wouldn't make up for the lack of a major.
SerenaVenusNo1 is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Senior Member
 
~ The Leopard ~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Kissing my little Lolita
Posts: 13,105
                     
Of course she'll deserve it. So did Kimmie. It's important to win slams coz they're what history remembers people by, but they're overrated as a gauge of who is playing best. Kimmie was playing best when she got to number 1. Right now, Linzi is playing best. However, if Momo beats her to #1 (against the odds) then good for her.

Vin, kvinder og sang
~ The Leopard ~ is offline  
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
LostGlory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: *LostGlory*
Posts: 11,196
                     
Wining an olympic Gold is the best Honor in any sport and that is why they included points for the Athens round.....besides so many player wish they could attend but each country is allowed a certain number and only the top 50 in the world can automatically qualify....the rest have to go through qualifying stages.....

Amelie - Marcos

You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh because you're all the same

I'm Back
LostGlory is offline  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 589
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostGlory
Wining an olympic Gold is the best Honor in any sport and that is why they included points for the Athens round.....besides so many player wish they could attend but each country is allowed a certain number and only the top 50 in the world can automatically qualify....the rest have to go through qualifying stages.....
They actually decided to include points because enough players DIDN'T feel that way and weren't playing.
SerenaVenusNo1 is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 589
                     
Oh, and just about every tennis player on tour would rather have a Slam title than an Olympic gold.
SerenaVenusNo1 is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
LostGlory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: *LostGlory*
Posts: 11,196
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenaVenusNo1
Oh, and just about every tennis player on tour would rather have a Slam title than an Olympic gold.
Well they 'd rather that because they are getting a million dollars for the slam title, and just the gold medal for the olympics....we live in a material world my friend and believe u and me who ever tells u other wise is not telling you the real story....

Amelie - Marcos

You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh because you're all the same

I'm Back
LostGlory is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2004, 10:27 AM
country flag CJK
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 959
                     
Yes she does deserve it, let's hope she does get there.
CJK is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome