Why people complain about the Sisters' excuses... - TennisForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2004, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
mboyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 18,514
                     
Why people complain about the Sisters' excuses...

This is an answer to why people don't compare other players' post match excuses to the sisters:

when the Sisters lose, their excuses leave no room to credit their opponent. Basically, they claim that, regardless of how well their opponent played, they would have won if they had played even at 70%, or a "decent match." When any other player loses, she usually excuses herself as being "tired" or having made silly UFEs, but she also credits her opponent's play, and rarely claims that victory would have been assured regardless of her opponent's play. The complete lack of respect for an opponent's play is what pisses off alot of people. Hopefully y'all can see this and at least comprehend it. You don't have to agree w/ it, but I just thought I'd clue you in.
mboyle is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2004, 11:01 PM
double-dog daredevil
 
griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: self-imposed exile
Posts: 12,053
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboyle
This is an answer to why people don't compare other players' post match excuses to the sisters:

when the Sisters lose, their excuses leave no room to credit their opponent. Basically, they claim that, regardless of how well their opponent played, they would have won if they had played even at 70%, or a "decent match." When any other player loses, she usually excuses herself as being "tired" or having made silly UFEs, but she also credits her opponent's play, and rarely claims that victory would have been assured regardless of her opponent's play. The complete lack of respect for an opponent's play is what pisses off alot of people. Hopefully y'all can see this and at least comprehend it. You don't have to agree w/ it, but I just thought I'd clue you in.
Ya know, if you ever bothered to read the entire interview after any given loss, you'd know you're full of it.

They do teach reading/research at that school you claim to have attended, don't they?

Reason is poor propaganda when opposed by the yammering, unceasing lies of shrewd and evil and self-serving men.
--Robert Heinlein
griffin is offline  
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2004, 11:06 PM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
Venus Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: New York City
Posts: 11,233
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin
Ya know, if you ever bothered to read the entire interview after any given loss, you'd know you're full of it.

They do teach reading/research at that school you claim to have attended, don't they?


This thread is sooooo stupid. He's trying to distinguish between what is a good excuse, and what is a bad excuse.

Please now, an excuse is an excuse.


QUEEN VEE


Good Luck: RENA, MATTEK, HAYNES, GULLICKSON, HARKLEROAD, RUBIN, GRANVILLE, LEE-WATERS, SCHNYDER, JACKSON, PERRY, KING, SUGIYAMA, PIERCE, TULYAGANOVA, IVANOVIC, KUZNETSOVA, MOLIK, DANIILIDOU, MEDINA GARRIGUES, PETROVA, PENNETTA, GOLOVIN, PEER, LI, SCHIAVONE, RAZZANO, ZVONAREVA, SPREM, SREBOTNIK, VINCI, & SAFINA
Venus Forever is offline  
post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2004, 11:10 PM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
Venus Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: New York City
Posts: 11,233
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboyle
This is an answer to why people don't compare other players' post match excuses to the sisters:

when the Sisters lose, their excuses leave no room to credit their opponent. Basically, they claim that, regardless of how well their opponent played, they would have won if they had played even at 70%, or a "decent match." When any other player loses, she usually excuses herself as being "tired" or having made silly UFEs, but she also credits her opponent's play, and rarely claims that victory would have been assured regardless of her opponent's play. The complete lack of respect for an opponent's play is what pisses off alot of people. Hopefully y'all can see this and at least comprehend it. You don't have to agree w/ it, but I just thought I'd clue you in.
Boy, this is the biggest piece of Bullshit that I have ever read.

I can quote COUNTLESS times of where the Williams sisters have remarked about how well their opponent was playing, and COUNTLESS times of where the losing player blamed something in their own game as to why they lost (which I have already done after Wimbledon.)

Give it up already, ALL THE PLAYERS HAVE EXCUSES.

QUEEN VEE


Good Luck: RENA, MATTEK, HAYNES, GULLICKSON, HARKLEROAD, RUBIN, GRANVILLE, LEE-WATERS, SCHNYDER, JACKSON, PERRY, KING, SUGIYAMA, PIERCE, TULYAGANOVA, IVANOVIC, KUZNETSOVA, MOLIK, DANIILIDOU, MEDINA GARRIGUES, PETROVA, PENNETTA, GOLOVIN, PEER, LI, SCHIAVONE, RAZZANO, ZVONAREVA, SPREM, SREBOTNIK, VINCI, & SAFINA
Venus Forever is offline  
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2004, 11:12 PM
Senior Member
 
VeNuS#1LoVa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Planet Venus
Posts: 3,823
                     
Again, hatin' on the Williams Sisters, and although I could go all out on this topic, I won't I'll mkae it short...

When the Williams Sisters lose, it's because they beat themselves, not because of their opponents fabulous play, because when an ON Williams Sister plays, they will beat anyone...Case Closed...

Venus Williams
2007 Memphis Champion


Serena Williams
2007 Australian Open
VeNuS#1LoVa is offline  
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2004, 11:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: London
Posts: 1,874
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeNuS#1LoVa
Again, hatin' on the Williams Sisters, and although I could go all out on this topic, I won't I'll mkae it short...

When the Williams Sisters lose, it's because they beat themselves, not because of their opponents fabulous play, because when an ON Williams Sister plays, they will beat anyone...Case Closed...
You have to love fans who actually believe this. Its nothing to do with the opponents play guys, just the WS play

Myskina * Henin-Hardenne * Zvonerava

Davenport - Dementieva
Crazy_Fool is offline  
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2004, 11:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Mrs. Peel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,824
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin
Ya know, if you ever bothered to read the entire interview after any given loss, you'd know you're full of it.

They do teach reading/research at that school you claim to have attended, don't they?
Mrs. Peel is offline  
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2004, 11:27 PM
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!
 
Rocketta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 35,918
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin
Ya know, if you ever bothered to read the entire interview after any given loss, you'd know you're full of it.

They do teach reading/research at that school you claim to have attended, don't they?
preach Griffin!
Rocketta is offline  
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2004, 11:35 PM
Guest
 
*JR*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: On the Peace Train
Posts: 34,247
                     
Since I don't even watch or read those mostly predictable interviews, this observation isn't About Anyone in particular. Having made that disclaimer, I offer Griff this observation: A player can INDEED "technically praise" her opponent, but then Imply: "If I was playing the way I normally do, I'd have won anyway".
*JR* is offline  
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2004, 11:55 PM
Senior Member
 
faboozadoo15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: united states
Posts: 22,302
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeNuS#1LoVa
Again, hatin' on the Williams Sisters, and although I could go all out on this topic, I won't I'll mkae it short...

When the Williams Sisters lose, it's because they beat themselves, not because of their opponents fabulous play, because when an ON Williams Sister plays, they will beat anyone...Case Closed...
this is exactly the attitude mboyle addressed
thanks for proving his point....

for instance, if a player plays a lot of slices and things their opponent isn't used to, they may win just because of that technical superiority. what an opponent does during a match affects the game of the player...
case closed...
faboozadoo15 is online now  
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2004, 11:55 PM
Senior Member
 
faboozadoo15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: united states
Posts: 22,302
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyRoger
Since I don't even watch or read those mostly predictable interviews, this observation isn't About Anyone in particular. Having made that disclaimer, I offer Griff this observation: A player can INDEED "technically praise" her opponent, but then Imply: "If I was playing the way I normally do, I'd have won anyway".
indeed.
faboozadoo15 is online now  
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2004, 12:00 AM
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!
 
Rocketta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 35,918
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by faboozadoo15
this is exactly the attitude mboyle addressed
thanks for proving his point....

for instance, if a player plays a lot of slices and things their opponent isn't used to, they may win just because of that technical superiority. what an opponent does during a match affects the game of the player...
case closed...
I thought the thread starters post was about about Serena/Venus' excuses not their fans?
Rocketta is offline  
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2004, 12:01 AM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
Venus Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: New York City
Posts: 11,233
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by faboozadoo15
this is exactly the attitude mboyle addressed
thanks for proving his point....

for instance, if a player plays a lot of slices and things their opponent isn't used to, they may win just because of that technical superiority. what an opponent does during a match affects the game of the player...
case closed...
So, I guess what you're saying is that a player should go out there believing other players are actually better than them, huh??

As I see, then they come out defeated, and will definitely lose.

Just like Jankovic said, she believed she could win, and heck, she almost did. She obviously believes that her game is good enough, and maybe even better, to beat Serena. What's wrong with that??

What's wrong with believing in your own capabilities in that you are the best in the world, and that if you play at your full potential, no one will beat you??

QUEEN VEE


Good Luck: RENA, MATTEK, HAYNES, GULLICKSON, HARKLEROAD, RUBIN, GRANVILLE, LEE-WATERS, SCHNYDER, JACKSON, PERRY, KING, SUGIYAMA, PIERCE, TULYAGANOVA, IVANOVIC, KUZNETSOVA, MOLIK, DANIILIDOU, MEDINA GARRIGUES, PETROVA, PENNETTA, GOLOVIN, PEER, LI, SCHIAVONE, RAZZANO, ZVONAREVA, SPREM, SREBOTNIK, VINCI, & SAFINA
Venus Forever is offline  
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2004, 12:02 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: United States
Posts: 7,274
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin
Ya know, if you ever bothered to read the entire interview after any given loss, you'd know you're full of it.

They do teach reading/research at that school you claim to have attended, don't they?
Well said. Why does he come on here and post straight out lies? All one has to do is read the whole interview intead of the bits and pieces that he seems to.

Wake up already and realize all players usually credit their opponets and all players usually have an excuse as to why they lost.

The WTA Women of Wonder Featuring....The Goddess: Venus Williams The Glamazon: Serena Williams The Lioness: Jennifer Capriati The High Priestess: Monica Seles The Saint: Kim Clijsters The Phoenix: Chanda Rubin The Bon Vivant: Amelie Mauresmo The Titan: Lindsay Davenport The Courtesan: Anna Kournikova The Exile: Martina Hingis The Sorceress: Anatasia Myskina The Minx: Maria Sharapova
Cybelle Darkholme is offline  
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2004, 12:02 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 44,681
                     
So then why is it any different?! I mean....Serena can say: Maria played a great match, Lindsay played a great match....and then when asked: how did YOU play or how far along are you?! Then say well I had a bad day, I missed too many balls,etc...

Everybody says it, but who gets crucified?!

Always bet on black!
Can you handle the truth?
The truth:
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
22 majors:6376


Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome