Athens TOP 16 seeding projection!? - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2004, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
country flag CJK
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 959
                     
Athens TOP 16 seeding projection!?

Serena and Venus have special seeding
1. Justine Henin-Hardenne
2. Serena Williams

3. Venus Williams
4. Amelie Mauresmo/Anastasia Myskina

5. Amelie Mauresmo/Anastasia Myskina
6-8 Elena Dementieva, Jennifer Capriati, Svetalena Kuznetsova


Serena has SS (Serena has played 7 WTA events prior, this could be the last one)
1. Justine Henin-Hardenne
2. Serena Williams

3-4. Amelie Mauresmo, Anastasia Myskina

5-7. Elena Dementieva, Jennifer Capriati, Svetalena Kuznetsova
8. Venus Williams/Ai Sugiyama/Paola Suarez/Nadia Petrova
(Ai and Paola, with Montreal QF, Nadia with SF)




9-12 (likely to be these people unless a surprise semifinalist in Montreal)
Ai Sugiyama, Paola Suarez, Nadia Petrova, Patty Schnyder
(replace Venus Williams as above if she does not get SS)



13-16
Francesca Schiavone
Anna Pistolesi-Smashnova
Karolina Sprem
Silvia Farina Elia



next in
Chanda Rubin
Magdalena Maleeva


Last edited by CJK; Aug 5th, 2004 at 12:53 AM.
CJK is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2004, 06:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,306
                     
i thought san diego already assigned seedings. isn't venus seeded 11th at acura?
Hant Hant is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2004, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
country flag CJK
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 959
                     
Correct, but that's Venus you are talking about, she already ran out of special seeding.
Serena still has 2 left after this week.
CJK is offline  
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2004, 06:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,306
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJK
Correct, but that's Venus you are talking about, she already ran out of special seeding.
Serena still has 2 left after this week.
but you said venus might get seeded inside the top 8 in san diego and she is not.

anyways..........YAY Acura
Hant Hant is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2004, 06:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,263
                     
Olympics is not a WTA event right? So if they seed as they were so far this year she will be seeded by her special seeding at US open (itf event) and still have one special seeding left ...
maya is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2004, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
country flag CJK
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 959
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hant Hant
but you said venus might get seeded inside the top 8 in san diego and she is not.

anyways..........YAY Acura
Now I see where the mix-up is. What I meant was Venus can be seeded for Athens with her rankings since some of the top 10 players are skipping Olympics.
CJK is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2004, 07:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,306
                     
ohhhhhhh, lol
Hant Hant is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2004, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
country flag CJK
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 959
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by maya
Olympics is not a WTA event right? So if they seed as they were so far this year she will be seeded by her special seeding at US open (itf event) and still have one special seeding left ...
It's not a grand slam tournament, so it technically counts. It also awards points, so it should count. Below is the quote straight out of the WTA newsletter.

I was wondering if anyone knows if the Olympics is sactioned by ITF or WTA. Serena might escape this one.
CJK is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2004, 07:01 PM
Senior Member
 
lizchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Bergen County
Posts: 20,943
                     
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJK
It's not a grand slam tournament, so it technically counts. It also awards points, so it should count. Below is the quote straight out of the WTA newsletter.

I was wondering if anyone knows if the Olympics is sactioned by ITF or WTA. Serena might escape this one.
I think the Olympics are an ITF event.

If that is the case, Serena can use her special seeding for the first tournament she plays after the US Open and that is it. But it won't matter because by then, she most likely will be back in the top ten.
lizchris is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2004, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
country flag CJK
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 959
                     
So ITF events I guess wont count? Let us see how WTA deals with this one.
But either way, her seeding in US Open is almost assured, it's not of the the limitations anyways, since the special seeding only applies to the nonslam tournaments. In slams it's up to USTA, which I'm sure wont mind giving her a #2 seed.
CJK is offline  
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Senior Member
 
lizchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Bergen County
Posts: 20,943
                     
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJK
So ITF events I guess wont count? Let us see how WTA deals with this one.
But either way, her seeding in US Open is almost assured, it's not of the the limitations anyways, since the special seeding only applies to the nonslam tournaments. In slams it's up to USTA, which I'm sure wont mind giving her a #2 seed.
The special seedings applys to WTA tour event only, which the Slams and the Olympics are not.
lizchris is offline  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2004, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
country flag CJK
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 959
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizchris
The special seedings applys to WTA tour event only, which the Slams and the Olympics are not.
That is correct, and that was what I thought originally.
However, the rule clearly says it's the first 8 non-slam tournaments for SR.
WTA is going into some grey area about it, I suppose they'll give Serena a break.
Because if it doesnt cout for Serena, then we might see Venus, the defending champion, getting a special seed too, and I think Venus deserves it more.
CJK is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,002
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJK
That is correct, and that was what I thought originally.
However, the rule clearly says it's the first 8 non-slam tournaments for SR.
WTA is going into some grey area about it, I suppose they'll give Serena a break.
Because if it doesnt cout for Serena, then we might see Venus, the defending champion, getting a special seed too, and I think Venus deserves it more.
actually there is no break, and really no rule since olympics are very 4 years, im sure Olympics will seed by who they think deserves the top seeding for what not. But Special Ranking will not be used at all for Serena. She will still have one left after the usopen.

Follow Me! @CedricEarl
SerenaSlam is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2004, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
country flag CJK
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 959
                     
Let's see if Athens is going to give Venus a seeding.
CJK is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2004, 10:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 768
 
Even those who don't like her should hand it to Justine: remaining n°1 after being away so long says a lot about her previous accomplishments.

undefined
Please come back in top condition, J... I miss you very badly
Truthwillout is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome