With Serena out, will Maria return to No.1? - TennisForum.com
 85Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2017, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
larryd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,004
                     
With Serena out, will Maria return to No.1?

Taken from an article about Serena's announcement:
"Great news for Serena and her fiancé, but horrible news for the WTA. The women’s circuit is already suffering from an identity crisis and lacking great champions. Only Maria Sharapova might be able to save a sinking ship."

Full article here:
http://www.ubitennis.net/blog/2017/04/20/monte-carlo-day-three-serena-announces-pregnancy-will-maria-return-no-1/

Your thoughts?
larryd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2017, 02:39 PM
.
 
BlueTrees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 14,955
                     
Re: With Serena out, will Maria return to No.1?


Elina SvitolinaEugenie BouchardCamila GiorgiLucie SafarovaSorana CirsteaCarina WitthoeftDonna Vekic
BlueTrees is offline  
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2017, 02:45 PM
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 23,887
                     
Re: With Serena out, will Maria return to No.1?

yes she will
danieln1 is offline  
 
post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2017, 02:49 PM
Senior Member
 
TERRASTAR18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 4,809
                     
Re: With Serena out, will Maria return to No.1?

Not with her heart problems and diabetes.
TERRASTAR18 is offline  
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2017, 03:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Owl-on-speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 5,420
                     
Re: With Serena out, will Maria return to No.1?

Well, to go with the sinking ship analogy, if the WTA is the Titanic I could definitely see Sharapova as its captain.

Victoria Azarenka Petra Kvitová Agnieszka Radwańska Timea Bacsinszky Kiki Bertens
Owl-on-speed is offline  
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2017, 03:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Mr.Sharapova's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 25,862
                     
Re: With Serena out, will Maria return to No.1?

Serena and Venus have managed to play at their best for so many years now considering their age. So I don't see why someone like Maria who has the drive, the passion and the work ethic needed wouldn't be able to do the same thing.
Mr.Sharapova is offline  
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2017, 03:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 174
                     
Re: With Serena out, will Maria return to No.1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl-on-speed View Post
Well, to go with the sinking ship analogy, if the WTA is the Titanic I could definitely see Sharapova as its captain.
Classy Guest stan as usual can't keep their mouth shut
Kryptonyte is offline  
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2017, 03:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 280
                     
Re: With Serena out, will Maria return to No.1?

Even when Serena was "extremely injured," Sharapova was barely able to snatch a handful of weeks at number one. I see her maxing out at top 5, assuming she can get her old form back.
lovemartinas is online now  
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2017, 03:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Macalania Woods
Posts: 7,941
                     
Re: With Serena out, will Maria return to No.1?

Without meldonium? No.
Now and Zen is offline  
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2017, 03:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Serve2Win's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 11,111
                     
Re: With Serena out, will Maria return to No.1?

It all depends on what she is taking now for her heart and potential diabetes.
If it's not approved by WADA, we'll be back to square 1.
Lumpa Lumpa likes this.

Serena is untouchable.!!! Halep is getting there!! Konjuh: sky is the limit !!!! Watch out for Aiava!! Kristie Ahn, Sophie Chang, you are cool !!!!
Play the WTA PredictionGame:
Wimbley:http://www.tennisgamers.com/board/slams/skanteams.php?t_name=2017_Wimbledon_SkanCanTest
Board:http://www.tennisgamers.com/board/pd...-date&tour=WTA
Serve2Win is offline  
post #11 of 71 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2017, 03:30 PM
Senior Member
 
MoonballPusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Formerly RSA, Now Canada
Posts: 5,860
                     
No, Victoria Azarenka will be #1
MoonballPusher is offline  
post #12 of 71 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2017, 03:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Exordes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 21,101
                     
Re: With Serena out, will Maria return to No.1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serve2Win View Post
It all depends on what she is taking now for her heart and potential diabetes.
If it's not approved by WADA, we'll be back to square 1.
TASS: Sport - Russian microbiologists discover substitution for banned drug meldonium
Russian microbiologists discovered a substitution for medial preparation meldonium, which was listed by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) since the beginning of last year as a banned performance enhancing drug, Russian Federal Micro-Biological Agency (FMBA) Head Vladimir Uiba said on Wednesday. "We have found a substitution for meldonium," Uiba said. "This is a set of medications, which are not included in the list of the banned substances and they are by far effective compared with meldonium."

Russia finds new meldonium alternative
A Russian state medical agency says it has found new and improved alternatives to meldonium, the banned substance for which tennis star Maria Sharapova tested positive.

Federal Medical-Biological Agency head Vladimir Uiba says Russia has found 'several drugs which are not banned and work significantly better than meldonium,' in comments carried by Russian news agencies. Uiba didn't name the new drugs and it wasn't immediately clear whether they are already being used by top Russian athletes. Uiba's agency is tasked with providing medical support to Russian national teams in many sports. Sharapova was among over 100 athletes who tested positive after the heart drug meldonium was banned in sport last year.
Exordes is offline  
post #13 of 71 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2017, 03:54 PM
Senior Member
 
medved's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 919
                     
Re: With Serena out, will Maria return to No.1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exordes View Post
TASS: Sport - Russian microbiologists discover substitution for banned drug meldonium
Russian microbiologists discovered a substitution for medial preparation meldonium, which was listed by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) since the beginning of last year as a banned performance enhancing drug, Russian Federal Micro-Biological Agency (FMBA) Head Vladimir Uiba said on Wednesday. "We have found a substitution for meldonium," Uiba said. "This is a set of medications, which are not included in the list of the banned substances and they are by far effective compared with meldonium."

Russia finds new meldonium alternative
A Russian state medical agency says it has found new and improved alternatives to meldonium, the banned substance for which tennis star Maria Sharapova tested positive.

Federal Medical-Biological Agency head Vladimir Uiba says Russia has found 'several drugs which are not banned and work significantly better than meldonium,' in comments carried by Russian news agencies. Uiba didn't name the new drugs and it wasn't immediately clear whether they are already being used by top Russian athletes. Uiba's agency is tasked with providing medical support to Russian national teams in many sports. Sharapova was among over 100 athletes who tested positive after the heart drug meldonium was banned in sport last year.

___

Magda / Svetlana / Daniela / Marion / Belinda / AKS / Dominika
medved is offline  
post #14 of 71 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2017, 04:05 PM
Senior Member
 
WonderFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,682
 
Re: With Serena out, will Maria return to No.1?

We should be worrying if she will maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashaFan01 View Post
Yes - Present me some evidence or stats which shows the average of warnings Masha has has received per match during her 10 year career - Then you can write something about it - Right now you're only writing bullshit with no facts
WonderFan is offline  
post #15 of 71 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2017, 05:12 PM
Golden State Of Mind
 
StarDuvallGrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 5,579
                     
Re: With Serena out, will Maria return to No.1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sharapova View Post
Serena and Venus have managed to play at their best for so many years now considering their age. So I don't see why someone like Maria who has the drive, the passion and the work ethic needed wouldn't be able to do the same thing.
It isn't always about the idea that because Venus and especially Serena is exceptional therefore Maria can be too.

23...



StarDuvallGrant is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome