Venus deserves an apology. - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2004, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,620
                     
Venus deserves an apology.

What might have happened we'll never know. But the result is history now.

I am humiliated and embarrassed that such a mistake (and no matter what anyone says the course of the tie break would have been different) could have been made in my own country by a professional umpire at one of the world's premier tournaments.

But I am hopping mad that with typical arrogance neither Wimbledon nor the umpire in question has said sorry to Venus for what was an elementary mistake.

Could an apology not be issued and then a line drawn under the whole affair?
chris whiteside is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2004, 04:46 PM
Senior Member
 
tennisIlove09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 44,073
                     
It'd be nice, but I think this will be *the* story of 2004 Wimbledon, much like JHH/Serena is of the 2003 French.
tennisIlove09 is offline  
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2004, 09:16 PM
pav
Senior Member
 
pav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: new zealand
Posts: 9,642
                     
Nobody seems to give a fat rats backside about a bad line call Sprem recieved not long before,I think it evens out in the end , I know a TB makes each point stand out more, but they all count!
pav is offline  
 
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2004, 09:22 PM
Senior Member
 
SelesFan70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 11,025
                     
An apology from whom? England? Wimbledon? Alan Mills? The umpire? Karolina?

Venus had every chance to win BOTH sets, but she didn't. She had every right to question, but she didn't. I wanted her to win, but she didn't.

Tammy Bruce RightSideOfTheRainbow

Liberals: Hard on the unborn, soft on terrorists

Man-made climate change is a LIE

COUNTDOWN!
SelesFan70 is offline  
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2004, 09:25 PM
Senior Member
 
"Sluggy"'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 6,784
                     
I agree. It is really unfortunate for any player to lose a point like that, and it could happen in any country. In any sport with officiating mistakes like this happen.
"Sluggy" is offline  
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2004, 10:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 204
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris whiteside
I am humiliated and embarrassed that such a mistake (and no matter what anyone says the course of the tie break would have been different) could have been made in my own country by a professional umpire at one of the world's premier tournaments.


I assure you that alot of mistakes have been made before at major tournments such as Wimbledon, so with that attidute, you've got alot to be humiliated and embarrassed about.
Trent is offline  
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2004, 10:39 PM
Senior Member
 
thelittlestelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,393
                     
I completely agree. An apology is the least that umpire could do.

VENUSWILLIAMS

LINDSAYDAVENPORT MARTINAHINGIS SERENAWILLIAMS MONICASELES CHANDARUBIN DANIELAHANTUCHOVA JENNIFERCAPRIATI MARYPIERCE JELENADOKIC KIMCLIJSTERS ANNAKOURNIKOVA JILLCRAYBAS
thelittlestelf is offline  
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2004, 10:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: the sexy side of the colo
Posts: 3,402
                     
If it's any consolation to you, the umpire was fired from this year's Wimbledon.

Venus and Serena are sitting on top of the WORLD

~Venus and now Serena are the worst thing to ever happen to the crow~

Official POPLOCKER of the Royal Court
Bright Red is offline  
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Just_lindsay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 652
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelesFan70
An apology from whom? England? Wimbledon? Alan Mills? The umpire? Karolina?

Venus had every chance to win BOTH sets, but she didn't. She had every right to question, but she didn't. I wanted her to win, but she didn't.
She didn't win, but she didn't lose either. By the rules of the game, that match isn't complete until "K-Lina" wins her match point
Just_lindsay is offline  
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2004, 10:49 PM
Senior Member
 
thelittlestelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,393
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_lindsay
She didn't win, but she didn't lose either. By the rules of the game, that match isn't complete until "K-Lina" wins her match point
For some sick reason, that is a consolation for me :-P.

VENUSWILLIAMS

LINDSAYDAVENPORT MARTINAHINGIS SERENAWILLIAMS MONICASELES CHANDARUBIN DANIELAHANTUCHOVA JENNIFERCAPRIATI MARYPIERCE JELENADOKIC KIMCLIJSTERS ANNAKOURNIKOVA JILLCRAYBAS
thelittlestelf is offline  
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2004, 11:02 PM
Senior Member
 
mykarma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 30,477
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Red
If it's any consolation to you, the umpire was fired from this year's Wimbledon.
Do you think he was treated unfairly? Excuse me, but this is Wimbledon, on center court, during a tie break. He allowed something to happen that's never happened in the history of Wimbledon, or any other grandslam for that matter. It's not as though he has 20 things to think about during a match. Just keep the frigging score. If he's not capable of doing, that for what ever reason, he doesn't need to be up there.

This incident, along with his picture, has been played all over the world. I'm sure he's quite embrassed by it all. Maybe he decided not to umpire until this dies down.

I'd say he got off easily. If this happened during a match with Tim Henman, he'd never work at Wimbledon again. As a matter of fact, he'd probably have to leave England.
mykarma is offline  
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2004, 11:09 PM
country flag jrm
Senior Member
 
jrm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Velenje
Posts: 37,865
                     
Partially it was her fault as well not noticing the mistake!

Äre 2007 Downhill and GS GOLD: Aksel LUND SVINDAL (NOR) WC overall champion for 2006/07 and 2008/09; winner of 2 crystal globes in GS and SC
Val d’Isère 2009 SC GOLD and Super-G BRONZE
Vancouver 2010: Super-G GOLD, downhill SILVER, GS bronze
Current crushes: Johannes STRATE Tom BATEMAN Éric BRUNEAU Greyston HOLT David MIESMER Raphaël LENGLET Richard RANKIN Tom LEEB
jrm is offline  
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2004, 11:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: the sexy side of the colo
Posts: 3,402
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykarma
Do you think he was treated unfairly? Excuse me, but this is Wimbledon, on center court, during a tie break. He allowed something to happen that's never happened in the history of Wimbledon, or any other grandslam for that matter. It's not as though he has 20 things to think about during a match. Just keep the frigging score. If he's not capable of doing, that for what ever reason, he doesn't need to be up there.

This incident, along with his picture, has been played all over the world. I'm sure he's quite embrassed by it all. Maybe he decided not to umpire until this dies down.

I'd say he got off easily. If this happened during a match with Tim Henman, he'd never work at Wimbledon again. As a matter of fact, he'd probably have to leave England.
Please read my signature. I'm ecstatic that he was fired.

Venus and Serena are sitting on top of the WORLD

~Venus and now Serena are the worst thing to ever happen to the crow~

Official POPLOCKER of the Royal Court
Bright Red is offline  
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 2004, 11:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: usa
Posts: 1,447
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris whiteside
and no matter what anyone says the course of the tie break would have been different
Are you psychic or something?

Venus couldn't get it done at 6-3. So what makes you think she would have gotten it done at 6-2?

Venus couldn't convert on any of the 3 set points that she had, but you KNOW that she would have gotten the fourth one? Do tell.
cheesestix is offline  
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2004, 12:01 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: What Do You Care?
Posts: 1,570
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris whiteside
What might have happened we'll never know. But the result is history now.

I am humiliated and embarrassed that such a mistake (and no matter what anyone says the course of the tie break would have been different) could have been made in my own country by a professional umpire at one of the world's premier tournaments.

But I am hopping mad that with typical arrogance neither Wimbledon nor the umpire in question has said sorry to Venus for what was an elementary mistake.

Could an apology not be issued and then a line drawn under the whole affair?
even though i do think that she deserves an apology, she still could have stepped up and asked about the call. She could have questioned and then everything would have been fine, but she didn't

JUSTINE HENIN-HARDENNE (BEL)
World Ranking: 5
Race To The Championships: 2





BlinX is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome