Anna Kournikova gives up tennis to take sailing lessons in UK - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
~SunFlower~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 3,751
                     
Anna Kournikova gives up tennis to take sailing lessons in UK

Just kidding.... maybe it's a good sign that she is training in UK to prepare for grass season, but she is promoting her OMEGA watches ... I don't know..

http://editorial.****************/sou...935&print=true

http://editorial.****************/sou...936&print=true

http://editorial.****************/sou...933&print=true

~Sunflower~ is also known as Sharky

0011..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl

Last edited by Sharky; Jun 3rd, 2004 at 02:36 AM.
~SunFlower~ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
~SunFlower~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 3,751
                     







~Sunflower~ is also known as Sharky

0011..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
~SunFlower~ is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:46 AM
Senior Member
 
decemberlove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: My sin, my soul.
Posts: 10,491
                     
she has always done promotional work for omega . even when she was still playing tennis . which she certainly aint doing now or anytime soon it appears


....This is fucked up, fucked up....

This is your blind spot, blind spot.
It should be obvious, but it's not.

You cannot kickstart a dead horse
You just crush yourself and walk away
I don't care what the future holds
Cause I'm right here in your arms today
With your fingers you can touch me

I'll be your black swan, black swan
I'm for spare parts, broken up.




decemberlove is offline  
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:48 AM
A winner is me.
 
Andrew.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Victory Trail.
Posts: 11,118
                     
Once again, the chick is not ever returning to play professional tennis. Sorry.

Lindsay Davenport|Elena Bovina|Marissa Irvin|Tatiana Golovin|Mary Pierce|Sesil Karatantcheva|Cara Black|Clarisa Fernandez
Andrew. is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Far Away.
Posts: 5,263
                     
Non-Tennis... it's there for a reason.
- L i n a - is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: What Do You Care?
Posts: 1,570
                     
o wow, shes on a boat....big deal.....i do it too

JUSTINE HENIN-HARDENNE (BEL)
World Ranking: 5
Race To The Championships: 2





BlinX is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:06 AM
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie
 
ys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: always on the move
Posts: 22,155
                     
I honestly think that if one of Russians lifts the trophey in two days time, then already slim chances of Anna ever playing professionally again will instantly drop next to zero, because that will be an achievement she will never be able to match.

"..just knowing that as long as i choose life, there is hope."

Je ne suis pas charlie

PLAY TENNIS!
ys is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Far Away.
Posts: 5,263
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by ys
I honestly think that if one of Russians lifts the trophey in two days time, then already slim chances of Anna ever playing professionally again will instantly drop next to zero, because that will be an achievement she will never be able to match.
I disagree... Anna would still steal the limelight from Nastya or Elena if they won RG.
- L i n a - is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Far Away.
Posts: 5,263
                     
I don't think Anna really cares that the other Russian girls win though... we've seen before that she doesn't care about them in any way.
- L i n a - is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:51 AM
Senior Member
 
decemberlove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: My sin, my soul.
Posts: 10,491
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajangurl
yeah but i think what he's getting at, is that her ego won't be able to take it, she would never ever be the first Russian to... Btw, she is not coming back- her and the sponsors are just yanking the lil boys dicks...
nope . youre right . she definitely is not coming back . they seem to be doing a pretty good job with the yanking thou


....This is fucked up, fucked up....

This is your blind spot, blind spot.
It should be obvious, but it's not.

You cannot kickstart a dead horse
You just crush yourself and walk away
I don't care what the future holds
Cause I'm right here in your arms today
With your fingers you can touch me

I'll be your black swan, black swan
I'm for spare parts, broken up.




decemberlove is offline  
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 02:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Lucy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,389
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky
Just kidding.... maybe it's a good sign that she is training in UK to prepare for grass season
she's not coming back.

Last edited by Lucy; Jun 4th, 2004 at 08:58 AM.
Lucy is offline  
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:29 PM
Senior Member
 
the cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 17,358
                     
I have been Anna Kournikova since 1996 and I am thinking that at some point it should have been Anna making a grand slam final before Elena did. I am happy Elena has done it but Anna could have done it a few years ago if her career panned out differently. Anna looks to be in very good shape.

Happiness is like a cat. If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you. It will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing up against your legs and jumping into your lap. - William Bennett

http://cornedbeefhash.files.wordpres...arcelona08.jpg
the cat is offline  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 03:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: sailing my ship
Posts: 3,626
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by - L i n a -
I don't think Anna really cares that the other Russian girls win though... we've seen before that she doesn't care about them in any way.
I disagree with that point. She may not care about them, but she does care about being the top Russian and I think the other girls making a GS final and winning titles before she was able to make that accomplishment will really slam her ego. I have always thought there may be a tiny chance that Anna would come back to tennis, but if one of the Russian girls succeeds on Saturday, then I don't see her coming back at all.
apoet29 is offline  
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 06:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Leipzig
Posts: 367
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by ys
I honestly think that if one of Russians lifts the trophey in two days time, then already slim chances of Anna ever playing professionally again will instantly drop next to zero, because that will be an achievement she will never be able to match.
1st, IF Anna ever comes back, it will be for the love of the game, not because she feels the need to match achievements of others. Not because she feels the need to prove anything to anyone.

A character, who treats fans and press as she did, a character, who goes into court against its parents in public, a character, who deals with on-court disasters as US-Open 2001 1st Rd (Widjaja) and Melbourne 2002 2nd Rd (Henin) the way she did, a character, who doesn't appear for scheduled exhibition matches without announcement or statement ... clearly doesn't give a shit about others and their opinions.



2nd, watching todays semifinals (especially Suarez-Dementieva) and adding the disastrous performances in previous rounds, I wonder how anyone can come to the conclusion that any Top-30 player is able to go all the way in a Grand Slam tournament ...

... if the draw is okay, some opponents are injured, other opponents play like they are on drugs the day you face them on-court, some real dangerous top-players eleminate each other etc etc.

Losing is inevitable, Defeat impossible !
ALPHA is offline  
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 06:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: sailing my ship
Posts: 3,626
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPHA
1st, IF Anna ever comes back, it will be for the love of the game, not because she feels to match achievements of others. Not because she feels to prove anything to anyone.

A character, who treats fans and press as she did, a character, who goes into court against its parents in public, a character, who deals with on-court disasters as US-Open 2001 1st Rd (Widjaja) and Melbourne 2002 2nd Rd (Henin) the way she did, a character, who doesn't appear for scheduled exhibition matches without announcement or statement ... clearly doesn't give a shit about others and their opinions.



2nd, watching todays semifinals (especially Suarez-Dementieva) and adding the disastrous performances in previous rounds, I wonder how anyone can come to the conclusion that any Top-30 player is able to go all the way in a Grand Slam tournament ...

... if the draw is okay, some opponents are injured, other opponents play like they are on drugs the day you face them on-court, some real dangerous top-players eleminate each other etc etc.
If Anna does indeed return to tennis, it will not just be for love of the game. It will be because she feels like she has something to prove. It will be because she does not want to end her career with the word "loser" attached to her results. Luke Jensen, who was suppose to play doubles with Anna in Houston, stated that Anna was ultracompetitive and liked to win. He also stated that Anna took losses pretty hard and would get upset when attacked by the press. Case in point, summer of 2002. Anna played like crap most of the spring and after all the bad press she receives at Wimbledon, she suddenly plays like a women possessed during the summer hardcourt season. Coincidence? Possibly, but not probably. As much as she claims she doesn't care, I think subconsciously she really does care and I think she is scared to return to tennis after that disaster in Charlottesville.

Every tournament is about luck of the draw. Sadly, in watching Myskina and Dementieva make it to the finals, my first thought was that could have been Anna if only she would make an effort.
apoet29 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome