Wertheim´s best shots of all time
Who on the women's side, do you think had the best: 1) forehand, 2) backhand, 3) serve, 4) volley? I think Steffi Graf had the best forehand.
-- Ryan Kersop, London
I hate these questions because no matter what you write they trigger the inevitable flood of "You're an idiot! The [insert shot] of [insert player X] is way better than that of [insert player Y.]" But, by gum, Ryan Kersop wants answers, and who are we to deprive him? Let's limit this to the past 25 years or so. You know, to stave off Alice Marble's rabid horde of fans. Here goes:
1) Forehand. I'll give you Steffi Graf.
2) Backhand: Chris Evert. I would give Hingis some high marks here too. Both may have lacked blitzing pace, but they could go entire sets without missing.
3) Serve: We run into the age-old "historical sensitivity" issue (what if Martina Navratilova had used a titanium racket in her prime, blah blah, blah), but I think you have to go with the Williams sisters. Venus circa 2001 or Serena circa 2002. We know we shouldn't conflate them, but we're doing it anyway.
4) Volley: Navratilova. Without a doubt.
5) Return: Monica Seles. Wonder if there's ever been another player who took the ball so early?
Good list but I´d say Serena´s serve in 2002 was better than Venus´s 01 serve.