Well this is my first thread in this messageboard.
Well every year there seems to be major events and stories that happen. Ill just start with the recent years.
-Perhaps the biggest event is the return of Monica Seles on tour.
-Seles wins the Aussie Open, yet Steffi dominates the rest of the year in the Slams.
-We see the beginning of the maturity of someone by the name of Martina Hingis.
-Davenport wins the Olympic Medal and shows us the future that was soon to come.
-The Hingis Era begins and she dominates the whole year.
- Arrival of the Williams Sisters
-Hingis dominates early, though for the rest of the year we see a different person win every Grand Slam.
-A new #1 arises with the improved fitness of Lindsay Davenport.
- Hingis again dominates early, losses the French Open to Steffi Graf.
- Steffi Graf has as she describes the best summer of her career by also getting in the Wimbledon final.
- Steffi Graf retires with 22 Grand Slams, 378 weeks at #1, with the Golden Slam in her trophy case
- The Williams Sisters continue to improve, yet the world sees the younger Williams Serena realize her potential and wins the US open.
- Hingis and Davenport battle each other countless times in the beginning of the year.
- The older Williams sister now realizes her talents and wins both the Wimbledon and US open titles as well the Olympic gold. A new #1 arrives. She dominates the whole summer.
- Hingis has a record of 77-10, dominates the fall, but doesnt get the Player of the Year Award which goes to Venus Williams
- The Chase Championships holds the last match ever at Madison Square Garden.
- The rebirth of Jennifer Capriati happens with her win in the Aussie Open.
- The Hingis Era begins to dwindle, and the tennis world begins to doubt her ability to fight the upcoming players.
- Capriati continues with her win at the French.
- The Belgian Summer arrives with CLisjters getting to the French Final, and Justine with Wimbledon.
- Venus continues her domination at the lawns of Wimbledon
- US Open Final is held at Prime Time, first time ever in history with both Venus and Serena Williams in the final. Richard Williams prophecy begins, and the next year holds many of the same.
- Hingis has her own rebirth, but losses the Aussie final to Jennifer Capriati in one of the best comeback matches of all-time, denying the 4 championships Hingis had.
- The rest of year is dominated by one Person : Serena Williams. In every slam she wins in the year, she beats her bigger sister Venus. Venus' confidence and belief are started to be questioned.
- The fall brings about sad news with the retirement of one of the best players of all time : Martina Hingis. At 22, she leaves with 5 grand slam titles, all before the age of 19, 209 weeks at number one, as well as a trophy case with multiple doubles titles.
- Serena completes her Serena Slam, with beating Venus in the final again.
- The Belgians continue their moves, but one fights harder, Justine Henin-Hardenne. She wins the French, a journey which included a controversial match with Serena in the Semis.
- Serena wins Wimbledon over an injured big sister. After this final, the sisters wont play for the rest of the year due to injuries, and the death of their older sister in the fall.
- US open is a wide open field, but Justine continues her domination over Kim in the final. On her way to the title Justine defeats Capriati 4-6 7-5 7-6 in a match that lasted over 3 hours. The match is described as the best match since the semifinal of Seles-Capriati in 1991 in the US open semis.
- Justine again defeats Kim in the final of the Aussie Open. The tennis world wonders when Kim will win her first slam, or even is she will win one.
- Both Williams Sisters come back. Venus struggles, but Serena wins the NAsdaq in her first tournament back.
- Two words that describes the year so far : injuries and illnesses.
Well that took me awhile..hehe. I thought that these were the highlights of the years. If i had seemed to forget something, please add it to the list.