Which Venus Williams vs. Jennifer Capriati Match was the best? 4 to choose from - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2004, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Foot_Fault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Live with my Wife Venus!!
Posts: 8,776
                     
Which Venus Williams vs. Jennifer Capriati Match was the best? 4 to choose from

Although I am sure most of you will pick Miami 2001. I though a More COMPLETE match where they were both playing their best tennis together in the match at the same time was Pilot Pen 2001 Semi's.

I just dug that up last nite from my tape archive. I was nervous just looking at it..the match was decided on WINNERS. Great Serving, Great Returning, Great Shot Making, Great Defense, and thats just the First Set. LOL.

Both Gals where spot on and the Match could have went either way. But Venus won her 2nd match of that day, earlier she beat Justin Henin in the quarters in 3 sets and came out that SAME EVENING and beat Jennifer 6-4, 7-6(1)

They were both playing at such a HIGH LEVEL.

What was your favorite Venus/Jennifer Match up?

NOW TRENDING
#SEETHE
#SerenaSLAM

#YourFaveCouldNEVER
#TWENTYTWO
#StillSEETHING
#
Foot_Fault is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2004, 05:45 PM
blurring the lines between the real and the fake
 
V-MAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 25,105
                     
Miami 2001 gets my vote. It was by far the most dramatic with Jennifer (and almost all the audience) thinking she had won the match in the 3rd set tiebreak when she hit what she thought was a winning forehand.

V-MAC is offline  
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Senior Member
 
venusfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: New York City
Posts: 4,616
                     
Miami hands down:

It was great to see Venus fight off so many match points.

"I told her, `You don't want to get into a hitting battle with Sharapova, because it would be uneven for Sharapova, because Sharapova only has one good side and that's her backhand,"'. "`You don't want to get into that for the simple reason you would win. So try to hit some balls to her strong side, to her backhand, and that would help you with your match for tomorrow

Sir Richard Williams
venusfan is offline  
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2004, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Foot_Fault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Live with my Wife Venus!!
Posts: 8,776
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-MAC
Miami 2001 gets my vote. It was by far the most dramatic with Jennifer (and almost all the audience) thinking she had won the match in the 3rd set tiebreak when she hit what she thought was a winning forehand.
it was dramatic, but Vee will tell you she didn't play her best Tennis. she played good tennis. Have you ever Watched a match where both players are on? It's Serious stuff man. (i.e. Pete Sampras vs. Andre Agassi 2001 US Open Quarters or Chanda Rubin vs. Monica Seles Oz Open 1995 i think? Or Venus Williams vs. Martina Hingis 1999 Zurich Swisscom)
Those Matches come to mind where BOTH players are ON, and the match is decided on WInners not errors. Great matches to watch to me.

2001 Miami, Venus was spotty, then Cap fell apart, wasn't great tennis, was SUSPENSEFUL and EXCITING, but if you watch the 2001 Pilot Pen...it is to exciting..just ROCKET RALLIES.

NOW TRENDING
#SEETHE
#SerenaSLAM

#YourFaveCouldNEVER
#TWENTYTWO
#StillSEETHING
#
Foot_Fault is offline  
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Veelieve!!!
 
Infiniti2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 28,340
 
Definitely Nasdaq 100 2001. I was in the crowd My sunburn and loss of voice was well worth it. Goooooooooooooooo Venus


Love Trumps Hate
Infiniti2001 is offline  
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Senior Member
 
DA FOREHAND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 8,945
                     
2001 Us Open semi...especially the first set! V comes storming back from 1-4 down armed w/her mighty dtl backhand...

"Jennifer was right there and that backhand still blew by her!" -John Mac.

Also love the Acura Classic final (01?) Venus -v- Monica...Monica was on fire beating Cappy and Hingis in straights and playing well in the final but had no answers for Venus.

"Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated" - George Bernard Shaw




"And for the best of the teen-agers who followed her, and who occasionally referred to her as over the hill, Graf had a ready answer: against top-ranked Martina Hingis, Graf wound up 7-2. Graf's stirring 4-6, 7-5, 6-2 throttling of Hingis at the French Open final this June was perhaps the most emphatic parting shot the game has ever seen. "


DA FOREHAND is offline  
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2004, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Foot_Fault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Live with my Wife Venus!!
Posts: 8,776
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA FOREHAND
2001 Us Open semi...especially the first set! V comes storming back from 1-4 down armed w/her mighty dtl backhand...

"Jennifer was right there and that backhand still blew by her!" -John Mac.

Also love the Acura Classic final (01?) Venus -v- Monica...Monica was on fire beating Cappy and Hingis in straights and playing well in the final but had no answers for Venus.
US OPEN, it was a good first set, then Jenn Self Destructed and had no answers for Vee...but that Shot was Laser! Venus' backhand was on that day.

NOW TRENDING
#SEETHE
#SerenaSLAM

#YourFaveCouldNEVER
#TWENTYTWO
#StillSEETHING
#
Foot_Fault is offline  
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Mrs. Peel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,824
 
MIAMI is definitely my favorite! I still get chills watching this match! Venus gutted it out and I am still shocked that she won each time I watch it! Venus had to keep cool against not only her tenacious opponent but the crowd and the searing heat! I remember almost giving up and turning off the VCR! I was sooo on edge! I'm glad I didn't punk out and stop recording. I would have lost one of the most classic matches of Miss Venus!

I do love the Pilot Pen victories...I have all three matches on one tape. Venus was just amazing that week. She showed why she is the fucking Venus Williams!!! She left me
Mrs. Peel is offline  
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Senior Member
 
DA FOREHAND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 8,945
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot_Fault
US OPEN, it was a good first set, then Jenn Self Destructed and had no answers for Vee...but that Shot was Laser! Venus' backhand was on that day.
I guess it's a matter of perception....I thought Venus blew her up...u think Jen blew herself up...."Nothing like having the fight beat outta ya."-Sophia

"Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated" - George Bernard Shaw




"And for the best of the teen-agers who followed her, and who occasionally referred to her as over the hill, Graf had a ready answer: against top-ranked Martina Hingis, Graf wound up 7-2. Graf's stirring 4-6, 7-5, 6-2 throttling of Hingis at the French Open final this June was perhaps the most emphatic parting shot the game has ever seen. "


DA FOREHAND is offline  
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: yAkUlt lAnd
Posts: 1,334
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-MAC
Miami 2001 gets my vote. It was by far the most dramatic with Jennifer (and almost all the audience) thinking she had won the match in the 3rd set tiebreak when she hit what she thought was a winning forehand.

I dont think that Jen had any mps in the tie break, it was 7/6 (4)
7~LV3 is offline  
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2004, 06:15 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 27,280
 
Oh definitely Miami.

It's the only time JenCap has every really looked like she might actually beat Venus.
Kart is offline  
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Senior Member
 
WF4EVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: The West Indies
Posts: 2,069
                     
I really, really enjoyed the 01USO Semi to see Vee storm back from 0-3 to win that set with some great backhands. Mary Carillo had already called Capriati's win and said she'd be No. 1 come Monday. Cliff said "If she wins". For that part alone I could watch that match over and over. Venus really opened up a clinic after 1-4. In the second set although she struggled on serve and also failed to break JC with three bps in hand, she still won impressively. And she had a cold.

Miami, well Miami is undoubtedly in a class by itself; kinda makes me think of Vee playing Henin in the Amelia Island Final. So much drama! It wreaks havoc on your nerves, man! She does!

The PPQF vs JC wasn't too bad but it was riddled with errors and breaks of serve. I was mad at Vee for losing her serve all the time but the feat she accomplished that weekend was truly amazing, beating Henin and JC on the same day and then taking down a well-rested Davenport (who had the luck of Clijsters forfeiting) in the final. I loved her winning point on bp in that second set at 4-4, then her match point. Venus is truly a thrill to watch.
WF4EVER is offline  
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2004, 06:19 PM
Senior Member
 
DA FOREHAND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Washington D.C.
Posts: 8,945
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by WF4EVER
I really, really enjoyed the 01USO Semi to see Vee storm back from 0-3 to win that set with some great backhands. Mary Carillo had already called Capriati's win and said she'd be No. 1 come Monday. Cliff said "If she wins". For that part alone I could watch that match over and over. Venus really opened up a clinic after 1-4. In the second set although she struggled on serve and also failed to break JC with three bps in hand, she still won impressively. And she had a cold.

Miami, well Miami is undoubtedly in a class by itself; kinda makes me think of Vee playing Henin in the Amelia Island Final. So much drama! It wreaks havoc on your nerves, man! She does!

The PPQF vs JC wasn't too bad but it was riddled with errors and breaks of serve. I was mad at Vee for losing her serve all the time but the feat she accomplished that weekend was truly amazing, beating Henin and JC on the same day and then taking down a well-rested Davenport (who had the luck of Clijsters forfeiting) in the final. I loved her winning point on bp in that second set at 4-4, then her match point. Venus is truly a thrill to watch.
She had a cold and had won Pilot Pen a few days earlier w/the same cold beating Cappy/justine/Lindsay..in a 24hr span!

"Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated" - George Bernard Shaw




"And for the best of the teen-agers who followed her, and who occasionally referred to her as over the hill, Graf had a ready answer: against top-ranked Martina Hingis, Graf wound up 7-2. Graf's stirring 4-6, 7-5, 6-2 throttling of Hingis at the French Open final this June was perhaps the most emphatic parting shot the game has ever seen. "


DA FOREHAND is offline  
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2004, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Foot_Fault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Live with my Wife Venus!!
Posts: 8,776
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA FOREHAND
I guess it's a matter of perception....I thought Venus blew her up...u think Jen blew herself up...."Nothing like having the fight beat outta ya."-Sophia
I did say she had no answers for Vee...but yeah...she wasn't as competitve and gave up b/c she had no answers...mentally self destructing.

NOW TRENDING
#SEETHE
#SerenaSLAM

#YourFaveCouldNEVER
#TWENTYTWO
#StillSEETHING
#
Foot_Fault is offline  
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Senior Member
 
LucasArg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 16,319
                     
I also choose Miami, it was so heartbreaker! I remember Vee saving al those match points!

VENUS WILLIAMS
SERENA WILLIAMS
PAULA ORMAECHEA
LucasArg is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome