Has Anyone Else Noticed.... - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2004, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 334
 
Has Anyone Else Noticed....

...VENUS'S SECOND SERVE LATELY?? It looks like she is making a lot more first serves, but hitting them in the 110's in stead of the 120's, and moving them around the box more. I wondered why she did not hit her first serve down the middle more often, looks like she is doing that now. Her second serves are consistantly above 80mph. I'm not sure what the fed cup stats were, but she does not double fault as much as she used to. Good signs for her! Venus needs to keep doing this, consistancy will come after a little time. I love what i'm seeing from venus this will definately help her in the immediate future. GO VENUS!! I'M STILL VERY PROUD OF YOU!!

".. IF U WANT TO BE PROFOUND! IF U REALLY NEED TO JUSTIFY! TAKE A BREATH AND LOOK AROUND..A LOT OF FOLKS DESERVE TO DIE!!"-AUDREY II
GANGSTABACKHAND! is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2004, 04:49 PM
blurring the lines between the real and the fake
 
V-MAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 24,372
                     
well venus did say after her 2nd round match against reeves in Charleston that she was working on new elements in her game in that match.I guess she was referring to her serve. glad to see that her whole game is coming together right now (at last!!). She should be in peak form by the French Open
V-MAC is offline  
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2004, 04:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Knizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 21,737
                     
She was hitting her second serves between 85-95 most times at Charleston. She has really worked on that within the past year. Now her first serve is better because of that. The pressure is off some on her second serve because she strives to make it a weapon. When you don't worry about hitting a second serve, it takes pressure off your first serve.
Knizzle is offline  
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Paneru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 22,129
                     
Quote:
Williams feels like her reputation took a bit of hit in Miami, when Dementieva climbed all over her fluttering second serve. When Venus was at her peak, she cracked 95-mph plus second serves that truly bit. If she's to be a top player again, she needs to rediscover that weapon in a big way.

"The match against Dementieva, my second serve was really off," she said. "I said, 'Never again, V. If your going to miss, you're going to miss going crazy, doing it all.' It is a weapon."

With each passing year, most players mentally mature and see their games in different lights. Venus prefers not to dwell on her glory years of 2000 and 2001, or on her stint as No. 1. But she's realizes that she was a more aggressive player then and was more confident going for her shots at closing time, but she likes the 2004 version of V a whole lot more.

"That's was a different time and I'm actually a better player now," Williams said. "I look at those tapes and I know I could beat [myself then]. I just have to get into the shape to do it."
Paneru is offline  
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
esquímaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: 釜を掘&
Posts: 15,247
                     
It looks to me like she's keeping he head up on her serves as of late. She's been known to cock it to the side

"誰も私を止める停が出来なかったか"
- Jinpachi Mishima
- Jedah Douma
"恐れてはいけない. 私は最初であり, 最後である"
esquímaux is offline  
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Senior Member
 
tennisIlove09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 44,073
                     
Because she's finally going back to the 2001 days. Who knows what happened between the 01 Open and now (hmm...well, I think we all know what happened)
tennisIlove09 is offline  
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2004, 05:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Paneru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 22,129
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisIlove09
Because she's finally going back to the 2001 days. Who knows what happened between the 01 Open and now (hmm...well, I think we all know what happened)
And that is...?
Paneru is offline  
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2004, 05:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Foot_Fault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Live with my Wife Venus!!
Posts: 8,622
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisIlove09
Because she's finally going back to the 2001 days. Who knows what happened between the 01 Open and now (hmm...well, I think we all know what happened)
I disagree. I totally see the Different Elements of Vee's game and that is (finding a way to end the point at net). Not a serve and vollyer, more of a closer, Deep, Apporach, Volly seems to be the game she's looking for and constructing. She's a baseliner, but she's realizing shortballs will NOT survive on her court. The Venus of 2000-2002 wanted to beat you from the back of the court, much flashier and power tennis. Venus of 2004 have been mixing up the pace, getting Lower on her shots, and Placing the ball where she want it where the anticipation is spot on(most of the time). I've been watching her 2nd serve speeds and yeah...Mid 80's and 90's. She's totally evolved her game. her footwork and speed has and will always be there, her Approach game has picked up considerably.

Keep striving and moving forward Queen V!

NOW TRENDING
#SEETHE
#SerenaSLAM

#YourFaveCouldNEVER
#TWENTYONE
#StillSEETHING
#
Foot_Fault is offline  
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Knizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 21,737
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisIlove09
Because she's finally going back to the 2001 days. Who knows what happened between the 01 Open and now (hmm...well, I think we all know what happened)
Shut up about the 2001 days. She was better in 2002 and 2003 then she was in 2001 and she is EVEN better in 2004. She lost in 2002 and 2003 because Serena played BETTER!! Wrap your psyche around that fact.
Knizzle is offline  
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Senior Member
 
tennisIlove09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 44,073
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knizzle
Shut up about the 2001 days. She was better in 2002 and 2003 then she was in 2001 and she is EVEN better in 2004. She lost in 2002 and 2003 because Serena played BETTER!! Wrap your psyche around that fact.
for the last time, had Serena beaten Venus while Venus was playing at her best fine, Serena is better. But Venus wasn't any where near her best against Serena. Go figure.

And if you think Venus was serving BETTER in 02/03 then you haven't seen her 00/01 days.
tennisIlove09 is offline  
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 3,087
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot_Fault
I disagree. I totally see the Different Elements of Vee's game and that is (finding a way to end the point at net). Not a serve and vollyer, more of a closer, Deep, Apporach, Volly seems to be the game she's looking for and constructing. She's a baseliner, but she's realizing shortballs will NOT survive on her court. The Venus of 2000-2002 wanted to beat you from the back of the court, much flashier and power tennis. Venus of 2004 have been mixing up the pace, getting Lower on her shots, and Placing the ball where she want it where the anticipation is spot on(most of the time). I've been watching her 2nd serve speeds and yeah...Mid 80's and 90's. She's totally evolved her game. her footwork and speed has and will always be there, her Approach game has picked up considerably.

Keep striving and moving forward Queen V!
I totally agree with Foot Fault here, her game has evolved. She doesn't look like the old Venus on court, but a new and improved Venus. I think Serena better watch out, because Venus has a lot of confidence and is doing a lot more with her game. She has more variety, she is more aggressive in coming to the net, her volleys are almost textbook perfect, her second serves are deep in the box and have a kick, she is getting her first serves in a whole lot more and she has cut down on her UFE's considerably. She looks great.
DeDe4925 is offline  
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2004, 05:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: florida
Posts: 24,503
                     
I honestly feel that Venus played the role of Big Sister and chief Serena cheerleader in '02. From that infamous bag incident where Venus had to withdraw from the IO to Venus' lackadaisacal play in the FO(=) final against Serena. We won't even talk about that semifinal that she lost to Serena in Miami that year. (Venus completely phoned that one in too).

Wimbledon(=) of '02 is when they started playing for both to win. Serena was better there, @ the USOpen and @ the Aussie Open. I'm sure Venus would've won @ Wimbledon(=) last year if she had not been injured.

-one of those "bad" Williams fans that everyone keeps talking about


OFFICIAL BLACKSMITH OF THE ROYAL COURT

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public!
Pureracket is offline  
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Senior Member
 
tennisIlove09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 44,073
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pureracket
I honestly feel that Venus played the role of Big Sister and chief Serena cheerleader in '02. From that infamous bag incident where Venus had to withdraw from the IO to Venus' lackadaisacal play in the FO(=) final against Serena. We won't even talk about that semifinal that she lost to Serena in Miami that year. (Venus completely phoned that one in too).

Wimbledon(=) of '02 is when they started playing for both to win. Serena was better there, @ the USOpen and @ the Aussie Open. I'm sure Venus would've won @ Wimbledon(=) last year if she had not been injured.
(although I disagree about the OZ...Venus was the better player throughout the event, but I don't think she could prevent Serena from that history)
tennisIlove09 is offline  
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2004, 05:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Knizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 21,737
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisIlove09
for the last time, had Serena beaten Venus while Venus was playing at her best fine, Serena is better. But Venus wasn't any where near her best against Serena. Go figure.

And if you think Venus was serving BETTER in 02/03 then you haven't seen her 00/01 days.
Venus doesn't play every match at her best if you hadn't noticed. No one does. It's not like Serena played spectacular tennis against Venus everytime. I watched everything unfold for Venus in 00/01. You are not the "Ultimate Venus Williams Fan" like you act like around here. Other people know Venus just as well or better than you. Venus served fine in 02 and 03 before her injury. I agree she served a bit above that level in 01, especially at Wimbledon.
Knizzle is offline  
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Senior Member
 
tennisIlove09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 44,073
                     
in 2000/2001 (especially 01) Vee's second serve was not a weakness. It just wasn't. Then after the 01 Open, her second serve is a weakness??? Clearly something happened. The only logical explaination is the win over Serena. More proof is how she played (or lack there of) against Serena for the rest of the year.
tennisIlove09 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome