Serena!!! - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
lizchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Bergen County
Posts: 20,943
                     
Talking Serena!!!

She wins her first tournament back from injury in one of the worst finals ever in Key Biscayne. She drubbed Elena Dementieva 6-1, 6-1.
lizchris is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:07 PM
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie
 
ys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: always on the move
Posts: 22,171
                     
Awesome match by Serena. Everything just clicked for her today. Every time it looked like Elena is trying to do something Serena would catch a line or corner and that was really demoralizing for Elena.

Elena really was a pale shadow of herself. And serve was a relatively small problem. She was missing tons of her bread-and-butter shots, so uncharacteristically, I don't seem to remember her ever missing so many groundstrokes and it is not that she had to handle too much of pace from Serena, against Venus she had to deal with more pace - it is just that her feet were not moving at all today. That, I think, what lost her the match - nerves - that she was petrified and could not make herself move. Of course, serve contributed too. But that will be good lesson for Elena and Olga nonetheless. They'll be back strong.

And congrats Serena! You are awesome!

"..just knowing that as long as i choose life, there is hope."

Je ne suis pas charlie

PLAY TENNIS!
ys is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 45,119
                     
No....it was just that she faced my return and with that serve, you ain´t beating Serena. SIMPLE!!

Always bet on black!
Can you handle the truth?
The truth:
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
22 majors:6376


Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline  
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:10 PM
Senior Member
 
DemWilliamsGulls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 4,840
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizchris
She wins her first tournament back from injury in one of the worst finals ever in Key Biscayne. She drubbed Elena Dementieva 6-1, 6-1.
DID SHE!!!! Man i was like...somebody please rescue elena off the court. On the real..Elena has some potential to be tough...that serve was her problem. But SERENA...GOod lawed...she handed a L elena in the worst way. SHE BACK lil chriz...she's back

Venus and Serena ....Often imitated NEVER duplicated!!!!!!!
DemWilliamsGulls is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
lizchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Bergen County
Posts: 20,943
                     
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemWilliamsGulls
DID SHE!!!! Man i was like...somebody please rescue elena off the court. On the real..Elena has some potential to be tough...that serve was her problem. But SERENA...GOod lawed...she handed a L elena in the worst way. SHE BACK lil chriz...she's back
I was starting to feel sorry for Elena but then I remembered what she said about Venus faking her injury and I came back to earth.
lizchris is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:17 PM
country flag SJW
Senior Member
 
SJW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Allez
Posts: 11,016
                     
i was so close to crying.....i'm so happy for her
SJW is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Kabezya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,456
                     
I wish the match had been more competitive. I do feel bad for Elena because no one wants to play a final like that and the main problem was her serve. Elena should give her coach more time and more to work with to fix that serve.

Anyway, I'm happy Serena won, but I'm waiting for the top 5 players in the world to present a bigger challenge so Serena can see where she is at and where she isn't and all that jazz.

Congrats babygirl!

Serena's Inner Circle
Kabezya is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:24 PM
Senior Member
 
selesfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,162
                     
Congrats Serena
selesfan is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: London, UK
Posts: 8,360
                     
Serena is back with a vengeance, now the fun truly starts

Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.

Maya Angelou


* Amanda * Brianna * Dan * Esther * Joy * Marco * Nate * Philippe * raquel * Sarah * Shane * Torrance * Veronica






Proud member of The Sinitta Fan Club!




OUT! is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:26 PM
Senior Member
 
WhatTheDeuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 34,432
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by ys
Awesome match by Serena. Everything just clicked for her today. Every time it looked like Elena is trying to do something Serena would catch a line or corner and that was really demoralizing for Elena.

Elena really was a pale shadow of herself. And serve was a relatively small problem. She was missing tons of her bread-and-butter shots, so uncharacteristically, I don't seem to remember her ever missing so many groundstrokes and it is not that she had to handle too much of pace from Serena, against Venus she had to deal with more pace - it is just that her feet were not moving at all today. That, I think, what lost her the match - nerves - that she was petrified and could not make herself move. Of course, serve contributed too. But that will be good lesson for Elena and Olga nonetheless. They'll be back strong.

And congrats Serena! You are awesome!
If you don't think her serve was a big problem, I think you have a few problems.
WhatTheDeuce is offline  
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Mrs. Peel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,824
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machu Picchu
I wish the match had been more competitive. I do feel bad for Elena because no one wants to play a final like that and the main problem was her serve. Elena should give her coach more time and more to work with to fix that serve.

Anyway, I'm happy Serena won, but I'm waiting for the top 5 players in the world to present a bigger challenge so Serena can see where she is at and where she isn't and all that jazz.

Congrats babygirl!
I was hoping for Elena to step it up. I know she has it in her, she plays eons better than that. It looked like when she broke that she was on a momentum but then....I didn't expect nor want to see such a match but...

CONGRATS SERENA!!!
Mrs. Peel is offline  
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:31 PM
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie
 
ys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: always on the move
Posts: 22,171
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by monicAnna
If you don't think her serve was a big problem, I think you have a few problems.
What I tried to say is that her serve was not any worse than it usually is. It's just that this time it has not been backed up by her ground game at all. And that was the key difference.

"..just knowing that as long as i choose life, there is hope."

Je ne suis pas charlie

PLAY TENNIS!
ys is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 880
                     
Serena, you make us fans proud!!!! Congrats!!!! She won today "Steffi-Style"....

STEFWHIT'S MILLATARY RANKS:
The Commander In Chief: Steffi Graf
General: Serena Williams
Admiral: Kim Clijsters
Lieutenant General: Elena Dementieva
Major General: Myskina


nominees for Brigadier General:
Venus, Golovin, Lindsay, Petrova, and Pierce
Stefwhit is offline  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 45,119
                     
What, what?! Anybody expected any different?!

Always bet on black!
Can you handle the truth?
The truth:
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
22 majors:6376


Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Kabezya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,456
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Peel
I was hoping for Elena to step it up. I know she has it in her, she plays eons better than that. It looked like when she broke that she was on a momentum but then....I didn't expect nor want to see such a match but...

CONGRATS SERENA!!!
Yeah, it's wasn't a fun match to watch. I'm glad Serena won, but Elena gave her nothing to work against. I'm glad Serena is back, but I want better players for her to match up her return up with. Either way, she won and I'm very happy with how she's progressed.

Serena's Inner Circle
Kabezya is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome