Originally Posted by skyrocket
Even though the yelling is entertaining, I agree with you.
Who do you think will win the final?
I want to preface my opinion with the fact that I am reposting my opinion from another thread and I called Elena, "Demented". Not to bash her, but because I really thought that was her nickname. I thought I saw some of her fans call her that. I may be wrong. Anyway, it's not meant to bash her. I don't want to start a fight or be in another one. With that said, here's my opinion. Feel free to comment
Serena has the best serve on the tour, even with an 8 month lay-off. She mixes up her serves and they are hard to return, unlike Venus and Petrova. She can place her serves in any place on the court she wants. It's not the speed of the serve, but the accuracy and pace. If Serena's serve is on, it's curtains for Demented.
Demented should not try to go toe to toe with Serena at the baseline, because she will lose. Serena thrives on balls with weight and pace. Her speed is better than Petrova's and is as good as any of the Top 10 now, including Demented and if Demented doesn't try to slice, drop or angle the ball toward the alley, they are just going to sit up for Serena to smack them down the line. So, whoever said she keeps her balls inside, better hope she doesn't, especially if Serena keeps her pinned behind the baseline off the pace of her balls and Serena gets some short balls.
As far as returns, Serena will pounce on those 65-70 mile an hour balls and Demented won't even get a chance to play. Lastly Serena is pissed about (1) her beating her sister and (2) the insult toward Venus after.
Right now Serena has the most motivation and intimidation factor in her favor.
Motivation factors include:
(1) it's her first tournament back and she has something to prove;
(2) she's hungry;
(3) she's going for a three-peat at a big Tier 1;
(4) Demented beat Venus; and
(5) she's pissed at Demented for what she said yesterday.
Intimidation factors include:
(1) She has only lost one set in a Tier 1 going into the finals after an 8 month layoff and she's beating women who've been playing on the tour for 8 months;
(2) she has a large presence on the court;
(3) Demented has never beaten her;
(4) her serve has been out of this world in this tournament when she needed it to be;
(5) she's a former No.1 and left the tour 8 months ago as No. 1 and holder of all four grand slams, plus two; and
(6) she's Serena Williams.
The only way Serena will lose this title is if she (1) doesn't show up; or (2) gets injured; or (3) totally collapses mentally.
Go Babygirl Go!!!
Serena in two.