Why Serena Williams WILL NOT LOSE Saturday's Final Against Elena Dementieva - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Among The Greats
Posts: 40,064
                     
Why Serena Williams WILL NOT LOSE Saturday's Final Against Elena Dementieva

I know that Serena will win on Saturday.

Not because of stupid jinxes

Not because of my profile name

Not because I think she's the best player on tour

Not because I know she has more fire than anyone (even Justine)

Not becuase she's going for a piece of history, and joining Steffi Graf in another elite stat group

...but BECAUSE CONSISTENTLY, SERENA HAS PLAYED BETTER TENNIS THAN DEMENTIEVA.

Look beyond your personal preferences and see that the stats clearly show that Serena will be the victor on Saturday afternoon.

I agree with many of you that Serena will win, but let me share some stats with all of you that you may not have known.....

Serena (through 5 matches) -averages 6.2 aces per match
Dementieva (through 5 matches) -3 total

Serena (...) -averages 1.8 Doubles per match
Dementieva (...) -averages 9.6

Serena (...) -averages a winners/unforced differential of +5.6 per match
Elena (...) -averages -8

During Elena's 3 Set Tie-break victory over Venus (while serving for the set @ 5-4 and being broken at love), Venus hit 51 unforced errors, Serena has never hit more than 34, also, Venus had 11 doubles faults, Serena's hit, at most, 4.

There's no way that Elena can possibly beat Serena, she has the serve, the ground strokes, the return game, and the x-factor: she belives and KNOWS that she'll win.

My pic: Serena in two, in less than 90 minutes
MrSerenaWilliams is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:41 PM
Senior Member
 
tennisIlove09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 44,073
                     
I'd be surprised if Dementieva held more than three times.
tennisIlove09 is offline  
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 45,119
                     
Too many intagibles going on for Serena really.....and you picked them up nicely. The serve is gonna be toooo huge for Dementieva and Serena is the best returner out there. Donīt see her getting fooled like Venus was. Interesting really to see how it pans out.

Always bet on black!
Can you handle the truth?
The truth:
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
22 majors:6376


Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline  
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:07 AM
 
Tratree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posts: 2,310
                     
Stats are nice, but there is a reason they actually PLAY matches. You never know what can happen in a match. Obviously Serena is highly favored and probably will win, but you can't say for certainty.
Tratree is offline  
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 4,096
                     
anything could happen - Petrova had similar stats but tiredness, nerves, the wind, or Dementieva beat her in 2 and Serena's 6-4 6-4 SF score was hardly overwhelming.
fammmmedspin is offline  
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Bezz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: England
Posts: 3,370
                     
Like stats mean anything . Serena is the favourite to win but that doesnt mean she definitley will. Deal with it.

The next big thing: Voegele
Bezz is offline  
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:26 AM
Senior Member
 
antonella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Del Boca Vista Estates
Posts: 2,862
                     
It's interesting that you phrase it will not lose rather than shall win. It's almost as if not losing is more important than winning.

"I can resist anything except temptation" - Oscar Wilde
antonella is offline  
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Among The Greats
Posts: 40,064
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by fammmmedspin
anything could happen - Petrova had similar stats but tiredness, nerves, the wind, or Dementieva beat her in 2 and Serena's 6-4 6-4 SF score was hardly overwhelming.
In Petrova's loss to Dementieva, she had more than double the unforced errors of her previous match while Serena has remained constant at a reasonalbly level amount of unforced per match. I do agree that Serena could have an off day and Elena could be on, but the chances of Serena being that off are unlikely. Moreover, look at the MOTIVATION of Serena, she was on a quest for four slams in a row, and TWO TIMES faced elimination, but her DRIVE, DETERMINATION and overall MENTAL TOUGHNESS pulled her through. That's why Serena will win, because she has been able to put all that has happened to her in the last eight months behind her and play good tennis.
MrSerenaWilliams is offline  
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:37 AM
Senior Member
 
LindsayRocks89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: united states
Posts: 3,384
                     
I agree with everything you said mrserenawilliams
LindsayRocks89 is offline  
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Bezz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: England
Posts: 3,370
                     
I am gonna so love it when she loses, not becuase i dont like serena or want her to lose, but serena fans do exactly the same as venus ones, expect her to do so much, when really at this stage yu should be glad she is back up and healthy. I do expect her to win but i am not just gonna count out Elena as if she isnt even a factor in this, she just beat venus for the first time in a WTA event and just knocked out nadi who owned a 5-1 h-t-h record over her, she can play tennis aswell. I really hope it's a good match whether serena wins or not, nothing is certain to happen remember that .

The next big thing: Voegele
Bezz is offline  
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:48 AM
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie
 
ys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: always on the move
Posts: 22,171
                     
Blah..

"..just knowing that as long as i choose life, there is hope."

Je ne suis pas charlie

PLAY TENNIS!
ys is offline  
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hobe Sound, FL
Posts: 1,401
                     
I also think Serena will win, but you have to look back to Family Circle Cup 2002.

Serena vs Patti Shnyder (sp). Serena came out on fire winning the first set 6-1, then something happened and Serena became impatient with Patti's off speed balls, then lost the match in three sets.

Serena has a history of problems with players that throw up "junk", but usually only once. Callens, and others have shook her up in the first match they played, then got zapped from then on.
VS Fan is offline  
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Among The Greats
Posts: 40,064
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindsayRocks89
I agree with everything you said mrserenawilliams

Thank you! At least someone does! You rock "LindsayRocks89"
MrSerenaWilliams is offline  
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 3,087
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrserenawilliams
I know that Serena will win on Saturday.

Not because of stupid jinxes

Not because of my profile name

Not because I think she's the best player on tour

Not because I know she has more fire than anyone (even Justine)

Not becuase she's going for a piece of history, and joining Steffi Graf in another elite stat group

...but BECAUSE CONSISTENTLY, SERENA HAS PLAYED BETTER TENNIS THAN DEMENTIEVA.

Look beyond your personal preferences and see that the stats clearly show that Serena will be the victor on Saturday afternoon.

I agree with many of you that Serena will win, but let me share some stats with all of you that you may not have known.....

Serena (through 5 matches) -averages 6.2 aces per match
Dementieva (through 5 matches) -3 total

Serena (...) -averages 1.8 Doubles per match
Dementieva (...) -averages 9.6

Serena (...) -averages a winners/unforced differential of +5.6 per match
Elena (...) -averages -8

During Elena's 3 Set Tie-break victory over Venus (while serving for the set @ 5-4 and being broken at love), Venus hit 51 unforced errors, Serena has never hit more than 34, also, Venus had 11 doubles faults, Serena's hit, at most, 4.

There's no way that Elena can possibly beat Serena, she has the serve, the ground strokes, the return game, and the x-factor: she belives and KNOWS that she'll win.

My pic: Serena in two, in less than 90 minutes
DeDe4925 is offline  
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 3,087
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrserenawilliams
In Petrova's loss to Dementieva, she had more than double the unforced errors of her previous match while Serena has remained constant at a reasonalbly level amount of unforced per match. I do agree that Serena could have an off day and Elena could be on, but the chances of Serena being that off are unlikely. Moreover, look at the MOTIVATION of Serena, she was on a quest for four slams in a row, and TWO TIMES faced elimination, but her DRIVE, DETERMINATION and overall MENTAL TOUGHNESS pulled her through. That's why Serena will win, because she has been able to put all that has happened to her in the last eight months behind her and play good tennis.
DeDe4925 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome