explain what a 'Real Tennis Fan' is - TennisForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2004, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 452
                     
explain what a 'Real Tennis Fan' is

What does this term mean, ‘Real Tennis Fan’? You often here it, Oh he/she’s a real tennis fan having her/him as his/hers favorite.

I only watch the matches for the bevy of beauties that play the game (even badly)

When did it all become so tired and tedious, all about forehands/backhands/volleys/slam titles/points/ Tier 1,2,3’s/ Rankings/ court surfaces/ Red satin trousers?
emptyhead is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Team WTAworld
Senior Member
 
Martian Willow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Below the stars.
Posts: 6,695
                     
...surely a Real Tennis Fan is a Fan of Real Tennis, like what Henry XIII used to play when he wasn't beheading his wives...?
Martian Willow is offline  
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Senior Member
 
skanky~skanketta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Not paradise thats fo sho
Posts: 15,459
                     
a real tennis fan is one that loves the sport simply for the sport. not the players.

skanky~skanketta is offline  
post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2004, 08:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 10,797
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by *^*ShowgirL*^*
a real tennis fan is one that loves the sport simply for the sport. not the players.
Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Which is why it just gets me that some people will only follow one or two tennis players and say heck with the rest.

For instance, tomorrow, Russia's Maria Kirilenko will face Nicole Pratt of Australia, each for I believe their first WTA title. Now, I would not exactly call either my fave, but I would totally love to be in India to watch those two go at it, or least be able to watch it on tv.

I will watch anybody because I love tennis and can say its the only sport I am diehard about.

But tennis is not different then any sport I guess. In baseball, basketball and hockey I tend to only root for the Socalif teams and when they are out of the playoffs lose interest.

So I don't call myself a diehard fan of those sports.

Either way in, if it were not for those other tennis players our "faves" would be nothing......
Jakeev is offline  
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2004, 08:21 PM
Senior Member
 
faboozadoo15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: united states
Posts: 22,292
                     
i agree with jakeev. i now know that im a real tennis fan now that monica has been out so long and ive still really enjoyed watching whoever it is playing.
faboozadoo15 is offline  
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 212
         
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelia E
What does this term mean, ‘Real Tennis Fan’? You often here it, Oh he/she’s a real tennis fan having her/him as his/hers favorite.

I only watch the matches for the bevy of beauties that play the game (even badly)

When did it all become so tired and tedious, all about forehands/backhands/volleys/slam titles/points/ Tier 1,2,3’s/ Rankings/ court surfaces/ Red satin trousers?
yes, why all about the points and titles, why dont they just play exhibition matches and travel around the world, tennis is all about competition, and what makes competition fun? points, titles, tier fields, rankings, surfaces, techniques, that's why i dont like those sissy exhibies, anyways, who ever gets the #1 ranking is the best in the world, and that's what the competition is about.
MH-forever is offline  
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2004, 08:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 21,972
                     
great post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeev
Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Which is why it just gets me that some people will only follow one or two tennis players and say heck with the rest.

For instance, tomorrow, Russia's Maria Kirilenko will face Nicole Pratt of Australia, each for I believe their first WTA title. Now, I would not exactly call either my fave, but I would totally love to be in India to watch those two go at it, or least be able to watch it on tv.

I will watch anybody because I love tennis and can say its the only sport I am diehard about.

But tennis is not different then any sport I guess. In baseball, basketball and hockey I tend to only root for the Socalif teams and when they are out of the playoffs lose interest.

So I don't call myself a diehard fan of those sports.

Either way in, if it were not for those other tennis players our "faves" would be nothing......
great post!

Vassilissa is my girl............
tenn_ace is offline  
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Senior Member
 
croat123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 31,506
                     
real tennis fan = sprem fan(atic)

ugh, why do they all suck????????
croat123 is offline  
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2004, 09:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: b/n 1 & 3
Posts: 3,628
 
real tennis fan = a person who has a lot of time and patience to fully watch a very boring match between Petra Mandula and Gala Leon Garcia without slipping into a coma.

real tennis fan = not me.
Hulet is offline  
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2004, 09:57 PM
Senior Member
 
moon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: usa
Posts: 4,117
                     
the term "real tennis fan" has always had an uppity edge about it to me.
I've seen it many times on this board "they're not real tennis fans," as if that makes one a better person.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with having one or two favorites. Very often it's those one or two favorites that has bought people to the game. Who are we to look down on someone because we know or follow more players? No one here knows the reasoning about who we follow, why we follow, and when we follow.

far as I'm concerned, if you watch regularly and you know how to keep score, then you're a real fan, no matter how many people you follow.

Venus Williams-- My tennis inspiration
Roger Federer - GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!
moon is offline  
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2004, 10:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: b/n 1 & 3
Posts: 3,628
 
I agree moon. The term is also used by most of the supporters of the lower-ranked players. As far as I am concerned, I don't like to see tennis or any other sport played by inferior competitors. A match of intense athletism, technique and strategy is what draws me to tennis - and to be honest, you are more likely to see such matches when the higher ranked players face each other.
Hulet is offline  
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2004, 07:27 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 10,797
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by eta psi
real tennis fan = a person who has a lot of time and patience to fully watch a very boring match between Petra Mandula and Gala Leon Garcia without slipping into a coma.

real tennis fan = not me.
Have you ever watched the two play each other? How do you know they are boring to watch? But I am sure if they were playing your fave you would not consider the match to be boring correct?
Jakeev is offline  
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2004, 07:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Greenout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Abroad with a passport
Posts: 16,036
                     
A real tennis fan or a good tennis fan? It's one and the same.

I see it as a person who's objective and loves watching the game.
They may have a couple of sweetheart favorites;but they aren't
prone to glory hunting and jumping on whoever is "hot and on a
winning" streak nor just follow WIMBLEDON. They appreciate all
types of playing styles, all types of surfaces- willing to give
things time to happen. They aren't looking to follow the latest
hip popular player. They prefer to see tennis players..."actually
playing" rather than prancing around at movie premieres or
what not.

They do not jump on "hate" bandwagons. They don't let
critics, message boards or articles sway their personal opinions
about players or matches.

They love men and women's tennis. It's all tennis to them. Some
play it beautifully others don't.

I see it also as someone who has enough confidence in their
own love of the game not to force their opinions onto others; but
rather advise them of things they may have not seen or missed
which enhances viewing the game of tennis.

Believe it or not...there are couple people here who fit the bill.
It's usually someone who's followed tennis longer than most
on this board. They actually remember 1995! or the 1980's!
And some also tend to like players that aren't too popular on
this board.
Greenout is offline  
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2004, 01:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: b/n 1 & 3
Posts: 3,628
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeev
Have you ever watched the two play each other? How do you know they are boring to watch?
Actually, no, I haven't watched them play - for all I know their matches might be exciting. My point was that the term 'real tennis fan' or 'pure tennis fan' or, as someone put it here, 'good tennis fan' seem to be used for those fans who don't mind watching two plodders battle it out in an ugly match for hours.

Quote:
But I am sure if they were playing your fave you would not consider the match to be boring correct?
Not correct. I might watch the first set, but, as it will more likely be a one sided match, I wouldn't spend my time on it.
Hulet is offline  
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2004, 01:55 PM
Senior Member
 
moon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: usa
Posts: 4,117
                     
I have no interest whatsoever watching Sprem vs. Farina Elia, does this mean I'm not a real tennis fan?

Venus Williams-- My tennis inspiration
Roger Federer - GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!
moon is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome