When and Why Did Justine Become So Despised? - TennisForum.com

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 328 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2004, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 3,087
                     
When and Why Did Justine Become So Despised?

I know that most No. 1's and GS winners go through this stage where everyone roots against them when they start winning because most people want to see the underdog overcome adversity.

In Chrissy's case it was because she seemed so cold and distant.
In Martina Nav's case it was because she was a Slovak beating Americans and everyone else during the cold war years. It didn't help matters much when she bulked up and came out of the closet as a lesbian.
In Steffi's case it was because she had such a rivalry with Monica, and then Monica got stabbed in Germany, which unfairly didn't warm anyone's heart to her in America.
In Martina Hingis case, she had a big mouth and superior attitude. Then when Venus came along and started to beat her consistently and everyone else and she was still No. 1, people resented her for being a paper champion.
Jennifer just didn't stay No. 1 long enough, and such may be the case with Venus. However, Venus continued to win, except against her sister. Which brings us to Serena. In Serena's case, it was because she was black in a predominantly white sport, she was relentless, self-confident and a ham. However, none of these No. 1 Champions seem to have been as despised, in my opinion, as Justine.

What is it about Justine?
DeDe4925 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 328 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2004, 09:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 331
                     
I really don't think that is the case with Serena.
dekker is offline  
post #3 of 328 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2004, 09:26 PM
Senior Member
 
JasonUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: England
Posts: 315
                     
I think it's just because all these players were constantly winning - and the outcome of their matches could be pretty predictable. And normally people tend to support the underdog, and if your the world number 1 with long winning streaks, every opponent is classed as the underdog

JasonUK is offline  
post #4 of 328 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2004, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 3,087
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekker
I really don't think that is the case with Serena.
Well, what do you think is the case.

Also, I should have prefaced my thread opening with the fact that I used to be a fan of Justine. She used to be very diplomatic, supportive and unbiased of the Sisters when they started to win and others were against them. I respected her for not jumping on the hate Williams' bandwagon, like so many others did, such as Lindsay and JenCap. She was always objective and complimentary of their matches and style of play. I appreciated her beautiful backhand and her sportsmanship on the court. However, things changed for me regarding her when she displayed such poor sportsmanship during the RG semi-final against Serena. I was so disappointed in her that I was hurt. Soon after the final, her coach made that horrible statement about Serena and her family and that had it been anyone else, Justine would have spoken up. What did that mean? That the whole time she secretly despised the Williams and Serena in particular and everything was a lie? Then she started to say things in interviews that made her seem to want to win at any cost and it didn't matter whether anyone respected her or not. Then the unsportsmanlike conduct seemed to become more prevalent.
DeDe4925 is offline  
post #5 of 328 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 331
                     
well buddy... what I think is the case is that she was constantly winning. She made the ambitious statement at the beginning of last year that she wanted to go undefeated and that instantly made me want her to lose. Also her father is a little bit on the nutty side which is not going to endear her to fans. I feel that far too often people jump to the conclusion that it is racism anytime anything bad happens to these girls.
dekker is offline  
post #6 of 328 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2004, 09:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Planet Venus
Posts: 2,182
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMond
Well, what do you think is the case.

Also, I should have prefaced my thread opening with the fact that I used to be a fan of Justine. She used to be very diplomatic, supportive and unbiased of the Sisters when they started to win and others were against them. I respected her for not jumping on the hate Williams' bandwagon, like so many others did, such as Lindsay and JenCap. She was always objective and complimentary of their matches and style of play. I appreciated her beautiful backhand and her sportsmanship on the court. However, things changed for me regarding her when she displayed such poor sportsmanship during the RG semi-final against Serena. I was so disappointed in her that I was hurt. Soon after the final, her coach made that horrible statement about Serena and her family and that had it been anyone else, Justine would have spoken up. What did that mean? That the whole time she secretly despised the Williams and Serena in particular and everything was a lie? Then she started to say things in interviews that made her seem to want to win at any cost and it didn't matter whether anyone respected her or not. Then the unsportsmanlike conduct seemed to become more prevalent.
servenrichie is offline  
post #7 of 328 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2004, 09:35 PM
Senior Member
 
JasonUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: England
Posts: 315
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMond
Well, what do you think is the case.

Also, I should have prefaced my thread opening with the fact that I used to be a fan of Justine. She used to be very diplomatic, supportive and unbiased of the Sisters when they started to win and others were against them. I respected her for not jumping on the hate Williams' bandwagon, like so many others did, such as Lindsay and JenCap. She was always objective and complimentary of their matches and style of play. I appreciated her beautiful backhand and her sportsmanship on the court. However, things changed for me regarding her when she displayed such poor sportsmanship during the RG semi-final against Serena. I was so disappointed in her that I was hurt. Soon after the final, her coach made that horrible statement about Serena and her family and that had it been anyone else, Justine would have spoken up. What did that mean? That the whole time she secretly despised the Williams and Serena in particular and everything was a lie? Then she started to say things in interviews that made her seem to want to win at any cost and it didn't matter whether anyone respected her or not. Then the unsportsmanlike conduct seemed to become more prevalent.
True on some parts, but on others you're making it seem like a TV soap opera

JasonUK is offline  
post #8 of 328 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2004, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 3,087
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekker
well buddy... what I think is the case is that she was constantly winning. She made the ambitious statement at the beginning of last year that she wanted to go undefeated and that instantly made me want her to lose. Also her father is a little bit on the nutty side which is not going to endear her to fans. I feel that far too often people jump to the conclusion that it is racism anytime anything bad happens to these girls.
So, you despise ambition? You want anyone to fail who has aspirations of being the best and reaching the top of the mountain? Did the antics of JenCap's father reflect on her? Did the antics of Dokic's father reflect on her? Did the antics of Alexandra's mother reflect on her? I'm not arguing that the reasons you gave are not reasonable in your mind. I'm just saying that they don't seem valid to me, looking at the whole picture without bringing race into it.
DeDe4925 is offline  
post #9 of 328 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2004, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 3,087
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonUK
True on some parts, but on others you're making it seem like a TV soap opera
Well, you tell me what you think? What parts do you agree with and why and what parts don't you agree with and why?
DeDe4925 is offline  
post #10 of 328 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2004, 09:40 PM
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
 
beauty_is_pink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 20,454
                     
think it was because she wasnt honest at RG against Serena.. even i dont like Serena (i like Justine more) i was surprised and somewhat loss respect in Justine for not telling the whole truth.

"whoever said that money can't buy happiness, clearly didn't kno where to shop"
beauty_is_pink is offline  
post #11 of 328 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,079
                     
Justine will always be very much liked. She still has GREAT fans that know the game and will stand by her!
for-sure is offline  
post #12 of 328 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,079
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekker
well buddy... what I think is the case is that she was constantly winning. She made the ambitious statement at the beginning of last year that she wanted to go undefeated and that instantly made me want her to lose. Also her father is a little bit on the nutty side which is not going to endear her to fans. I feel that far too often people jump to the conclusion that it is racism anytime anything bad happens to these girls.
HAIL!

I was proud of Justine standing up to the school yard bully
You GO GIRL!
That is what Serena gets for that cut-eye..."How dare you hit a winner against "Miss.Serena Williams, the Queen of the WTA Tour, the ALPHA and the OMEGA of the sport"

Next time, Justine, use that hand for some RUSTY B!TCH slapping
for-sure is offline  
post #13 of 328 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2004, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 3,087
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by for-sure
HAIL!

I was proud of Justine standing up to the school yard bully
You GO GIRL!
That is what Serena gets for that cut-eye..."How dare you hit a winner against "Miss.Serena Williams, the Queen of the WTA Tour, the ALPHA and the OMEGA of the sport"

Next time, Justine, use that hand for some RUSTY B!TCH slapping
LOL, for-sure you're such a little whiney bitch.
DeDe4925 is offline  
post #14 of 328 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2004, 09:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,577
                     
I don't think she's as despised as you think.

It's just your anger, grudge, and disappointment rolled together to make you think that way. I think.




.tatianagolovin.sesilkaratancheva.shuaipeng.


.lindsayDAVENPORT.kimCLIJSTERS.

"i don't wanna be your other half i believe that one and one make two."

alanis m.



SerialKiller#69 is offline  
post #15 of 328 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2004, 09:50 PM
Senior Member
 
faste5683's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 1,975
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMond
I know that most No. 1's and GS winners go through this stage where everyone roots against them when they start winning because most people want to see the underdog overcome adversity.

In Chrissy's case it was because she seemed so cold and distant.
In Martina Nav's case it was because she was a Slovak beating Americans and everyone else during the cold war years. It didn't help matters much when she bulked up and came out of the closet as a lesbian.
In Steffi's case it was because she had such a rivalry with Monica, and then Monica got stabbed in Germany, which unfairly didn't warm anyone's heart to her in America.
In Martina Hingis case, she had a big mouth and superior attitude. Then when Venus came along and started to beat her consistently and everyone else and she was still No. 1, people resented her for being a paper champion.
Jennifer just didn't stay No. 1 long enough, and such may be the case with Venus. However, Venus continued to win, except against her sister. Which brings us to Serena. In Serena's case, it was because she was black in a predominantly white sport, she was relentless, self-confident and a ham. However, none of these No. 1 Champions seem to have been as despised, in my opinion, as Justine.

What is it about Justine?
Despised by who, Dee? Btw, I like(ed) ALL the players that you've listed; sounds like a personal thingy to me. Love you anyway...


There's a bit of Justine in all of us.


"The great thing about Henin and Federer is that each of them is a beautiful player and a superior competitor, so the divide is effectively bridged. Have there ever been a pair of No. 1 players who so fully represent the abundantly gifted as well as the fully-ripened competitor?"
faste5683 is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome