Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Under Carlos Moya
I can think of five in the last 50 years (singles only) that deserve consideration:
1) Capriati - overcame all kinds of personal problems and the self-abuse they provoked to win three grand slam singles titles.
2) Seles - overcame a highly traumatic physical and emotional assault which required great strength to overcome as it was directly linked to tennis to win a grand slam title, and reach three other grand slam finals.
3) Evonne Goolagong - returned after pregnancy twice. The first return, aged 26, saw her win two more grand slam singles titles and reestablish herself in the top 3, the second, aged 30, saw her return to the top 20.
4) Margaret Smith-Court - returned from "retirement" once in 1968, aged 25, to win 7 Grand Slam singles titles, including THE grand Slam, then from maternity in 1972, aged 30, to win 3 majors in 1973, then from maternity again in 1974/5 to reestablish herself in the world's top 10, aged 33.
5) BJK, returned from retirement in 1976, aged 33, to beat Goolagong in the Fed Cup final and went on to return to the top 4.
5 Less successful comebacks:
1) Maria Bueno in 1974, aged 35, after 5 years off the circuit. Won her only pro' title (Japan Open) but failed to get back into the top 20. She did have a great comeback in 63/4 after having been off the tour for a year with hepatitis 61-2, though.
2) Tracy Austin in 89 - comeback halted because of a motor accident. Tried again in 93/94 but never cracked the top 50.
3) Regina Marsikova - came back in the mid-80s having been banned by the Czech Federation from competing on the circuit following a conviction for a car accident. Never made it back to the top 50.
4) Karen Hantze Susman. Wimbledon Champ. 1962 Retired afterwards Married in 1963 & had a baby. Returned in 64 but never won another major singles title. Retired again in 65 and came back in the 70s. made it back to the top 100.
5) Venus Williams 2003 (so far). Wait for it....
Traits Gandhi considered the most spiritually perilous to humanity.*Wealth without Work * Pleasure without Conscience
*Science without Humanity *Knowledge without Character
*Politics without Principle *Commerce without Morality
*Worship without Sacrifice