LMFAO: Justine interview - TennisForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2004, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Monrovia
Posts: 52
     
LMFAO: Justine interview

Look what she said: ..."is not easy to be in this situation because, you know, all the other players want to beat me and they give their best on the court....."

I mean, COME ON !!! Wake up and smell the coffee...

Here is complete interview...

An interview with:


JUSTINE HENIN-HARDENNE


JUSTINE HENIN-HARDENNE: Thanks, John.

No, I'm happy to be in the quarters. You know, it wasn't an easy match. I had a pretty good start. I won the first set pretty easy. I was playing good tennis, a lot of intensity.

Then, yeah, at 1-all in the second set, the intensity came down a little bit and she just took her chances. She was in the court. I was a little bit too far from my baseline.

Then we saw what happened. I mean, she had a break until 5-4 in the second, and then I just took my chances to come back in the match.

But it was a big fight in the second set. I think she played a pretty good match. For sure I'll have to raise my level a little bit more in the next round if I want to keep going in this tournament.

But I didn't serve so well today. It's gonna be another point that I'll have to work on for my next match. I mean, I'm in the quarterfinal, and that's the most important thing today.



Q. Was she a total mystery to you, a player like that?

JUSTINE HENIN-HARDENNE: I mean, when you don't know a player at all, it's not easy. Even if I won the first set pretty easy, after that, she had anything else to lose. She was hitting a little bit on everything. So that's not easy to deal with this kind of situation.

But, you know, in this tournament I played two qualifiers, and here in the fourth round, so that's not this kind of situation I'm used to it in a Grand Slam.

But I came through.

Q. How do you feel different playing Lindsay Davenport now, compared to how you felt before you played her at the Australian Open last year?

JUSTINE HENIN-HARDENNE: I mean, it's gonna be another match, you know, another situation. It was hard last year because it was in the fourth round. It's in the quarters here. So that's not much, much better because it's gonna be a tough match anyway.

But, you know, in the quarters in a Grand Slam, you play a lot of very good players. Lindsay is a great champion. I'm sure she'll have a lot of motivation to go to the semis.

So it's different because I'm not the same player anymore. Since last year, you know, a lot of things happened. I say it's not easy to deal with, but I'm sure it's gonna be a good match. And, like I said, I'll have to play my best tennis if I want to keep going in this tournament. So we'll see.

Q. You've talked before about not being the same player. Obviously, you're not the same player. Is it sort of a revelation to you to wake up and say, "I'm not Justine anymore, I'm the Justine." Your change physically and mentally, does it still surprise you a little bit?>

JUSTINE HENIN-HARDENNE: No, not at all. I mean, you know, a lot of things, like I said, have changed in the last year. But, no, I'm used to this new situation. I feel the same person. Confident for sure, more mature also. But, like I said, the fact that I'm No. 1 in the world is not easy to be in this situation because, you know, all the other players want to beat me and they give their best on the court.

But when I wake up, I feel the same person. I have the person I want around me and, you know, that's the most important thing right now.

My goal is going on the court, just try to do my best like I was doing last year and try to win every point.

Q. Is there an adjustment to the fact that everybody wants to get you?

JUSTINE HENIN-HARDENNE: It's an adjustment for sure. I think it takes a little bit of time. It doesn't come in the month that you can say, "Oh, I'm used to it now," or, "I don't care about what people say and everything." So probably it takes a little bit of time. There's a lot of pressure, I agree. But there was a lot of pressure, too, last year. I've been very comfortable with that last year so I'm sure that it's gonna work again.

Q. What does Davenport make you do? What specifically is it?

JUSTINE HENIN-HARDENNE: You know, Lindsay is hitting the ball very hard. She's serving pretty well. She looks like she's in confidence right now.

So, you know, it's always the same point: you have to put a lot of pressure on your opponent, you have to go for the winners, you have to take chances no matter who is in front of you. I know that against Lindsay, I cannot let her play, you know, let play her game. When she is on the court, she's very, very strong. I had many troubles in the past against her. I beat her only once here last year after a thriller. I don't see myself like the biggest favorite on this match because Lindsay, she has a lot of experience and she beat me most of the times.

But it's gonna be a different match, and really we will see on Tuesday.

Q. How do you practice to play someone like that? You know she'll be coming in on you, so do you concentrate more on, say, passing shots?

JUSTINE HENIN-HARDENNE: Not really, no. I'm just gonna go tomorrow and play my game during the practice and just see what I want to do, not being afraid of she's going to do. That's what I'm going to be focused on tomorrow.

Q. Was that win over Davenport last year a turning point in your career, do you think?

JUSTINE HENIN-HARDENNE: It's been a big turn, for sure, last year, because, like I said, it was really important for me to beat her once in my career. It came last year in the fourth round. I had a very bad draw, you know, playing Lindsay in the fourth round. It's not easy at all.

You know, I could lose this match, too, you know. It was 9-7 in the third. I should win it in two sets, then I was down. So it was something amazing, one of the biggest matches last year. And it gave me a lot of confidence, for sure. I just believe in myself that I could beat the top players in the hard courts especially.

Q. You came close to going down two breaks today. Was being able to hold that game, did that sort of turn things around for you a little bit?

JUSTINE HENIN-HARDENNE: It was an important game, I agree. If I was down 5-2 with two breaks, it was a difficult situation. I think she felt a little bit the pressure at this point, even if she won her game to go 5-3.

But, yeah, that was a tough game. Very long rallies. Bad mistakes also. But I took it. That was important for my confidence.

There were winners and mistakes, you know, a little bit of up and downs. The big point was that I didn't serve pretty good and it didn't help me to be as aggressive as I wanted to be.

Q. Is your confidence and mental strength the biggest change in your game since you've been No. 1?

JUSTINE HENIN-HARDENNE: It's very hard to say, you know. It gives you a lot of confidence but it's a lot of pressure, too. You have to find the good place and it's not easy. I agree.

But what I did last year gave me a lot of confidence, for sure, because I beat the top players on every surface. I won two Grand Slams. Then, finally, I became the No. 1 player in the world at The Championships.

So, you know, for sure a lot of things change. But I just try to go on the court and forget about it. It's not easy.

Q. How important do you think your relationship is with your coach, the stage you've got to now?

JUSTINE HENIN-HARDENNE: I mean, my relationship with Carlos is as great as it was a few years ago. We work together for seven years now, and I have the feeling that he's teaching me a lot of things every day, you know, that the relationship is not over at all, because I have many things to learn from him. He knows me pretty good. I mean, almost perfectly.

So he's very important person in my life because he -- I think that he was the only person who repeat me every day that I could win Grand Slams and be No. 1 player in the world. So I'm very grateful to him for that but we still have a long way to go together.

Q. You're No. 1 and education continues.

JUSTINE HENIN-HARDENNE: Education continues. I'm only 21, you know. I'm sure I still have a lot of things to learn. I still have some experience to get, and I'm sure that I'll have many things to learn in the future. I just want to go step by step. It's been very quick, what happened last year.

But at 21, it's not easy. But I think that I'm pretty good right now.
Mironia is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2004, 06:04 AM
Senior Member
 
TennisHack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Sjengster's loving arms
Posts: 3,729
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mironia
Look what she said: ..."because, you know, all the other players want to beat me and they give their best on the court....."

I mean, COME ON !!! Wake up and smell the coffee...
*fails to see what's so offensive about her statement, in and out of context*

Geez, I'm become a regular JHH apologist around here

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
http://tennishack12.bravepages.com/main.html
http://www.thetenniscult.mirrorz.com
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AnnaLenaGroenefeld/

Kim Clijsters, 2005 US Open Champion!

TH Online: Kim tribute - and photos! - now up
TennisHack is offline  
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2004, 06:05 AM
-PREMIUM MEMBER-
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Canada
Posts: 20,033
                     
I am also confused??? As the #1 player of course people will try hard to beat her.

Couver is offline  
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2004, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Monrovia
Posts: 52
     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisHack
*fails to see what's so offensive about her statement, in and out of context*

Geez, I'm become a regular JHH apologist around here

It's not offensive, it's stupid...Like, before, they didn't want to beat her
Mironia is offline  
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2004, 06:07 AM
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!
 
Rocketta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 35,918
                     
I think the thread starter means (and I'm not saying I agree with it) is that her opponent didn't play all that well it's that Justine just didn't play well...ie, Justine is saying it was tough match cause her opponents are now going after her whereas the thread starter thinks her match was tough because Justine played bad hence the wake up Justine the problem lies within your own game?

I could be wrong though...
Rocketta is offline  
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2004, 06:08 AM
Senior Member
 
Greenout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Abroad with a passport
Posts: 16,036
                     
Who cares if it's Justine or THE JUSTINE?

Let's just bring back the one that plays tennis for godsake because
the one that showed on VODAFONE today was obviously a fake!
Greenout is offline  
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2004, 06:09 AM
Senior Member
 
shap_half's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 14,701
                     
I don't know what the poster means by that the statement is stupid. But I think that it is true: more and more players will want to get the accolades of having beaten the number one player in the world and therefore will try their best to beat whomever that is.
shap_half is offline  
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2004, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Monrovia
Posts: 52
     
Quote:
Originally Posted by shap_half
I don't know what the poster means by that the statement is stupid. But I think that it is true: more and more players will want to get the accolades of having beaten the number one player in the world and therefore will try their best to beat whomever that is.

Oh come on !!! So this gurl, Mara is her name, wants to beat #1 but doesn't want to beat #2 or #7...WTF ???
Mironia is offline  
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2004, 06:12 AM
Senior Member
 
TennisHack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Sjengster's loving arms
Posts: 3,729
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mironia
It's not offensive, it's stupid...Like, before, they didn't want to beat her
If you say so . . . might want to try a different insult on the second line, then.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
http://tennishack12.bravepages.com/main.html
http://www.thetenniscult.mirrorz.com
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AnnaLenaGroenefeld/

Kim Clijsters, 2005 US Open Champion!

TH Online: Kim tribute - and photos! - now up
TennisHack is offline  
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2004, 06:13 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 44,680
                     
Just as Justine was doing last year against Serena, I guess.

Always bet on black!
Can you handle the truth?
The truth:
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
22 majors:6376


Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is online now  
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2004, 06:16 AM
Senior Member
 
shap_half's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 14,701
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mironia
Oh come on !!! So this gurl, Mara is her name, wants to beat #1 but doesn't want to beat #2 or #7...WTF ???

of course no one wants to lose, but i think the point being made is that when you go on the court against the number 1 player there is more motivation to beat her because of the fact that she is the number 1 player.
shap_half is offline  
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2004, 06:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 21,972
                     
Mironia, thanks for posting an interview... but it's your second dumb thread in as many days (I think)... cool down.

Vassilissa is my girl............
tenn_ace is offline  
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2004, 06:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Greenout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Abroad with a passport
Posts: 16,036
                     
Oh. Don't take this inteview too seriously. She's played crap, and
knows it. Notice how poor her English got all of a sudden today?
It's all brain cramps today, all brain cramps.
Greenout is offline  
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2004, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Monrovia
Posts: 52
     
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenn_ace
Mironia, thanks for posting an interview... but it's your second dumb thread in as many days (I think)... cool down.

What was the first one ??? (I agree, this one is pretty dumb)
Mironia is offline  
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2004, 07:11 AM
Senior Member
 
franny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,207
                     
Um, Mironia sweetie, you do know that what Justine said is pretty much the same thing that EVERY number 1 player has said. When you get to number 1, guess what, EVERYONE is gunning for you, everyone wants to beat you and prove that they can beat the number 1 player in the world. There is no reason to laugh your freaking ass off for that statement.

hunger, desire, fire..........
stength, power, precision.........
talent, court sense, smartness........
no i am not talking about a racket or a squirrel, i am talking about the former and future number 1..............
martina hingis!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck Justine Henin Hardenne, Venus Williams, Maria Sharapova, Mary Pierce, and any of my other favorites that I might have forgotten about at this moment.
franny is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome