Why is everyone going crazy over... - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2004, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,079
                     
Why is everyone going crazy over...

Venus giving credit to Lisa. Isn't that what a good player/person is supposed to do?
Why aren't there a million threads every time Justine/Kim or Seles gives credit to the winner?
Everyone is acting like Venus just gave her $40million Reebok contract to Lisa.
for-sure is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2004, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,079
                     
???
for-sure is offline  
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Wherever Maggie goes.
Posts: 3,293
                     
I think why ppl overreacted to her seemingly normal social behavior is they had expected otherwise from her.
GoGoMaggie is offline  
 
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2004, 09:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: United States
Posts: 7,274
                     
if you want to look at a player who does not give credit when she loses look at jelena dokic or elena demtieva

The WTA Women of Wonder Featuring....The Goddess: Venus Williams The Glamazon: Serena Williams The Lioness: Jennifer Capriati The High Priestess: Monica Seles The Saint: Kim Clijsters The Phoenix: Chanda Rubin The Bon Vivant: Amelie Mauresmo The Titan: Lindsay Davenport The Courtesan: Anna Kournikova The Exile: Martina Hingis The Sorceress: Anatasia Myskina The Minx: Maria Sharapova
Cybelle Darkholme is offline  
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Senior Member
 
LindsayRulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Beautiful Florida
Posts: 2,961
                     
If you'll look at all of Venus's interviews this Australian Open, she has complimented every one of the players she has played, and Lisa moreso obviously because she beat her.

LINDSAY DAVENPORT
Mary Pierce-----Monica Seles-----Martina Hingis
LindsayRulez is offline  
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2004, 09:23 PM
Senior Member
 
~ The Leopard ~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Kissing my little Lolita
Posts: 13,105
                     
It's because it's so often claimed that the Williams sisters are ungracious losers. I don't think that's ever been true of Venus. There might be some truth in it re Serena, though even Serena is usually not all that bad. (As is pointed out now and then, they are different people with different personalities.)

Vin, kvinder og sang
~ The Leopard ~ is offline  
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2004, 04:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Wherever Maggie goes.
Posts: 3,293
                     
This is a double-standard used favorably for Venus.
When a naughty kid does something good which would be a normal thing from a normal kid and wouldn't be worth prasing, ppl still compliment the naught kid. You know what I mean?
GoGoMaggie is offline  
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2004, 04:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,007
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogomaggie
This is a double-standard used favorably for Venus.
When a naughty kid does something good which would be a normal thing from a normal kid and wouldn't be worth prasing, ppl still compliment the naught kid. You know what I mean?
And can you provide proof that Venus has been ungracious in her interviews over the years? Some quotes?
Serendy Willick is offline  
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2004, 04:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Mrs. Peel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,824
 
The real question is.......

"WHY THE HELL DO YOU CARE?"

Mrs. Peel is offline  
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2004, 04:24 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Wherever Maggie goes.
Posts: 3,293
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendy Willick
And can you provide proof that Venus has been ungracious in her interviews over the years? Some quotes?
She used to rarely complment her opponents. She has changed or matured. But you can't erase the past off everyone's memory. She used to go down as arrogant just like Serena. She's been gracious quite a while now but still it feels refreshing when Venus does this which a lot of the others girls do.
GoGoMaggie is offline  
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2004, 04:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,007
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogomaggie
She used to rarely complment her opponents. She has changed or matured. But you can't erase the past off everyone's memory. She used to go down as arrogant just like Serena. She's been gracious quite a while now but still it feels refreshing when Venus does this which a lot of the others girls do.
I'd knew I'd get that lame ass response. Its the same tired ass response that people give when they dont even bother to do some reaserch and read interviews to see what the player really said. Its like Gossiping, someone throws some stupid spin on someones words or trys to stir crap up with the "she said this about you" crap instead of getting it directly from the source. BTW, The Williamses have Never said anything degrading or disrespectful about any other players EVER. The same cannot be said about your "youngest queen" Martina Hingis.
Serendy Willick is offline  
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2004, 04:46 AM
Senior Member
 
dreamgoddess099's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lost in time
Posts: 6,352
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogomaggie
She used to rarely complment her opponents. She has changed or matured. But you can't erase the past off everyone's memory. She used to go down as arrogant just like Serena. She's been gracious quite a while now but still it feels refreshing when Venus does this which a lot of the others girls do.
Oh, so I see, you claim Venus and Serena are arrogant because (in your opinion) they never give/gave their opponents compliments? Although they don't degrade or disrespect them either. So let me get this straight, they're not arrogant because they are degrading or disrespectful, but because they don't get out a fucking bullhorn to declaire their opponents greatness in defeat? Makes total sense.
dreamgoddess099 is offline  
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2004, 04:55 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Wherever Maggie goes.
Posts: 3,293
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamgoddess099
Oh, so I see, you claim Venus and Serena are arrogant because (in your opinion) they never give/gave their opponents compliments? Although they don't degrade or disrespect them either. So let me get this straight, they're not arrogant because they are degrading or disrespectful, but because they don't get out a fucking bullhorn to declaire their opponents greatness in defeat? Makes total sense.
Why don't you talk more realistic? Don't go extreme about or overexaggerate or read too much into what someone said.
It's a known fact that Venus used to be known for her arrogance when she first came on the scene, you like it or not. It's got nothing to do with hate on her just in case you start another "haters bla bla" excuse. Rarely complimenting opponents doesn't mean being disrespectful or degrading but isn't respectful either. I don't know her personally so it may not be fair to her but you can't help reading and sort of believing what the media drums up. Regardless, you gotta admit she has changed. She wasn't so classy in the past. And yes ppl are making too big a deal out of her post-match interview. It's a class act yes, but not a big deal cuz a lot of others do the same more or less.
GoGoMaggie is offline  
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2004, 05:58 AM
Senior Member
 
dreamgoddess099's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lost in time
Posts: 6,352
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogomaggie
It's a known fact that Venus used to be known for her arrogance when she first came on the scene, you like it or not.
Well like it or not, it's not a fact that any arrogance ever actually existed in the first place.
Quote:
Rarely complimenting opponents doesn't mean being disrespectful or degrading but isn't respectful either.
Since when is not showing any disrespect not being respectful? She's being respectful by not showing any disrespect.
Quote:
I don't know her personally so it may not be fair to her but you can't help reading and sort of believing what the media drums up.
Well, if you know the media is drumming it up, then why is it so hard to not believe?

Quote:
And yes ppl are making too big a deal out of her post-match interview.
But it's no problem when you do in order to prove your claim that she's so arrogant.
Quote:
It's a class act yes, but not a big deal cuz a lot of others do the same more or less.
And the same can be said about all players when it comes to supposedly showing arrogance or disrespect.
dreamgoddess099 is offline  
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2004, 06:04 AM
-PREMIUM MEMBER-
 
Couver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Canada
Posts: 17,268
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogomaggie
Why don't you talk more realistic? Don't go extreme about or overexaggerate or read too much into what someone said.
It's a known fact that Venus used to be known for her arrogance when she first came on the scene, you like it or not. It's got nothing to do with hate on her just in case you start another "haters bla bla" excuse. Rarely complimenting opponents doesn't mean being disrespectful or degrading but isn't respectful either. I don't know her personally so it may not be fair to her but you can't help reading and sort of believing what the media drums up. Regardless, you gotta admit she has changed. She wasn't so classy in the past. And yes ppl are making too big a deal out of her post-match interview. It's a class act yes, but not a big deal cuz a lot of others do the same more or less.
I find it highly ironic that someone who has Martina Hingis in her/his signature is actually taking shots at Venus for being arrogant.

Couver is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome