Who is greater Hingis vs Williams? - TennisForum.com
View Poll Results: Who is GREATER
WILLIAMS 22 66.67%
HINGIS 11 33.33%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2009, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,316
                     
Who is greater Hingis vs Williams?

Who would you rate as greater? Given both have 9 slams, but Vee and Ree have 2 gold medals in the doubles....then again Martina has many more titles and did the Grand slam?

Quote:
I think with her serve and her athleticism, her power, her court mobility, I just think when she’s on, she’s the greatest player we’ve ever seen, ever. Now, whether her record is the greatest remains to be seen because she hasn’t retired yet. But I think she is really the greatest player. I have seen Martina and Steffi at their best. There are little chinks in those players’ armor, but it was a different era, where you didn’t need to be the perfect player.
Chris Evert
16
Thanx4nothin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Winner
 
Dave.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 15,012
                     
Re: Who is greater Hingis vs Williams?

Hingis, she achieved her successes with multiple partners.

Also won the YEC (which is far more significant than Olympics in doubles), and got to no.1.

Difficult to compare the Williams with any of the great doubles players who reached no.1 because they never played full time.
Dave. is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2009, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,316
                     
Re: Who is greater Hingis vs Williams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave. View Post
Hingis, she achieved her successes with multiple partners.

Also won the YEC (which is far more significant than Olympics in doubles), and got to no.1.

Difficult to compare the Williams with any of the great doubles players who reached no.1 because they never played full time.
Makes the greatness of their achievements ALL THE MORE AMAZING

Quote:
I think with her serve and her athleticism, her power, her court mobility, I just think when she’s on, she’s the greatest player we’ve ever seen, ever. Now, whether her record is the greatest remains to be seen because she hasn’t retired yet. But I think she is really the greatest player. I have seen Martina and Steffi at their best. There are little chinks in those players’ armor, but it was a different era, where you didn’t need to be the perfect player.
Chris Evert
16
Thanx4nothin is offline  
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Winner
 
Dave.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 15,012
                     
Re: Who is greater Hingis vs Williams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanx4nothin View Post
Makes the greatness of their achievements ALL THE MORE AMAZING
I guess, although being sisters and playing with each other their whole lives, it doesn't really matter how often they play they are always ready for it.
Dave. is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Christinawww's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Denmark
Posts: 2,843
                     
Re: Who is greater Hingis vs Williams?

^so from that I can conclude that the Bondarenkos, the Radwanskas and the Szavays will have the same success in doubles as the Williams?


Official Defender of Temper Tantrums in Vikaland
Christinawww is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 43,998
                     
Re: Who is greater Hingis vs Williams?

Don't matter..by this time next year, the sisters might already have 11 majors, sooo.

Always bet on black!
Can you handle the truth?
The truth:
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
21 majors:6366


Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 43,998
                     
Re: Who is greater Hingis vs Williams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinawww View Post
^so from that I can conclude that the Bondarenkos, the Radwanskas and the Szavays will have the same success in doubles as the Williams?

Always bet on black!
Can you handle the truth?
The truth:
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
21 majors:6366


Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Winner
 
Dave.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 15,012
                     
Re: Who is greater Hingis vs Williams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinawww View Post
^so from that I can conclude that the Bondarenkos, the Radwanskas and the Szavays will have the same success in doubles as the Williams?
No, they're not as good as them

My point is, sisters can go a long while without playing and then turn up and everything still work for doubles. Like we saw the Radwanskas play very little this year but still make the QF of the French beating Peschke/Raymond, a team that is just starting out. In many cases, other teams have to play regularly to get that feel.

At Wimbledon 07, the WS played their first match in 4 years and still knew where each other would be on the court. You wouldn't get that if Black/Huber split up and didn't play for 4 years.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou View Post
Don't matter..by this time next year, the sisters might already have 11 majors, sooo.

Yep, then we might be able to start thinking about making another poll like this.
Dave. is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2009, 09:45 PM
..
 
Dodoboy.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 38,963
                     
Re: Who is greater Hingis vs Williams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinawww View Post
^so from that I can conclude that the Bondarenkos, the Radwanskas and the Szavays will have the same success in doubles as the Williams?
Great!

Some persons in this thread tryna downplay the Williams. Although they didn't achieve the career slamm #1 ranking!
Dodoboy. is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2009, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,316
                     
Re: Who is greater Hingis vs Williams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave. View Post
No, they're not as good as them

My point is, sisters can go a long while without playing and then turn up and everything still work for doubles. Like we saw the Radwanskas play very little this year but still make the QF of the French beating Peschke/Raymond, a team that is just starting out. In many cases, other teams have to play regularly to get that feel.

At Wimbledon 07, the WS played their first match in 4 years and still knew where each other would be on the court. You wouldn't get that if Black/Huber split up and didn't play for 4 years.





Yep, then we might be able to start thinking about making another poll like this.
Really, I think its fine its here now, because Williams are winning, by some way.

Quote:
I think with her serve and her athleticism, her power, her court mobility, I just think when she’s on, she’s the greatest player we’ve ever seen, ever. Now, whether her record is the greatest remains to be seen because she hasn’t retired yet. But I think she is really the greatest player. I have seen Martina and Steffi at their best. There are little chinks in those players’ armor, but it was a different era, where you didn’t need to be the perfect player.
Chris Evert
16
Thanx4nothin is offline  
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Winner
 
Dave.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 15,012
                     
Re: Who is greater Hingis vs Williams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanx4nothin View Post
Really, I think its fine its here now, because Williams are winning, by some way.
Plenty of Williams fans in the Doubles Forum these days
Dave. is offline  
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2009, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,316
                     
Re: Who is greater Hingis vs Williams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave. View Post
Plenty of Williams fans in the Doubles Forum these days
Probably cuz of their doubles greatness lol!

Quote:
I think with her serve and her athleticism, her power, her court mobility, I just think when she’s on, she’s the greatest player we’ve ever seen, ever. Now, whether her record is the greatest remains to be seen because she hasn’t retired yet. But I think she is really the greatest player. I have seen Martina and Steffi at their best. There are little chinks in those players’ armor, but it was a different era, where you didn’t need to be the perfect player.
Chris Evert
16
Thanx4nothin is offline  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 155
                     
Re: Who is greater Hingis vs Williams?

One thing ends this debate.

Hingis won the CALENDER doubles slam in 1998. They're tied 9 to 9 in majors but calendar slam is the edge even over 2 medals.

Hingis had no chance at medals. Schnyder in important matches?
jubliant11 is offline  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hobe Sound, FL
Posts: 1,384
                     
Re: Who is greater Hingis vs Williams?

The main facination with Venus/Serena doubles is they can just show up and win majors more often than not.
VS Fan is offline  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Dubai Love
 
Uranium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 52,538
                     
Re: Who is greater Hingis vs Williams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubliant11 View Post
One thing ends this debate.

Hingis won the CALENDER doubles slam in 1998. They're tied 9 to 9 in majors but calendar slam is the edge even over 2 medals.

Hingis had no chance at medals. Schnyder in important matches?
They did make the QFs in 1996, shame she didn't play in 2000.

Anyways on topic, Hingis has The Grand Slam, YEC, #1 and more titles to Venus and Serena's 2 gold medals...I think I'll choose Hingis.


Uranium is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome