Tennis Forum banner

Which part of her game Anna should improve the most?

• More spin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Return of serve

• Movement

• She needs to cut her hair, it's getting on the way

Which part of her game Anna should improve the most?

1K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  goldenlox 
#1 ·
What do you think? Which part of her game she should change or try to improve?

Serve?
Net play/volleys?
More power?
More spin?
Return of serve?
Movement?
Mental toughness?
Tactics?
Fitness/health?
She needs to cut her hair, it's getting on the way!

#2 ·
Anna needs to improve her serve most of all. At crucial times in matches it just becomes a liability. I think she gets herself into an awful lot of unnecessary difficulty when it's letting her down.

She'll never have a huge serve because she's not a tall, power player, but there's still a lot of work she can do on her technique to make 1st and 2nd serves more consistent and heavier/punchier. Perhaps she should look at what Justine has done - they are a similar height and build.

Net play and swing volleys or overheads all need practice but improvements to these aren't as important to Anna's game as the serve.

And I wouldn't dare suggest Anna cut her hair shorter or soup would kill me. :p After all, a "ponytail caught in racquet" incident is a rare occurrence and Anna obviously likes her hair that long.

#5 ·
And I wouldn't dare suggest Anna cut her hair shorter or soup would kill me. :p After all, a "ponytail caught in racquet" incident is a rare occurrence and Anna obviously likes her hair that long.
That's why I made the votes public. I hope nobody dares to vote that option :)

All other things she should try to improve, especially serve and movement.

#7 ·
I voted for serve as her double faults comes in bunches and gives away service games. She also definitely needs to increase her power to put away points early against speedy defender.

...but her weakest and the least developed part of her game is her net play. She looks clueless at the net. She comes into net when her approach shot is short and right at her opponents. Anna does not look confident on over head smashes and she has an annoying habit of bunting volley right back at her opponent instead of the open court.

#9 ·
I wait the Match of Stuttgart for voting, because I will see another time Anna.

I vote for Tactics because I will see more variation by Anna, like drop shots for example, sometimes she open the court with angolate shots and the opponent is far away from the Court, so why don't make drop shots in these situation and not every time another long ball near the lines?

I know that Anna is one of the most intelligent players with a great allcourt game, so if she can complete this with other type of shots for me it's wonderful.

#10 ·
The way Anna played since NYC, she has to improve the mental part of her game. She has to keep competing, and not give up if she loses a set.

Reactions: Frode
#14 ·
I for sure vote for the serve. Number one most important thing to me. If you don't have a good first serve and lack the power of the big guns, people just jump all over your second serve. High first serve percentage and good placement is a must. Like other have said Justine is close in size and has a much better serve, as did Hingis back when she was at the top of the game. Consistency with the serve is a must if you are going to be a true top 5 player with staying power.

I would then say net play and mental toughness are the next most needed improvement for Anna. The more doubles she plays the better her net play should be. Hopefully she will get a more regular doubles partner and really work on her net play. Her mental toughness has improved a lot this year, but still needs work.

Overall she has improved tremendously this year...and she is only 20! Can't wait to see where our Anna will be in about 3 or 4 years. :)

#15 ·
Anna has to get back to being a mentally tough consistent player. Until her loss to Sveta, she was improving and improving. Now she's inconsistent and doesn't focus for a full match. She has to turn that around or she won't be at the YEC next year.

#16 ·
I agree goldenlox....she also needs to present herself better on the court. She does not look like she has the confidence of a top 10 player on the court. If you don't give off an air of confidence in yourself on the court that just gives your opponent that much better of a chance to have a good mental game.

On one hand I like that Anna shows her emotions on court, but on the other she needs to be a little bit more like Sharapova and develop a routine that makes her believe that every point is a separate point to be battled over and won. Get a routine that allows her to forget the last point and concentrate on the current point.

#17 ·
She needs to work on her second serve and more consistent first serves. She has a very good first serve due to great placement but if she has a low % of first serves against a good returner like MaSha she is toast. And added to how she presents herself to the top players with little confidence she misses first serves and then well you know what happens...

#19 ·
Anna made big strides this year. Her biggest match was the USO SF.
When she gets to that big a match again, she has to bring her A game.
That's what makes you a superstar. Play big in big matches.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.