Fed Cup is coming to my town! - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Svetlana)))'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,796
                     
Re: Fed Cup is coming to my town!

Sveta doesn't always travel with Larisa because of Larisa's personal commitments. She travels with Olhovsky too.
Svetlana))) is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,087
                     
Re: Fed Cup is coming to my town!

Fed Cup will be indoors on a fast hard court.

One local station saying they have a better chance to get Venus than Serena. Overall, expect the USA to stay with the overachievers 16 months running at that time.

Petra Kvitova : 2011 Wimbledon and WTA Championships Champion
pwayne is offline  
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Dubai Love
 
Uranium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 52,604
                     
Re: Fed Cup is coming to my town!

Venus is not playing. She would have to go from Alabama to Stuttgart in a matter of days. And making the change from a fast indoor court to clay is just asking for trouble.


Uranium is offline  
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2010, 02:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Craigy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 30,066
                     
Re: Fed Cup is coming to my town!

I can't really see Serena playing Miami, Marbella, Charleston and then Fed Cup.
Craigy is offline  
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2010, 03:08 AM
Senior Member
 
hellas719's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: ATHENS GR
Posts: 51,110
                     
Re: Fed Cup is coming to my town!

I just don't get the Williams Sisters when it comes to Fed Cup. They've ALWAYS been using the same excuse that it doesn't fit into their schedules. It's obvious that they don't want to play. Why don't they just say that they want to focus on their singles careers then? In my opinion, Venus had no excuse to skip last year's R1 vs. Argentina, while at least Serena had Paris Indoors. For the semis, Serena had an excuse (injury), but Venus didn't want to switch surfaces, which I guess was a decent excuse, but it's not like she was playing Stuttgart/Fes so I really don't understand why she couldn't take a week off from the clay...Most players base their schedules around Fed Cup/Davis Cup, but the Williams sisters clearly don't care . Baghdatis for example skipped Indian Wells last year so he could play Davis Cup, which was on hard in his case, so that is one of the many examples out there.

Daniilidou. Venus. Azarenka. Halep. Wickmayer.
Cornet. Ivanovic. Vesnina.. Vaidisova. Krajicek.
Paszek. Begu. Cirstea. Lisicki. Pavlyuchenkova.
Pironkova. Stephens. Tatishvili. McHale. Flipkens.
Grammatikopoulou ~ Papamichail ~ Sakkari
I'm obsessed with the Greek players. Deal with it.

ANNA GERASIMOU-EIRINI GEORGATOU ALWAYS AND FOREVER
hellas719 is offline  
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2010, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
nikita771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,093
                     
Re: Fed Cup is coming to my town!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellas719 View Post
I just don't get the Williams Sisters when it comes to Fed Cup. They've ALWAYS been using the same excuse that it doesn't fit into their schedules. It's obvious that they don't want to play. Why don't they just say that they want to focus on their singles careers then? In my opinion, Venus had no excuse to skip last year's R1 vs. Argentina, while at least Serena had Paris Indoors. For the semis, Serena had an excuse (injury), but Venus didn't want to switch surfaces, which I guess was a decent excuse, but it's not like she was playing Stuttgart/Fes so I really don't understand why she couldn't take a week off from the clay...Most players base their schedules around Fed Cup/Davis Cup, but the Williams sisters clearly don't care . Baghdatis for example skipped Indian Wells last year so he could play Davis Cup, which was on hard in his case, so that is one of the many examples out there.
Unfortunately, Venus and/or Serena are only committed to the Fed Cup when it is time to qualify for the Olympics. I would LOVE to see one (Venus) or both of them come to B'ham, but I'm not holding my breath.

I have CDO. It's like Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, except in alphabetical order like it should be.
nikita771 is offline  
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2010, 12:42 PM
Dubai Love
 
Uranium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 52,604
                     
Re: Fed Cup is coming to my town!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikita771 View Post
Unfortunately, Venus and/or Serena are only committed to the Fed Cup when it is time to qualify for the Olympics. I would LOVE to see one (Venus) or both of them come to B'ham, but I'm not holding my breath.
What does that mean, are you unsure about that comment?
Venus has been committed to the team for years. 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007. Fed Cup has fucked up her singles at times, so not surprised that Fed Cup sometimes doesn't fit into her schedule.
As for Serena, yes it does appear she only plays to commit for Olympics, but at the same time most of the time around the times for the ties she is injured.


Uranium is offline  
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2010, 03:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,087
                     
Re: Fed Cup is coming to my town!

Expect the USA overachievers to come as the last one either of them played was Venus in 2007 against the Russians.

Petra Kvitova : 2011 Wimbledon and WTA Championships Champion
pwayne is offline  
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2010, 10:24 PM
Dubai Love
 
Uranium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 52,604
                     
Re: Fed Cup is coming to my town!

Because after 2007 they changed the dates of the ties to HORRIBLE times. After the Australian Open, the first slam of the year which after competing in you'd want a bit of rest. The SFs are now in April in the middle of the clay season, right after Miami and Charleston. Then you have the Finals in November after the YEC. So you have big events followed by Fed Cup, so no surprise it doesn't fit into their schedule. And Venus in 2005 won Wimbledon in a marathon emotional moment and then went to Moscow to play on clay for USA then was burnt out for Stanford. Venus won Wimbledon in 2007, played Fed Cup beating Chak, beat Nadia in a tough match and then loses doubles, then plays Chak in QFs of San Diego and is tired in the end. No surprise it doesn't fit in their schedule especially with the new horrible times of the Fed Cup.


Uranium is offline  
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 02:37 AM
Senior Member
 
hellas719's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: ATHENS GR
Posts: 51,110
                     
Re: Fed Cup is coming to my town!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uranium View Post
Because after 2007 they changed the dates of the ties to HORRIBLE times. After the Australian Open, the first slam of the year which after competing in you'd want a bit of rest. The SFs are now in April in the middle of the clay season, right after Miami and Charleston. Then you have the Finals in November after the YEC. So you have big events followed by Fed Cup, so no surprise it doesn't fit into their schedule. And Venus in 2005 won Wimbledon in a marathon emotional moment and then went to Moscow to play on clay for USA then was burnt out for Stanford. Venus won Wimbledon in 2007, played Fed Cup beating Chak, beat Nadia in a tough match and then loses doubles, then plays Chak in QFs of San Diego and is tired in the end. No surprise it doesn't fit in their schedule especially with the new horrible times of the Fed Cup.
It seems to work for other players though
There is NO reason why Venus should be tired during Stanford from Fed Cup, if anything she should be tired DURING Fed Cup from Wimbledon

Daniilidou. Venus. Azarenka. Halep. Wickmayer.
Cornet. Ivanovic. Vesnina.. Vaidisova. Krajicek.
Paszek. Begu. Cirstea. Lisicki. Pavlyuchenkova.
Pironkova. Stephens. Tatishvili. McHale. Flipkens.
Grammatikopoulou ~ Papamichail ~ Sakkari
I'm obsessed with the Greek players. Deal with it.

ANNA GERASIMOU-EIRINI GEORGATOU ALWAYS AND FOREVER
hellas719 is offline  
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 07:36 PM
Dubai Love
 
Uranium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 52,604
                     
Re: Fed Cup is coming to my town!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellas719 View Post
It seems to work for other players though
There is NO reason why Venus should be tired during Stanford from Fed Cup, if anything she should be tired DURING Fed Cup from Wimbledon
Well other people aren't the Williams Sisters.
What? She was tired during Fed Cup leading to her then being tired for Stanford. Tired for Stanford because of both.


Uranium is offline  
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 01:15 AM
Senior Member
 
hellas719's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: ATHENS GR
Posts: 51,110
                     
Re: Fed Cup is coming to my town!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uranium View Post
Well other people aren't the Williams Sisters.
What? She was tired during Fed Cup leading to her then being tired for Stanford. Tired for Stanford because of both.
But Stanford is like 4 weeks after Wimbledon
Or was it different back then?

Daniilidou. Venus. Azarenka. Halep. Wickmayer.
Cornet. Ivanovic. Vesnina.. Vaidisova. Krajicek.
Paszek. Begu. Cirstea. Lisicki. Pavlyuchenkova.
Pironkova. Stephens. Tatishvili. McHale. Flipkens.
Grammatikopoulou ~ Papamichail ~ Sakkari
I'm obsessed with the Greek players. Deal with it.

ANNA GERASIMOU-EIRINI GEORGATOU ALWAYS AND FOREVER
hellas719 is offline  
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2010, 06:27 PM
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie
 
ys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: always on the move
Posts: 21,818
                     
Re: Fed Cup is coming to my town!

I'll be there..

"..just knowing that as long as i choose life, there is hope."

Je ne suis pas charlie

PLAY TENNIS!
ys is online now  
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2010, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
nikita771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,093
                     
Re: Fed Cup is coming to my town!

I bought my tickets yesterday, but there is still no word on who will actually be there. The tickets don't seem to be moving very fast, but hopefully they'll start moving once the players have been announced.

I have CDO. It's like Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, except in alphabetical order like it should be.
nikita771 is offline  
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2010, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
nikita771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,093
                     
Re: Fed Cup is coming to my town!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uranium View Post
What does that mean, are you unsure about that comment?
Venus has been committed to the team for years. 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007. Fed Cup has fucked up her singles at times, so not surprised that Fed Cup sometimes doesn't fit into her schedule.
As for Serena, yes it does appear she only plays to commit for Olympics, but at the same time most of the time around the times for the ties she is injured.
I can accept 2003 and 2005 (and maybe 2004), but wouldn't the 1999, 2003, 2004 (?), and 2007 be around the time for the 2000, 2004, and 2008 Olympics. I guess I think about Andy Roddick (yes a comparison) and how much I really liked his Fed Cup commitment. He was one of the reasons why I went to the tourney last year. To be honest, I was stating an opinion (which I should have made certain to point out) that it seemed like the only time I really heard about them playing was around the Olympics. In the end, I love both of them and still hope to see at least one in Birmingham.

I have CDO. It's like Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, except in alphabetical order like it should be.
nikita771 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome