From green to red clay - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 197 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Championne de Wimbledon 2013
 
Alizé Molik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dumbéa
Posts: 4,646
                     
Re: From green to red clay

well right now Marion is still French #1, and they could definently use her for sure. Are you going to tell me that France can beat a team that has a top 20 player? or even top 30 player! They got lucky with this defeat of Germany and they have terrible players, so they shouldn't be too confident.

BARTOLI, Marion ♠ CORNET, Alizé ♣ MLADENOVIC, Kristina ♥ GARCIA, Caroline
Alizé Molik is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 197 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2010, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,556
                     
Re: From green to red clay

Former pro Rodolphe Gilbert gives his opinion : http://video.lequipe.fr/video/iLyROoafv_9X.html
"Il faut que Bartoli joue mais pas ŕ n'importe quel prix. Ce serait bien pour elle. Aujourd'hui, elle ne s'en rend peut-ętre pas compte, mais elle regrettera de ne pas avoir de Fed Cup dans sa poche quand elle aura arręté sa carričre. C'est super de pouvoir partager avec les autres sans retenue dans un sport individuel."
Lighter is offline  
post #63 of 197 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2010, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,556
                     
Re: From green to red clay

Marion on court 1 in 1st position : 1 pm
Lighter is offline  
post #64 of 197 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,804
                     
Re: From green to red clay

Stosur doesn't have a history of consistency...so maybe she'll come out flat in her first match and open a big door for Marion....Also,Dulgheru awaits;she's a good player but the QFs are a realistic goal for Marion.Can she beat Sveta ON CLAY to reach the semis??I'd be very pleased with such a result

Don't be scared to open the door, Serena. It's not the Land Shark, it's only the doping agency

Propaganda Director for the Olympic Slam Queen aboard SS Dementieva

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us
bruce goose is offline  
post #65 of 197 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Stay slamless
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sydney
Posts: 17,549
                     
Re: From green to red clay

court 1 no streams

Carol. Empress. Vika. P3tra. Garbine. Dasha. Casey. Marion.
Flopniacki is offline  
post #66 of 197 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,804
                     
Re: From green to red clay

Well,I couldn't watch the match b/c I was at work...but the statline looked awful...as if Marion wasn't even competitive.I know that Stosur is powerful but clay negates power advantages to a reasonable extent...just look at how the WS struggle on clay,usually.I'm hoping to see some improvement from Marion on clay...or else she's kidding herself about winning RG someday

Don't be scared to open the door, Serena. It's not the Land Shark, it's only the doping agency

Propaganda Director for the Olympic Slam Queen aboard SS Dementieva

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us
bruce goose is offline  
post #67 of 197 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Ferg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Petkoland
Posts: 13,132
                     
Re: From green to red clay

Wasnt expecting much from the match anyway but it seems ammy was too good. 3 straight losses now, not looking good for her 3 remaining clay tournaments if she cant win a match where the clay is faster.

Grass/hard cant come fast enough...

________________________________________________
"I think if people ask, How is Marion Bartoli? They will always respond, She's a nice person. That's what I'm most proud of..
Ferg is offline  
post #68 of 197 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2010, 01:49 AM
Championne de Wimbledon 2013
 
Alizé Molik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dumbéa
Posts: 4,646
                     
Re: From green to red clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Well,I couldn't watch the match b/c I was at work...but the statline looked awful...as if Marion wasn't even competitive.I know that Stosur is powerful but clay negates power advantages to a reasonable extent...just look at how the WS struggle on clay,usually.I'm hoping to see some improvement from Marion on clay...or else she's kidding herself about winning RG someday
have you seen Sam play? She's not Serena or Maria, she doesn't hit the ball flat, she actually hits it with a crazy amount of top spin. To be honest, Marion would have needed Sam to have a total mental collapse to beat her on clay.

BARTOLI, Marion ♠ CORNET, Alizé ♣ MLADENOVIC, Kristina ♥ GARCIA, Caroline
Alizé Molik is offline  
post #69 of 197 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2010, 03:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,804
                     
Re: From green to red clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alizé Molik View Post
have you seen Sam play? She's not Serena or Maria, she doesn't hit the ball flat, she actually hits it with a crazy amount of top spin. To be honest, Marion would have needed Sam to have a total mental collapse to beat her on clay.
To answer your question:Yes,I've seen Samantha play...but only briefly on clay.She made the RG semis last year,yet she has won a grand total of ONE clay-court tournament in her entire career(2 tourneys total,the other an MM)...so I wouldn't say that qualifies her as 'Queen of Clay'.

However,I did NOT see the match...as aye admitted earlier...so I have no factual basis to disagree with you if you insist that Sam was absolutely unbeatable....I think I'm being fair here

Don't be scared to open the door, Serena. It's not the Land Shark, it's only the doping agency

Propaganda Director for the Olympic Slam Queen aboard SS Dementieva

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us
bruce goose is offline  
post #70 of 197 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2010, 06:00 AM
Championne de Wimbledon 2013
 
Alizé Molik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dumbéa
Posts: 4,646
                     
Re: From green to red clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
To answer your question:Yes,I've seen Samantha play...but only briefly on clay.She made the RG semis last year,yet she has won a grand total of ONE clay-court tournament in her entire career(2 tourneys total,the other an MM)...so I wouldn't say that qualifies her as 'Queen of Clay'.

However,I did NOT see the match...as aye admitted earlier...so I have no factual basis to disagree with you if you insist that Sam was absolutely unbeatable....I think I'm being fair here
I never said that Sam was unbeatable, my comment was in response to you saying that clay negates the power advantage, and that's true when you hit the ball flat, but Sam hits the ball with top spin, right out of Marion's hitting zone. She also got 92% of first serves in, and those aren't bad serves either, thats 92% of the time she's getting hard or kick serves in, both of which are taking Marion out of court and negating one of her biggest strengths; return of serve.

As far as I know, the match wasn't televised so it's hard to know what's what. However, I did watch all of Sam's matches in Charlston, and she was very impressive.

BARTOLI, Marion ♠ CORNET, Alizé ♣ MLADENOVIC, Kristina ♥ GARCIA, Caroline
Alizé Molik is offline  
post #71 of 197 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,804
                     
Re: From green to red clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alizé Molik View Post
I never said that Sam was unbeatable, my comment was in response to you saying that clay negates the power advantage, and that's true when you hit the ball flat, but Sam hits the ball with top spin, right out of Marion's hitting zone. She also got 92% of first serves in, and those aren't bad serves either, thats 92% of the time she's getting hard or kick serves in, both of which are taking Marion out of court and negating one of her biggest strengths; return of serve.

As far as I know, the match wasn't televised so it's hard to know what's what. However, I did watch all of Sam's matches in Charlston, and she was very impressive.
Well,I misgauged your intent somewhat.I'll agree that Samantha should've been the big favorite here,but...as I said,if Marion has ANY realistic hopes for RG,then she should at least strive to lose by a more competitive score...even though Stosur is tough to beat when she's clicking

Don't be scared to open the door, Serena. It's not the Land Shark, it's only the doping agency

Propaganda Director for the Olympic Slam Queen aboard SS Dementieva

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us
bruce goose is offline  
post #72 of 197 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Drine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,325
 
Re: From green to red clay

In Madrid, Marion's playing against Hercog and then Zheng or Medina Garrigues. Could have been worse
Look at Aravane.....Justine Henin
Drine is offline  
post #73 of 197 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Ferg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Petkoland
Posts: 13,132
                     
Re: From green to red clay

Well there goes any good points. I doubt she'll beat Garrigues and even if she does she'll lose the next round to one of the Serbs.

________________________________________________
"I think if people ask, How is Marion Bartoli? They will always respond, She's a nice person. That's what I'm most proud of..
Ferg is offline  
post #74 of 197 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,804
                     
Re: From green to red clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
Well there goes any good points. I doubt she'll beat Garrigues and even if she does she'll lose the next round to one of the Serbs.
AMG has been kind of shaky most of this year but,based on what we've seen so far,I'll agree with you that we shouldn't get our hopes overly high right now

Don't be scared to open the door, Serena. It's not the Land Shark, it's only the doping agency

Propaganda Director for the Olympic Slam Queen aboard SS Dementieva

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us
bruce goose is offline  
post #75 of 197 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2010, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,556
                     
Re: From green to red clay

Marion on central court tomorrow : night session

Manola Santana – 11h
1. T. Garbin (ITA) / A. Cornet (FRA)
2. ATP
3. V. Zvonareva (RUS) / M. Oudin (USA)
4. A. Wozniak (CAN) / (6) E. Dementieva (RUS)
Pas avant 19h
5. (5) S. Kuznetsova (RUS) / S. Peer (ISR)
6. (14) M. Bartoli (FRA) / P. Hercog (SLO)
Lighter is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome