Alexandra Dulgheru!!! - Page 235 - TennisForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #3511 of 5204 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2013, 03:33 AM
Senior Member
 
overrule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 498
                     
Re: Alexandra Dulgheru!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncurv View Post
Judging by players to every criteria there is in tennis ratio we are doing awesome.
Why is that? From what I understand, there is not much of a tennis federation in Romania. Also, tennis is traditionally a rich person's sport, and I know Romania is not one of the richer countries in Europe.

I've become somewhat fascinated by Romanian tennis. I can't explain why. It started with Sorana back in 2008-09, and then I started noticing many of the other Romanian girls making gains in the top 100, 50, 30. I also remember liking Spirlea back in her day. And of course I loved Nastase as a kid. (dating myself here) I watched him play McEnroe live at the US Open, and it was one of the most remarkable and humorous spectacles I've ever witnessed. Both players demanded the umpire be removed from the chair.

The Romanian tennis players all seem to be a bit quirky. I like that.
overrule is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3512 of 5204 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2013, 04:27 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 1,506
                     
Re: Alexandra Dulgheru!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overrule View Post
Why is that? From what I understand, there is not much of a tennis federation in Romania. Also, tennis is traditionally a rich person's sport, and I know Romania is not one of the richer countries in Europe.

I've become somewhat fascinated by Romanian tennis. I can't explain why. It started with Sorana back in 2008-09, and then I started noticing many of the other Romanian girls making gains in the top 100, 50, 30. I also remember liking Spirlea back in her day. And of course I loved Nastase as a kid. (dating myself here) I watched him play McEnroe live at the US Open, and it was one of the most remarkable and humorous spectacles I've ever witnessed. Both players demanded the umpire be removed from the chair.

The Romanian tennis players all seem to be a bit quirky. I like that.
It's nice that you mentioned Ilie Nastase. While I didn't have the chance to watch him play during his time I've been always surprised to see how many Americans remember Nastase. Every time I mention that I am originally from Romania and the subject of conversation is tennis people tell me they heard about Ilie Nastase.

As for your question, obviously the best answers will come from people living in Romania that know the situation far better than I do.
However, as you said, the cost associated with the sport is obviously a hurdle. Then there is the Romanian federation, which very much exists, but which does not have enough funds I imagine to sponsor the youth tennis, organize more tennis tournaments (I heard there used to be more 10Ks than there are now), support local communities, etc.
Today while I was watching the replays on tennis channel the ticker at the bottom of the screen said something about USTA donating a few hundred dollars to local communities to support tennis activities, so go figure.

Anyway, what I think it ultimately comes down to is the general standard of living because ultimately tennis is an individual sport and in order for the families to make a choice to support their kids' tennis endeavors they need money.
codrutc is offline  
post #3513 of 5204 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2013, 04:32 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 1,506
                     
Re: Alexandra Dulgheru!!!

I hope Alexandra does not mind that her thread was hijacked by an unrelated topic I promise to compensate by posting when she resumes her activity.
codrutc is offline  
post #3514 of 5204 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 26,885
                     
Re: Alexandra Dulgheru!!!

Tennis being an individual sport still gives you the chance to make it big through personal investments, alone. However, then you really have to come from a sports fascinated family and of course a family that possesses the financial resources and time to spend for the development of their kids.

The Romanian tennis federation is a joke, but we still have a lot of very talented coaches which helps a lot. Both, coaches and players are of course interested in a successful career as both would benefit, that's why you see a lot of long-time coach-player bonds in Romania. Another possibility like in Cirstea's case is the sponsorship of a (sports) company from outside, in her case Adidas. Her looks helped her and I'm pretty sure she wouldn't be ranked Romanian #1, if she wouldn't possess training possibilities that other girls from her country can only dream about.
Curcubeu is offline  
post #3515 of 5204 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Senior Member
 
overrule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 498
                     
Re: Alexandra Dulgheru!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curcubeu View Post
Tennis being an individual sport still gives you the chance to make it big through personal investments, alone. However, then you really have to come from a sports fascinated family and of course a family that possesses the financial resources and time to spend for the development of their kids.

The Romanian tennis federation is a joke, but we still have a lot of very talented coaches which helps a lot. Both, coaches and players are of course interested in a successful career as both would benefit, that's why you see a lot of long-time coach-player bonds in Romania. Another possibility like in Cirstea's case is the sponsorship of a (sports) company from outside, in her case Adidas. Her looks helped her and I'm pretty sure she wouldn't be ranked Romanian #1, if she wouldn't possess training possibilities that other girls from her country can only dream about.
Thanks for the insight. Is tennis popular in Romania? After football, are there other sports more popular than tennis?
overrule is offline  
post #3516 of 5204 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2013, 05:34 PM
Senior Member
 
soimu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: fcpi ROU
Posts: 921
                     
Re: Alexandra Dulgheru!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overrule View Post
Thanks for the insight. Is tennis popular in Romania? After football, are there other sports more popular than tennis?
I know you asked Curcubeu but I want to share my thoughts on this also.
Besides football and tennis.
Handball was and it still is a loved sport here. I think this is not a very well known sport in US. Strange because with your basketball background it could be very easy to be competitive
Some videos. A Romanian girl player at her best.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-JN-IIdugQ .
On youtube there are a lot of videos with great moments in handball
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gELgNqj7VA
Also gymnastics is a popular sport. No need for videos because this sport is big in US too.
These 4 are in my opinion the most enjoyed sports in Romania.

___B
HALEP
DULGHERU----- Cetkovska Voegele Paszek Hampton
NICULESCU--- Olaru Dinu Ana Bogdan---Bates Feldenkrais Schneider
soimu is offline  
post #3517 of 5204 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 26,885
                     
Re: Alexandra Dulgheru!!!

Tennis and gymnastics are the most popular individual sports, I would say. Atheltics used to be, but we are sucking badly in them right now.

Soccer is after all the most popular one, but while our national team is average, slowly getting better again (though), our national league is just in a disastrous state, corruption, bankruptcy, everything. A lot of big traditional clubs got relegated or destroyed in the last couple of years.

Tennis can benefit from this, if one of our girls is making the step towards world class.
Curcubeu is offline  
post #3518 of 5204 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 2013, 05:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 1,506
                     
Re: Alexandra Dulgheru!!!

Oh Gosh, I used to like soccer back in Romania. Nowadays when I visit the Romanian sports sites I go straight to Other Sports section. Soccer is so disgusting, I feel dirty by just reading a soccer headline.

Back to Alexandra, I just checked the Palermo list and her name is listed among the qualifiers. I hope she makes it to the main draw, I can't wait to see her again.
codrutc is offline  
post #3519 of 5204 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Coco Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: bile yer heid
Posts: 72,111
                     
Re: Alexandra Dulgheru!!!

she's back bitches

affordable first round too

http://www.livetennis.it/post/146737...-nove-azzurre/

may your choices reflect your hopes not your fears.

Coco Hero is online now  
post #3520 of 5204 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 26,885
                     
Re: Alexandra Dulgheru!!!

Should really qualify here, but I have no clue how well she can compete. It's a very soft section of the Q-Draw, though.

I wish her all the best.
Curcubeu is offline  
post #3521 of 5204 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Belle de Jour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 8,364
                     
Re: Alexandra Dulgheru!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitten Kitten View Post
she's back bitches

affordable first round too

http://www.livetennis.it/post/146737...-nove-azzurre/
I'd go even further and say that a well rested and injury-free Alexandra should qualify. That draw is perfect for her comeback!
Belle de Jour is offline  
post #3522 of 5204 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2013, 04:58 PM
Senior Member
 
soimu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: fcpi ROU
Posts: 921
                     
Re: Alexandra Dulgheru!!!

I am glad she is back.
GL Alex !

___B
HALEP
DULGHERU----- Cetkovska Voegele Paszek Hampton
NICULESCU--- Olaru Dinu Ana Bogdan---Bates Feldenkrais Schneider
soimu is offline  
post #3523 of 5204 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2013, 04:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 26,885
                     
Re: Alexandra Dulgheru!!!

She is officially coached by Gonzalo Lopez-Fabero now.

He had a career high of #169 on the ATP and is now having a tennis academy in Valencia where she will likely train as well.
Curcubeu is offline  
post #3524 of 5204 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Belle de Jour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 8,364
                     
Re: Alexandra Dulgheru!!!

This is all good news
Belle de Jour is offline  
post #3525 of 5204 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Belle de Jour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 8,364
                     
Re: Alexandra Dulgheru!!!

Anna Floris (296) is 8th seed, Alex coming right after her
Belle de Jour is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome