Fed Cup Romania - Page 128 - TennisForum.com
 41Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1906 of 1915 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2017, 09:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Haihui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7,767
                     
Re: Fed Cup Romania

The word itself is of no importance. You can use mişto, las-o aşa... or whatever way you want to describe it's meaning and generally not taking things seriously...
Haihui is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1907 of 1915 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2017, 10:09 PM
Senior Member
 
rucolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 31,172
                     
Re: Fed Cup Romania

Congrats on beating GB, Romanian girls !

Romania needs Simona and Begu and Begu/Niculescu in doubles in Fed Cup
If Romania plays with Simona and Begu and Begu/Niculescu in doubles they can go far
But if Simona or Begu not play, I see no chance to go far

Serena: "We have great personalities like Jelena (Jankovic) on the tour."
Jelena: "If I had to pick someone after me, I'd pick Serena."

Good Luck
Serena Williams Maria Sharapova Jelena Jankovic
A. Radwanska V. Zvonareva C. Wozniacki N. Petrova M. Hingis
T. Paszek A. Chakvetadze K. Sprem J. Dokic I. Tulyaganova A. Myskina
GNTM 2017
rucolo is offline  
post #1908 of 1915 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2017, 09:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Coco Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: bile yer heid
Posts: 73,310
                     
Re: Fed Cup Romania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rads101 View Post
Here's maybe not the place for such a (philosophical?) discussion... but certainly GM won't be the place.

I'd like to discuss Nastase's statement on Friday, regarding Serena's baby. And maybe here's the right public, because we have:
- Romanians who live in Romania
- Romanians living abroad, including the States, who may be ideally placed, with knowledge of Romanian mentality, but also with a front seat perception of racism over there
- Non-Romanians of different backgrounds, from countries with different views and perceptions on the matter.

Now, here's my case: I was born in Romania. Never in my own family, my extended family, or among my close acquaintances, do I recall, even, 1 racist comment related to color. Or more precisely, I don't recall 1 negative comment. There were positive comments, mostly portraying them as having better genes, like the fact that they're less prone to wrinkles, are better resistant to the sun, the skin color helps them better mask their pimples (which made me a bit jealous given my notable acne),... and let's not mention that "quality" that makes their men particularly popular with the ladies. When later on I learned the first bits about racism in America, I couldn't understand why that is. The only "racism" I knew was ethnically based - and rooted in the pain we had to suffer in the past 1-200 years from some of our neighbors. Any reference to their skin as "chocolate-like", or that of a mixed-race person as "chocolate with milk" would have been (and still is in my mind) nothing but positively discriminating if at all, given how tasty chocolate is. If anything, the comment would be rather sexually inappropriate in my ears rather than racist.

Now, I know Nastase can be a pig. But that aside, my perception is that color-based racism is really not typical for Romanians. If any of you saw the interview, did they get the feeling, from context, body language & face expression, that he meant it as racist? I won't argue that, for someone who has traveled so much, he should have known better. But was he just old, stupid and lacking finesse; or really meant it in a racist way?

And leaving Nastase aside:
- Question to Romanians still in Romania: did color-based racism become a thing in Romania since I left?
- Question to Americans (and any foreigners in general): just how racist does the "chocolate" comparison sound to your years? And if it does have a negative connotation for you, why is that? It's one of the most universally accepted tasty / irresistible types of food out there.

I understand the fight against negative discrimination. But what's so wrong with positive discrimination?
even though I still think that anyone who has a general knowledge of how the international world reacts to such statements should better think twice before saying something alike, I stand with Simona's opinion on the topic: it was meant as a joke and not as a racial insult, it was inappropriate and for that he should apologise. End of the story. On that.

Thus said, being Italian and having lived in the UK and having many US and UK friends, as well as leaving close to an American Airbase, I can tell you that it's very difficult for the English speaking world to understand there's people living with different principles. I remember Flavia Pennetta being covered by shit from social media and American websites because in an Italian interview she said: "I can't compare with Serena, she's a beast". She was accused of racism right away. The problem there was that people did not bother checking what was the meaning of the statement in Italian and actually in sport if you call someone "a beast" here, it's a massive compliment as it stands for extremely strong, almost unbeatable.
Dan, Andrej and Rads101 like this.

may your choices reflect your hopes not your fears.

Coco Hero is offline  
 
post #1909 of 1915 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2017, 11:55 AM
Senior Member
 
Haihui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7,767
                     
Re: Fed Cup Romania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco Hero View Post
I remember Flavia Pennetta being covered by shit from social media and American websites because in an Italian interview she said: "I can't compare with Serena, she's a beast". She was accused of racism right away. The problem there was that people did not bother checking what was the meaning of the statement in Italian and actually in sport if you call someone "a beast" here, it's a massive compliment as it stands for extremely strong, almost unbeatable.
Do you remember when Flavia snapped and started going after Engzell with all sorts of silly hand gestures and stuff, that one time at Fed Cup in France... what was her punishment like? She wasn't like suspended or anything, was she?
Haihui is offline  
post #1910 of 1915 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2017, 12:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Coco Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: bile yer heid
Posts: 73,310
                     
Re: Fed Cup Romania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Fan View Post
Do you remember when Flavia snapped and started going after Engzell with all sorts of silly hand gestures and stuff, that one time at Fed Cup in France... what was her punishment like? She wasn't like suspended or anything, was she?
IIRC all she got was a fine
Haihui likes this.

may your choices reflect your hopes not your fears.

Coco Hero is offline  
post #1911 of 1915 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2017, 01:14 PM
Senior Member
 
SurreyHills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 397
                     
Re: Fed Cup Romania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco Hero View Post
even though I still think that anyone who has a general knowledge of how the international world reacts to such statements should better think twice before saying something alike, I stand with Simona's opinion on the topic: it was meant as a joke and not as a racial insult, it was inappropriate and for that he should apologise. End of the story. On that.

Thus said, being Italian and having lived in the UK and having many US and UK friends, as well as leaving close to an American Airbase, I can tell you that it's very difficult for the English speaking world to understand there's people living with different principles. I remember Flavia Pennetta being covered by shit from social media and American websites because in an Italian interview she said: "I can't compare with Serena, she's a beast". She was accused of racism right away. The problem there was that people did not bother checking what was the meaning of the statement in Italian and actually in sport if you call someone "a beast" here, it's a massive compliment as it stands for extremely strong, almost unbeatable.

I am a fan of Simona with no Romanian connections at all and noticed that Nastase's comments regarding Serena were labelled as racist in the British press.
We need to recognise a specific cultural context. In Britain, not that long ago, there was open racism. E.g. black football players were often subjected to vile and repetitive abuse. Nowadays, that has reduced and there is often a reluctance to refer to skin colour at all.
People should recognise that such comments are likely to result in condemnation due to what is called "virtue signalling" particularly in parts of the English speaking world, where there are still problems of racist and sexist behaviour, despite campaigns to try to make it unacceptable.
It is sad that Nastase's behaviour tended to hog the media attention, as it distracts both from the achievements of the Romanian women, but also from a real problem: despite all the money, GB tennis doesn’t tend to produce enough players who perform well on clay and it could become a recurring nightmare for the Fed Cup team, as I think most other countries would choose to play them on clay.
I am slightly sorry for the GB team in that respect, but certainly think Romania are the better side with a much better chance of thriving at WG level.
SurreyHills is offline  
post #1912 of 1915 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2017, 02:33 PM
Senior Member
 
ioana_sk8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3,606
                     
Re: Fed Cup Romania

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurreyHills View Post
It is sad that Nastase's behaviour tended to hog the media attention, as it distracts both from the achievements of the Romanian women, but also from a real problem: despite all the money, GB tennis doesn’t tend to produce enough players who perform well on clay and it could become a recurring nightmare for the Fed Cup team, as I think most other countries would choose to play them on clay.
Yes, unfortunate side effects when it comes to detracting from real issues on both sides. Thank you for pointing out at least one of those from the Brit side. Fingers crossed this means we've seen the last of Nastase in official functions.
ioana_sk8r is offline  
post #1913 of 1915 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2017, 04:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Nightcrawl3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 11,825
                     
Re: Fed Cup Romania

Does someone have the Doubles match ?

I'll give you instead the singles matches from day 2 (HD - English comm.) . Maybe I'll put them anyways, depending on the time.
@Not A Fan

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Nightcrawl3r is offline  
post #1914 of 1915 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2017, 08:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Haihui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7,767
                     
Re: Fed Cup Romania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawl3r View Post
Does someone have the Doubles match ?
It's on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB5m_r_fJdc
Haihui is offline  
post #1915 of 1915 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2017, 08:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Nightcrawl3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 11,825
                     
Re: Fed Cup Romania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Fan View Post
Yup. Renegade told me in another thread. Shame on me for not checking .

An HD quality would be great as well though, if someone has one, cause that's not anywhere near HD on YouTube (though it says 720p) .

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Nightcrawl3r is offline  
post #1916 of 1915 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2017, 08:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Haihui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7,767
                     
Re: Fed Cup Romania

Handshakegate - the sequel Looking forward to seeing Andreescu playing in Romania

Haihui is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome