2013-14 recruiting - "speculation only" - Page 3 - TennisForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 58 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2012, 04:06 AM
Senior Member
 
cowsonice's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,929
                     
Re: 2013-14 recruiting - "speculation only"

Stanford seems to be a bit of stretch for me on Alyssa. She still regularly plays high school tennis and doesn't seem to be Krista-caliber, even if she did go deep into Eddie Herr. USC seems more likely too but IIRC Alyssa did take recruiting trips to Duke and UNC.


Faves: Sharapova, Hantuchova, Safarova, Goerges
GO BEARS!
cowsonice is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 58 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 146
                     
Re: 2013-14 recruiting - "speculation only"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowsonice View Post
Stanford seems to be a bit of stretch for me on Alyssa. She still regularly plays high school tennis and doesn't seem to be Krista-caliber, even if she did go deep into Eddie Herr. USC seems more likely too but IIRC Alyssa did take recruiting trips to Duke and UNC.
Alyssa Smith just announced on Facebook last night that she committed to Duke.

This one surprised me since Duke only has one scholarship for her year and I would say 99% of the people I talked to thought that Allie Kiick was going to Duke.
ats_tennis is offline  
post #33 of 58 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2012, 02:05 AM
Le Conte's Sparrow
 
fantic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11,255
                     
Re: 2013-14 recruiting - "speculation only"

Well Duke coaches did watch Alyssa vs Sam Cons. match on the last day of the National; Duke, UVA, USC coaches were 'the last men standing.'
fantic is offline  
post #34 of 58 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2012, 06:26 AM
Senior Member
 
cowsonice's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,929
                     
Re: 2013-14 recruiting - "speculation only"

Oh yay!

Alyssa is a good get for Duke.

I've always thought Kiick would turn professional, if not, just stay in Florida with UF.


Faves: Sharapova, Hantuchova, Safarova, Goerges
GO BEARS!
cowsonice is offline  
post #35 of 58 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 11:20 PM
Le Conte's Sparrow
 
fantic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11,255
                     
Re: 2013-14 recruiting - "speculation only"

TRN Blue Chips so far;

College Commitments - Page 1 Print List

Rating Name & State Div/Conf School
L. Borr (NJ) NCAA - ACC Boston College
S. Campbell (TN) NCAA - SEC Vanderbilt
Z. Katz (CA) NCAA - Pac-12 USC
K. Keegan (GA) NCAA - SEC Florida
S. Liang (MD) NCAA - Ivy League Harvard
M. Lipp (IL) NCAA - Big Ten Northwestern
M. Manasse (CA) NCAA - Pac-12 California
M. McCray (CA) NCAA - Big 12 Oklahoma State
J. Rooney (MA) NCAA - Big Ten Northwestern
B. Shankle (TX) NCAA - Big 12 Baylor
A. Smith (CA) NCAA - ACC Duke
M. Westby (OK) NCAA - Pac-12 USC

No UCLA or STAN commitment yet, that means remaining top rankers might choose those schools?(Only Duke & BC for ACC, for that matter. No UGA yet, either)

Remaining Blue Chip players who hasn't announced;

1 (1) Alexandra Kiick FL 9
2 (2) Chalena Scholl FL 13
3 (3) Samantha Crawford FL 10
4 (4) Jamie Loeb NY 20
5 (5) Jennifer Brady FL 15
6 (6) Taylor Davidson NC (STAN?) 13
8 (8) Rasheeda McAdoo FL 17
9 (9) Denise Starr NY 11
15 (16) Rachel Pierson NJ 10
20 (20) Shannon Hudson VA 17

Last edited by fantic; Nov 4th, 2012 at 03:37 AM.
fantic is offline  
post #36 of 58 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Senior Member
 
tie_breaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,222
                     
Re: 2013-14 recruiting - "speculation only"

It's hard picturing any of the FL Blue Chip players going to Stanford. Taylor Davidson, maybe but is it official? Maybe someone from NY or NJ. My guess is good as anybody.
tie_breaker is offline  
post #37 of 58 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 146
                     
Re: 2013-14 recruiting - "speculation only"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie_breaker View Post
It's hard picturing any of the FL Blue Chip players going to Stanford. Taylor Davidson, maybe but is it official? Maybe someone from NY or NJ. My guess is good as anybody.
Taylor Davidson (she announced on Facebook) and I'm hearing Caroline Doyle (who's graduating a year early)
ats_tennis is offline  
post #38 of 58 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2012, 11:28 PM
Le Conte's Sparrow
 
fantic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11,255
                     
Re: 2013-14 recruiting - "speculation only"

current Blue Chip seniors who hasn't committed yet;

Jennifer Brady FL Open
Samantha Crawford FL Considering Turning Pro Open
Victoria Duval FL Considering Turning Pro Open
Shannon Hudson VA Open
Alexandra Kiick FL Open
Sherry Li FL Open
Rasheeda McAdoo FL Open
Chalena Scholl FL Open
Denise Starr NY California, Columbia, Stanford, UCLA
------
vacancy

CAL 1
UCLA 1
USC 1
UF 1 (Embree/Hitimana out, Keegan in)
UVA 2 (Vierra/Tomljanovic/Fucillo out, Pierson in)

Last edited by fantic; Nov 15th, 2012 at 06:38 PM.
fantic is offline  
post #39 of 58 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2012, 03:15 AM
Senior Member
 
tie_breaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,222
                     
Re: 2013-14 recruiting - "speculation only"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ats_tennis View Post
Taylor Davidson (she announced on Facebook) and I'm hearing Caroline Doyle (who's graduating a year early)
Those two and Carol Zhao, makes 3. Tan and Dillon are seniors. I am guessing the Cards are anticipating that Gibbs is going to turn pro.

This year-Gibbs/Hardebeck/Tan/Ahn/Tsay/Kostas or Dillon
Next year-Hardebeck/Ahn/Tsay/Zhao/Davidson/Doyle or Kostas

I have to think that Gibbs wants to win a championship before leaving the Farm.
At least Mal got hers during her freshman year. I can't think of that many Cards, who didn't go to the White House during their four years at Stanford.
tie_breaker is offline  
post #40 of 58 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2012, 03:23 AM
Senior Member
 
tie_breaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,222
                     
Re: 2013-14 recruiting - "speculation only"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic View Post
gouci you're fast I thought only ats tennis and me knew it
Assuming that Susanyi/Schutting/Davis/Goransson is #1-#4.
Next there's Duranteau/Estlander/Fabikova/Chi fighting for the last two spots

Is Chi going to be given enough playing time?
tie_breaker is offline  
post #41 of 58 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 146
                     
Re: 2013-14 recruiting - "speculation only"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie_breaker View Post
Those two and Carol Zhao, makes 3. Tan and Dillon are seniors. I am guessing the Cards are anticipating that Gibbs is going to turn pro.

This year-Gibbs/Hardebeck/Tan/Ahn/Tsay/Kostas or Dillon
Next year-Hardebeck/Ahn/Tsay/Zhao/Davidson/Doyle or Kostas

I have to think that Gibbs wants to win a championship before leaving the Farm.
At least Mal got hers during her freshman year. I can't think of that many Cards, who didn't go to the White House during their four years at Stanford.
Isn't Kostas a walk-on? So couldn't Stanford add all 3 even if Gibbs stayed?
ats_tennis is offline  
post #42 of 58 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Senior Member
 
tie_breaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,222
                     
Re: 2013-14 recruiting - "speculation only"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ats_tennis View Post
Isn't Kostas a walk-on? So couldn't Stanford add all 3 even if Gibbs stayed?
I would be interested to know how the scholarship really works. All I know is that they get 8 headcount scholarships. If Kostas is a walk-on, then technically they can add all 3. This year they would be using 7 and next year 8.

I don't know how it works with Mal gone. I assume it frees up one, but what happens if she goes back to school, like when Granville went back? I heard they still get a free ride, but where does that scholarship come from?

Now did Kostas get an academic scholarship? She did win that Rotarian award, but I doubt that might just cover the cost of her books.
tie_breaker is offline  
post #43 of 58 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2012, 05:22 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Independent Isle
Posts: 7,027
                     
Re: 2013-14 recruiting - "speculation only"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie_breaker View Post
Assuming that Susanyi/Schutting/Davis/Goransson is #1-#4.
Next there's Duranteau/Estlander/Fabikova/Chi fighting for the last two spots

Is Chi going to be given enough playing time?
My guess is that Cal is going to go Susanyi, Schutting, Fabikova, Davis, Goransson, Chi. I think Fabikova might start a little lower but I think she has the potential to play high in the line-up.

Chi is better than Duranteau/Estlander. Estlander has seemed to regressed/stagnated a bit.
Tennisace is offline  
post #44 of 58 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2012, 05:24 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Independent Isle
Posts: 7,027
                     
Re: 2013-14 recruiting - "speculation only"

Stanford has seven on scholarship right now. Two graduating scholarship players in Tan and Dillon and then the freed up Burdette scholarship. That's why they can offer three this coming year.
Tennisace is offline  
post #45 of 58 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Senior Member
 
2nd_serve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,248
                     
Re: 2013-14 recruiting - "speculation only"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie_breaker View Post
I would be interested to know how the scholarship really works. All I know is that they get 8 headcount scholarships. If Kostas is a walk-on, then technically they can add all 3. This year they would be using 7 and next year 8.

I don't know how it works with Mal gone. I assume it frees up one, but what happens if she goes back to school, like when Granville went back? I heard they still get a free ride, but where does that scholarship come from?

Now did Kostas get an academic scholarship? She did win that Rotarian award, but I doubt that might just cover the cost of her books.
My source and my own reading tells me that its not true that if the players come back, that they get a free ride. I believe that as discussed on a Duke thread it would violate NCAA rules.

I do believe it works like this, Stanford, Duke degrees are from well respected prominent schools are worth a lot of money, even if the person pays some tuition. Its worth it for a player to start at one of these schools, even if they go professional during their term, because the school will take them back as a student. Plus both schools have large financial endowments, so that normal financial need based scholarships can be quite comprehensive for athletes and non-athletes. And finally, if the player comes back to school after 25 years old, (with some alternative twists), then its just their own income and assets that count for financial aid. But, correct me if I'm wrong...
2nd_serve is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome