Acc - Page 21 - TennisForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #301 of 340 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,271
 
Re: Acc

The NC State women's tennis team was edged 7-0 by the No. 13 Miami Hurricanes on Sunday at the Curtis & Jacqueline Dail Outdoor Tennis Stadium.

Is that another of those words that means something different in America?
Radical is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #302 of 340 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2014, 05:02 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 12
 
Re: Acc

Another solid win for the Canes today. Sixth straight win, 10-2 now. They face Baylor on Saturday.

Canes Results
Kirijax is offline  
post #303 of 340 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2014, 12:06 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 37
 
Re: Acc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embittered View Post
The NC State women's tennis team was edged 7-0 by the No. 13 Miami Hurricanes on Sunday at the Curtis & Jacqueline Dail Outdoor Tennis Stadium.

Is that another of those words that means something different in America?

That is funny! However, it was Miami, so there may have been knives (edges) involved. JK Miami fans!

How about the Kentucky website:
No. 22 Kentucky Routs Mizzou (it actually says routes on the front page). It was a 4-2 match and Kentucky was down in the unfinished #5 match.

So, to me...a "rout" is 7-0 and being "edged" is 4-2 or 4-3.

However, the school's website usually try to shine the team in the best light!

Last edited by TennisDad; Mar 10th, 2014 at 12:13 PM.
TennisDad is offline  
post #304 of 340 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2014, 01:02 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 12
 
Re: Acc

A great win on Saturday for the Canes against No. 17 Baylor. The final score was 4-0, but if Bolivar had not taken her match, it could have gone down to three three-set matches. A very good win for the Canes.

Canes Results
Kirijax is offline  
post #305 of 340 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 12
 
Re: Acc

The roller coaster ride of an expatriate college tennis fan. It ain't easy and can be pretty frustrating. the situation in college tennis right now is downright horrible and unacceptable. If they kept the scoreboard updates for football/basketball, there would be mass uprisings and American would cease to exist as we know it.

The Roller Coaster Ride of an Expatriate College Tennis Fan
Kirijax is offline  
post #306 of 340 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2014, 06:15 PM
Senior Member
 
tie_breaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,225
                     
Re: Acc

Yes!!! it sounds all too familiar...the lengths we go through to find out the score or what is happening, especially when the team is playing on the road and I have to rely on twitter updates or worse no updates until long after the match is over!

It doesn't seem fair but its not like I feel I have a right to complain, knowing that tennis fans like me are a small minority and knowing tennis doesn't bring in the money that football and basketball does.

It would be strange, yet funny to imagine if one day, athletes decide to choose tennis over the big 3 sports. What it would be like if tennis rose to the same level in popularity, resulting to live television broadcasting of all games
tie_breaker is offline  
post #307 of 340 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2014, 06:33 PM
Senior Member
 
2nd_serve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,248
                     
Re: Acc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie_breaker View Post
Yes!!! it sounds all too familiar...the lengths we go through to find out the score or what is happening, especially when the team is playing on the road and I have to rely on twitter updates or worse no updates until long after the match is over!

It doesn't seem fair but its not like I feel I have a right to complain, knowing that tennis fans like me are a small minority and knowing tennis doesn't bring in the money that football and basketball does.

It would be strange, yet funny to imagine if one day, athletes decide to choose tennis over the big 3 sports. What it would be like if tennis rose to the same level in popularity, resulting to live television broadcasting of all games
IMHO, the answer is finding the right communication channel to the size of the event. College tennis will never be a regular on television, but online streaming will continue to improve, and will be better than television coverage has ever been.

I actually, like following a match on twitter.

But to improve twitter coverage it would be nice if the host school would be a suggested #hashtag for every match. So that instead of just following a teams' account, we could follow a #hashtag during an event and get 140's from several voices.
2nd_serve is offline  
post #308 of 340 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2014, 07:12 PM
Senior Member
 
tie_breaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,225
                     
Re: Acc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd_serve View Post
IMHO, the answer is finding the right communication channel to the size of the event. College tennis will never be a regular on television, but online streaming will continue to improve, and will be better than television coverage has ever been.

I actually, like following a match on twitter.

But to improve twitter coverage it would be nice if the host school would be a suggested #hashtag for every match. So that instead of just following a teams' account, we could follow a #hashtag during an event and get 140's from several voices.
That's a great idea! I don't know how much of the older crowd are into tweeting updates, but definitely I'm sure the younger crowd would do this...
tie_breaker is offline  
post #309 of 340 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2014, 10:11 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 12
 
Re: Acc

There are so many good ideas out there and I'm sure there are people/fans willing to make it work. A shame it is the way it is. Tennis deserves better.
Kirijax is offline  
post #310 of 340 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2014, 10:15 PM
Senior Member
 
tie_breaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,225
                     
Re: Acc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirijax View Post
There are so many good ideas out there and I'm sure there are people/fans willing to make it work. A shame it is the way it is. Tennis deserves better.
Yes it does, but it's like fine wine, it takes a special palette to appreciate!
tie_breaker is offline  
post #311 of 340 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2014, 01:51 PM
Senior Member
 
mboyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 18,514
                     
Re: Acc

Sorry I can't keep up with all the rule changes. Are they now playing doubles last? Or is that just a Duke thing?

Romney/Ryan 2012
mboyle is offline  
post #312 of 340 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2014, 02:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Amalgamate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,853
                     
Re: Acc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboyle View Post
Sorry I can't keep up with all the rule changes. Are they now playing doubles last? Or is that just a Duke thing?
They do that for College Match Day, when it is featured/streamed on ESPN3. They're doing it in an effort to shorten matches for TV viewing. If the match is tied at 3-3 after singles, they play 10 point tiebreaks for doubles This happened for the first time in the Alabama/Florida match yesterday.

http://www.usta.com/College-Tennis/c...tches_in_2014/

Serena Williams
Victoria Azarenka Venus Williams
Sloane Stephens Christina McHale
Amalgamate is offline  
post #313 of 340 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2014, 06:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 1,293
                     
Re: Acc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalgamate View Post
They do that for College Match Day, when it is featured/streamed on ESPN3. They're doing it in an effort to shorten matches for TV viewing. If the match is tied at 3-3 after singles, they play 10 point tiebreaks for doubles This happened for the first time in the Alabama/Florida match yesterday.

http://www.usta.com/College-Tennis/c...tches_in_2014/
That is crazy. I guess it makes the singles matches much more crucial and puts greater pressure on them.
knoxt is offline  
post #314 of 340 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2014, 11:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,008
                     
Re: Acc

Clemson beats #1 Duke 4-3

http://clemsontigers.com/fls/28500/t...tats/xlive.htm
CTSEMT is offline  
post #315 of 340 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2014, 01:18 AM
Senior Member
 
tucker1989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 23,630
                     
Re: Acc

Hopefully this will knock Duke out of the #1 spot. Some extremely impressive wins from Clemson. They won all of their singles matches in three sets.
tucker1989 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome