#9 USC 6, #57 UC Irvine 1
Jan. 25 - Marks Stadium
(1) Kinstler/Sanchez (USC) def. Byron/Hammel (UCI) - 8-6
(2) Lao/Ramos (USC) def. Holladay/Kwan (UCI) - 8-2
(3) Bartlett/Smith (UCI) def. Andrews/Pulido (USC) - 8-7 (1)
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
USC wins doubles point.
I was much impressed by Kinstler/Sanchez's defensive lob skills. They parried
UCI's attack with those, frustrating their offense. Nice win.
Lao/Ramos combo is fixed, they should play with each other in the remainder
of theIr school years
And Smith, she's real, gouci
Her doubles skills were really good. Didn't
lose the driving battle against Pulido and Andrews, and net skills were superb
as well. Bartlett is of course, SW R consolation winner.
They consolidated the win by successfully attacking down the line.
(1) #8 Maria Sanchez (USC) def. #109 Stephanie Hammel (UCI) - 6-0, 6-4
(2) #39 Alison Ramos (USC) def. April Bisharat (UCI) - 6-1, 6-2
(3) #18 Danielle Lao (USC) def. Brooke Bartlett (UCI) - 6-3, 6-2*
(4) #37 Valeria Pulido (USC) def. Courtney Byron (UCI) - 6-1, 6-2
(5) Cristala Andrews (USC) def. Becka Kwan (UCI) - 6-2, 1-6, 6-0
(6) Kristina Smith (UCI) def. Lyndsay Kinstler (USC) - 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
Order of finish: 2, 4, 3*, 1, 5, 6
Hammel and Bisharat are quite powerful, but those UEs. Control was the
obvious problem. Those two & Bartlett, Smith, even Kwan got a set against
Andrews, they have potential. But I think LBS players were more consistent,
making less UEs.
One thing's for sure. UCI vs LBS would be pretty exciting.
Fansler(injured?), Entekhabi didn't play for USC.