Day 1 Big West Observations
1. Why no Jessica Weeks? Does Long Beach State only take 6 players on road trips?
Was she sick, injured ... or is planning to transfer?
2. Rachel Manasse is playing in the Blue draw and Lisa Sutton is playing in the White draw.
Looks like Manasse has jumped over Sutton on the depth chart.
Props to Manasse for beating Ariane Masschelein who played #3-5 singles for Arizona.
3. Lisa Sutton and Julie Luzar have been relegated to the "bench draw." More than half the players in the White draw are walk-ons or sit on the bench for their teams. Thought would at least get to see Sutton vs Luzar in the finals to see who between them might play at #6 singles.
4. Props to the Long Beach State athletic website for promptly posting their results for Day 1. More than can be said for the host school.
5. #64 Hannah Grady (Long Beach State) loses in upset to unranked Alessandra Ferrazi (Minnesota) 6-3, 5-7, 4-6.
Grady did a "Steffi Wong." She won the 1st set but ended up losing in three.
Day 1 upsets
1. Kristina Doerr (BYU) beats Claire Ilcinkas (Cal) 6-4, 6-2
2. Claire Soper (St. Mary's) beats Abigail Olivier (Fresno St.) 6-0, 6-4
3. Kateryna Nezhura (Pacific) beats Laura Pola (Fresno St.) 6-2, 6-3
- Maybe Fresno St. won't be winning the national title with Olivier & Pola after all.
4. Sianna Simmons (ASU) beats Stephany Chang (Cal) 6-4, 7-5